Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Howard Shore conducts LOTR symphony!

I'll write about this soon, but I'm too busy at the moment.

Suffice it to say that on Friday night, I went to Seattle's beautiful Benaroya Hall and witnessed Howard Shore conducting the Seattle symphony, with a men's chorus, a women's chorus, and a boys' chorus, in his new re-shaped soundtrack work The Lord of the Rings Symphony. It was fantastic.

Here are some reviews at The One Ring.

I can't wait to hear the review Jeffrey... I believe they are recording it for the uber-box set of LOTR music that will eventually come out later this year or next year.

There's a great theme for Treebeard that I don't think was ever in the films.

Shore completely downplays... almost eliminates... that dark motif that plays every time we see the Isengard activities, or that plays when the Uruk-Hai are running alongside the fellowship in the boat. I'm so glad. That theme got very old very quickly, and was sorely overused in TTT.

The singer that's touring with him, Sissell, is extraordinary. When she walked onto the stage, a wave of awe swept across the audience. She surpassed Annie Lennox's performance with no trouble at all.

Jeffrey Overstreet wrote:

: The singer that's touring with him, Sissell, is extraordinary.

The voice of Titanic herself, eh?

I can never hear her name without thinking of that soundtrack, and of that "bee-yatch" song she did with Warren G -- which, I find, now that I've Googled their collaboration, has been turned into an apparently popular ringtone.