Jeremy Ratzlaff

Examples of a 'Release of Grace' found in Transcendental Films

Greetings, all - it's been about five years since I checked in here! So thrilled to see a brand new Top 25 list fresh off the polls. Can't wait to dive into that.

I've been on a pretty big Paul Schrader/Transcendental Style binge since seeing First Reformed earlier this year, and I've been burdened with a strong desire to do some personal categorizing for all the films that have spoken to my soul over the years and the films that I wish to deliberately seek more of going forward.

One of the elements of the transcendental film that has most fascinated me is what I've heard Paul refer to as 'freeing the audience,' when he describes the way the Bresson will reward his patient viewers with a sudden burst of music at the very end or the way Ozu will suddenly let his characters be visibly emotional after being conditioned not to expect it, etc. (This interview includes a great short summary of this.) My heart leapt for joy when I heard this described this way, because it's very similar to a bold filmmaking technique that I began to notice in some of my favourite films years ago and that I used to describe as a 'Grace' moment. Specifically, I've thought of it as a moment that is essentially a small miracle (God overtly making himself known?) in a world then has up to that point been agnostic and/or whose characters have struggled with faith.

Examples that have significantly stood out to me, personally, as 'grace' moments (POTENTIAL SPOILERS):

Ordet, obviously.
Stalker, when it begins to rain inside the Zone.
Magnolia and, I would argue, several of PTA's other films (I made a video essay about this specifically)
Breaking the Waves, the last shot.
Dekalog: I, the ending with the computer and the church.

I've been struggling to better finesse this definition, and maybe I'm completely reaching through the weeds in my attempts, but I'm curious if 'Release of Grace' sparks to mind any other examples? Am I misinterpreting or undercutting Schrader's definition as it pertains to transcendental style?

Hi Jeremy. Good to hear from you.

I was at a conference last week and ended up discussing Transcendental Style with my co-presenter. I'm sort of the opinion that "transcendental style" was always a catch-all term for the films (stylistically) different that affected Schrader in a particular way. I think he hints as much by putting the renewed emphasis on how they *affect* viewers rather than on *how* they affect viewers. 

In that vein, I've always assumed Pickpocket was the quintessential example since it seemed to be the one that prompted his projected more than any other. The end of "A Man Escaped" seems to operate in the same way (sudden release of emotion that is the more powerful because we are leaning in.)

This is a weird example, but I just rewatched Persuasion, and I think in some ways Anne's reading of Wentworth's letter operates emotionally in similar ways to what Schrader describes, though it does not have the music cues. 

Here's another really odd example from pop-culture. For me, the end of Rounders follows that same emotional arc of withheld emotions followed by a burst of release. Because a poker face calls for no affect (tells), McDermott (Matt Damon) has to not show emotions. And there isn't much in the way of musical cues. The sudden outburst of Teddy KGB after the climactic hand provides an external release of emotion which is so much more powerful than would be the visualization of McDermott fist pumping or jumping up and down. I also note how the use of Foley sound increases the tension (chips, cards) and makes noticeable the lack of music in the first half of the scene. (Note: this scene has some profanity):