DiligentSTND

Want to pursue voice acting, however I'm depressed because...

I'm a budding Christian. I've lived in a Christian home all my life, gone to church all my life, the works. From a young age, I wanted to act in some way, shape or form.

Within the last decade or so, I'd decided that I wanted to voice act for video games, especially out of a fondness for the stories that can be told in mediums such as those. 

Recently, however, I've been confronted with the possibility that some roles I undertake could involve the utterance of profane language.

And as it relates to that, I've heard everything. There are those who say that it's the thoughts behind the words that make them unclean. There are those who think that the words themselves are unclean. There are those saying these words are impactful because we give them power over us. 

I know what the Bible says in relation to this, and it makes me feel as though if I continue with this, then I give up my salvation. If I don't, then I remain miserable. At least that's how I feel right now.

I don't go into this with the intention of just cussing my fool head off, or anything. And it doesn't bother me as much as it (perhaps?) should. And there are Christian actors out there (Jim Caviezel, for instance), who swear in roles but don't do other things like sex scenes or some such. Why is that? Are they just not convicted on that front? I don't understand. I wish I could, I need understanding right now. 

Sorry if I sounded too dramatic, and thank you for your responses. 

EDIT: It occurred to me I may have posted this in the wrong section. If this is indeed the case, apologies. 

Edited by DiligentSTND
Added details

Hi Diligent. 
There is another thread in this forum about swearing on stage, so you are welcome to review some previous discussions:

I guess my initial response, just based on what you wrote, is that if it really causes you to fear that you will lose your salvation, you shouldn't do it. The operating principle for me is the whole meat offered to idols analogy in the Pauline epistle. The undergirding action may not be intrinsically wrong, but if it causes you to sin against your own conscience, it doesn't matter much. I do hope and pray for you that you can find the peace to engage in your passions without feeling as though you are being inauthentic to your beliefs. 

But, as you say, there are others who have walked the path you are on and had to wrestle with similar doubts, so I wouldn't give up hope that you will never be able to understand or participate in professions that seem incompatible with your beliefs. As we grow older, our beliefs mature. We sometimes have more discernment and some may even remain passionately committed to the Bible but come to understand or interpret its teachings differently. 

Perfect love casts out fear, and God did not give us a spirit of fear. So, while I don't know the answer to your question (or how to communicate the answers I think I might know), I do know (or at least believe) that as you grow, fear does sometimes abate. 

P.S. I think I moved this to the "faith" forum rather than the Theater forum, though I understand that it could fit in either.

Maybe you can search for "Christian radio drama" and podcasts, and see if some of them are looking for voice talents. You can also come up with your own.