Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

A&F Top 25: Growing Older -- Call for Papers

Here is a copy of the Call For Papers announcement: https://1morefilmblog.com/2019/06/16/cfp-arts-faiths-top-25/

I have not formally put the book under contract but anticipate no problem in doing so. I am simply waiting until after the July 31 proposal deadline so that I can provide the publisher with a preliminary list of essays.

To be honest, I am skeptical about generating the required number of essays, but one never knows until one asks. If there are less than 10 proposals, I don't think it is worth pursuing. If there are 15 or more, that's sufficient. Between 10-14 would depend on who pitched an essay, how reliable and experienced the writers are, etc.

I will copy the list titles here momentarily, and I will update it if I get any pitches so as to avoid having multiple last-minute pitches on same topic. 

1. The Straight Story
  2. Late Spring
  3. Wild Strawberries
  4. Make Way for Tomorrow
  5. The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
  6. Limelight
  7. Tokyo Story
  8. The Gleaners & I
  9. Poetry
  10. 35 Up
  11. Umberto D.
  12. Before Midnight
  13. Gertrud
  14. Faces Places
  15. The Man Who Planted Trees
  16. Things to Come
  17. Persuasion
  18. Summer Hours
  19. Another Year
  20. Maadadayo Madadayo
  21. 35 Shots of Rum
  22. Sunset Boulevard
  23. You Can't Take it WIth You
  24. The Remains of the Day
  25. King Lear

FWIW, if the book does move forward, I'm thinking I may write a comparison of King Lear and Sunset Boulevard as sort of male/female nightmares of aging. But...it's hard for me to resist writing about Jane Austen whenever that's a possibility. In previous anthologies, my focus has sometimes changed as other essay proposals came in.

Also FWIW, Joel has expressed some interest/willingness to write the introduction, but I am sure he would also be willing to do an essay if there is a better fit for intro. 

I'll share the CFP as well and we'll see who sends in proposals. I'm happy to write an introduction as well as an essay (or two!) for a film (I wrote blurbs on Before Midnight and Another Year for the list). Thanks for putting this together, Ken!

I'd love to have an excuse to write at length about Denis's films in this context, but my fall is booked up with other projects. Good luck, Ken!

I have a longer piece on Summer Hours that I've presented as a conference paper and I'd love to expand and revise. I'll throw something together.

2 hours ago, Darren H said:

I'd love to have an excuse to write at length about Denis's films in this context, but my fall is booked up with other projects. Good luck, Ken!

Yep. I'd be pretty surprised if there is enough interest, but I've been surprised before. If not, perhaps thinking about it will add some momentum for doing a Top 100 in 2020. I've got three new course preps for Fall, so I can't say I'd be crushed if it doesn't make. But I do like the idea of having *something* to accompany the A&F lists...and this forum tends to do a little better if there is some sort of communal project as opposed to just chattering about the newest releases (which is fun, I admit). 

Of course, it could be the case in which the board begins to take a shape around a seasonal calendar...with some sort of Top 25 in the first half of the year and the Ecumenical Jury in the end...leaving people the Summer to, you know, live their lives....

Is the group of available films for discussion limited to those in the list?  I ask because I'd been kicking around a comparison piece on MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and AMOUR and Haneke's film isn't on it.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

Is the group of available films for discussion limited to those in the list?  I ask because I'd been kicking around a comparison piece on MAKE WAY FOR TOMORROW and AMOUR and Haneke's film isn't on it.

I'd be okay with a comparison of a film that is on the list to one that is not or to a theme that included films on the list as well as films not on it. I wouldn't want an essay just about a film that wasn't on the list. But I think something like you describe would be fine.

I'm game for writing a chapter on growing old with either Ozu or Kurosawa, drawing from Eriksonian and/or existential points of view.  If you have a taker for one, I'll gladly write about the other.

It is possible if we had a smaller number of people interested (say 5-8) we could write longer essays, but that would be a bit of a discussion. Will give it some time to see what response rate is.

I would really enjoy doing a piece on the Growing Older list in relation to the 
concept of legacy.

How does the concept of legacy manifest itself in the lives of these 
characters?
Along with this, how do the films themselves (especially works like 
Limelight and the Varda films) function as a legacy handed down by their 
directors?
As we grow old, what kinds of legacies do we hope to leave?
As filmmakers reach their mature years, what kind of legacies do THEY want 
to pass on to those who will come after them?

This topic could be quite a fruitful one, and in fact could be discussed in 
relation to almost every film on the list. Space likely wouldn't allow for 
treating all of the films, but there is quite a bit of potential for a 
wider overview.