Sign in to follow this  
Brian D

Terrence Malick's The Last Planet

Malick...life of Christ...a film called The Last Planet...maybe just a little exciting for us at A and F?  

https://thefilmstage.com/news/terrence-malick-begins-shooting-new-film-the-last-planet/

Reports are coming in that the elusive filmmaker has begun shooting his next film near Rome. Various Italian publications are reporting that Malick has embarked on a shoot for his new film The Last Planet near Anzio, south of Rome, notably in the nature reserve of Tor Caldara. The film will reportedly convey passages “in the life of Christ” through representing evangelical parables. One Big Soul adds that the shoot has actually been underway for a few weeks.

One thing I'm very curious about for this project is the casting: is Jesus actually in this film, and if so, who portrays him?

A report from Allocine via One Big Soul: Mark Rylance will play Satan in The Last Planet, with Géza Röhrig as Jesus and Matthias Schoenaerts as the apostle Peter:

"We are shooting in October, and the incredible actor of THE SON OF SAUL will be Jesus, so my challenge will be to make him understand how wrong he is (laughs). Terry wrote four versions of the character of Satan, and I thought I was supposed to embody only one of them but I learned that I was going to play all four. One of them had to be a woman at one point. But that's when he asked me to let my beard grow that I realized that I was not going to do it that way. I'm very happy to be playing for Terrence Malick, but it's intriguing, because it seems he's talking to you all the way in. And coming from the theater, I'm not used to the director shouting at me while I play or telling me what to do, but his films have always intrigued me."