Sign in to follow this  
John Drew

Movie Theatre Subscription Packages

Link to 

Are any other A&F patrons members of MoviePass, or any other similar theatre discount programs? How has you experience been?

This could be a short lived thread if theatre subscription packages keep dying off. I could only find two mentions for MoviePass on the boards, and zero for Sinemia. Like MoviePass (actually, I’m not sure what’s up with that service at this time), Sinemia has just announced it is closing down operations in North America. Story here. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fool.com/amp/investing/2019/05/04/sinemia-shuts-its-us-operations-will-amcs-stubs-a.aspx

I subscribe to AMC A-list, which doesn’t seem in danger of shutting down, and am loving the value I get out of it. 3 movies per week (Fri-Thur), any format, no blackouts times. It only excludes Fathom Events features. And all for $20 a month. The price did go up to $24 a month in January (which is still a great deal), but I signed up last November and locked in the lower rate for a year. The only commitment you really have to make is a mandatory 3 month subscription. 

I know Cinemark Theatres also have their own in-house subscription package, but I don’t know their details. 

Edited by John Drew

AMC A-list is awesome. I'm seeing movies in theaters — and good movies, too — once a week at least these days. 

I was a happy Moviepass user for a while, but wow — that service fell apart spectacularly.

11 hours ago, Overstreet said:

AMC A-list is awesome. I'm seeing movies in theaters — and good movies, too — once a week at least these days. 

I push the limits of the A-list package. Since November, I think there have  only been two weeks where I didn’t max out the three movies per week limit. Which means I have seen good films, mediocre films, and a couple of outright bad films (I’m looking at you, Mortal Engines). But A-list has afforded me the opportunity to see many films on the big screen that I might have ignored, or waited til a streaming service started showing them. I doubt I would have seen films like AMAZING GRACE in Dolby Cinema presentation, THEY SHALL NOT GROW OLD in 3D, APOLLO 11 in IMAX, the insanely improbable yet outrageously entertaining Chinese film THE WANDERING EARTH, or smaller films like Ashgar Farhadi’s EVERYBODY KNOWS, or Vincent D’Onofrio’s western THE KID if I didn’t have A-list. 

Edited by John Drew

I don't use A-list or MoviePass b/c I get most of my screenings for free. I have one friend who did MoviePass and he liked it but felt pressure to go to the movies to justify the expense. I've considered signing up for the membership at Alamo Drafthouse b/c I go there to get DVDs and it is on my way to one of my work locations. I suspect the future will be like grocery stores, with each theater or chain having their own system. (I have been on AMC stubbs and Regal Rewards forever and occasionally get a free movie.)

Another thing I love about A-List is I can go see something twice in quick succession, which is extremely helpful with reviews. I saw Amazing Grace twice, which never would have happened if I was paying full price.

I'm also finding that I much prefer to see movies with a typical audience at a typical screening than my old press-screening routine, which was either a nearly-empty theater (if it was press only) or a theater 3/4 full of an audience of screening-chasers who tend to be loud, obnoxious, and enthusiastic about anything they see. That particular crowd of free-pass-enthusiasts has a reputation in Seattle — there was a cover story in the Seattle Weekly once, branding them "The Passholes."

Anyway, I get a better sense of how a movie plays with a typical audience by seeing it with — gasp! — a typical audience.

I am on hold for 20 minutes as I type trying to cancel AMC A-List. 

I really despise products that let you sign up online but deliberately make it difficult for you to cancel/discontinue. The AMC site offers no discontinue option, instead mandating that you call in or use a chat function that requires you to select from an option of why you are contacting them but does not list "cancel my account" as one of the options.