Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

TIFF 2019

It's a definite sign that I'm ready for this muggy Tennessee summer to end, that I'm checking the TIFF website daily for any news (none yet, naturally).

So, who's going?  Jessica and I will be there for its entirety.

I didn't go last year just because I was suffering some post-tenure burnout, and I missed it less than I thought I would. (Partly because of the inaugural Filmfest 919 in Chapel Hill and better access to FYC screeners). Due to budget cuts at work, I didn't put in to go this year, though I think I will return at some point. Just such a hard time of the year for me since my university starts classes the end of August.

I will miss seeing you and Jessica though. 

7 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

I didn't go last year just because I was suffering some post-tenure burnout, and I missed it less than I thought I would. (Partly because of the inaugural Filmfest 919 in Chapel Hill and better access to FYC screeners). Due to budget cuts at work, I didn't put in to go this year, though I think I will return at some point. Just such a hard time of the year for me since my university starts classes the end of August.

I will miss seeing you and Jessica though. 

I'm sorry to read this, but I certainly understand the timing issue for you.  I'm glad we have Full Frame to catch up in person at least once yearly.

I'll be there for a few days. I'm teaching my first Cinema Studies course at UT this fall, so my plan is to fly up on Wednesday, skip my Thursday class, and then fly back on Tuesday in time to teach that afternoon. I have to admit that the TIFF thrill is finally -- after 15 years! -- starting to fade for me a bit. I'll be able to watch films for five full days, including all of the Wavelengths shorts programs, pick up some interviews, see a bunch of friends, and eat a couple good meals. I'm usually ready to leave on Tuesday morning anyway, so this should work out well.

With the short TIFF trip, I figure I can also justify going up to New York for more of Projections during NYFF. My course is on film criticism, so the department head is encouraging me to go to fests. My boss at my day job is also supportive. I'm really grateful for the opportunity.

I might be in for a film or two. University starts here the week after Labour Day, so it's a tough time, but I might pop in on the weekend to catch something. My teaching schedule is Mondays and Wednesdays this fall, so I can conceivably make a Friday screening on first weekend.

Well, Anders and Darren, maybe our paths will cross in Toronto this year.  This will "only" be my fifth TIFF - and including Full Frame in April, my ninth film fest overall - so I still get that Christmas Eve feeling as each festival approaches.  Glad to see that TIFF will start making film announcements next Tuesday.  

With the Wavelengths and Masters lineups announced today, this is shaping up to be a really strong year. My only major disappointment is that it looks like Kelly Reichardt's new film will premiere at Telluride and then skip TIFF before screening at NYFF. I'd also heard rumors of a new Tsai Ming-liang feature that didn't make the lineup, apparently. I wonder if I'll be able to squeeze in 30 films in five days? :)