Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

The Plot Against America

Since The Wire is the best thing ever to hit television (no hyperbole), any new Simon/Burns project is cause for huzzahs.  However, I can't imagine why he chose now to adapt Philip Roth's alternative history novel about a fascist, white supremacist president.  (On Marc Maron's podcast, John Turturro said that Simon's been planning this since Dubya's tenure, but sat on it through the Obama presidency, feeling the timing wasn't right.)

Here's HBO's press release: https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/the-plot-against-america-david-simon

Roth's novel is...not my favorite. Come to think of it, I've never really read a Roth novel that I liked all that much. But Simon/Burns is promising.

I actually liked the premise of Roth's novel better than its execution.  But Simon is such a wise soul and a masterful storyteller - only "Generation Kill" hasn't roped me in, post-"Wire" - that I have high hopes for this project.