Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Deadwood: The Movie

Link to TV series thread: 

Link to my review of the TV movie that concludes the series: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/2019/06/at-last-a-sunny-day-in-deadwood/

I won't repeat myself, but like the TV show, the film mixes faith and reverence with the profane and doubting.  Having studied this TV series second only in intensity to The Wire, this was a bigger TV event to me than the GoT finale, and I was mostly delighted and satisfied.  And the film would've made an excellent addition to our Growing Older films list, since it concerns itself with mortality and how we morph (or don't) over time.  To cite but two such quotes:

- “Make friends with [your] ghosts, they ain’t fucking going anywhere.”

- "All bleeding stops eventually."

I stay away from other reviews before I publish my own, so I just learned from the "Fresh Air" review that Deadwood's creator David Milch has Alzheimer's.  I'm stunned.  (And I'm in awe that he wrote the script for the movie as well as for an episode of True Detective this past season, considering he was first diagnosed in 2015.)

Haven't seen anything of Deadwood, but I wish the late David Lavery were here to see this movie, because he would doubtless have been delighted. He edited this anthology back in 2006 and frequently mentioned the show as one of the all-time greats.

I've considered buying Lavery's book, but for now I've only read the BFI book-length analysis and Milch's own book, a mix of coffee table photos and serious analysis.  It's a show that rewards deep consideration.

Matt Zoller Seitz is crowdfunding a book on deadwood, called A Lie Agreed Upon.