kenmorefield

Top 100 for 2020 -- Organization

Greetings all. 

In the discussion leading up to this year's Top 25, there was some indication about doing a Top 100 in 2020. 

That conversation has extended offline when I discussed book project(s) with possible contributors. 

Although it is some months off before 2020, one thing I learned in the 2019 Top 25 is that the smaller number of current A&F participants means such projects need a slightly longer lead time. Part of that is the principle of inertia -- people aren't in the habit of checking in at A&F as frequently. Part is the difference between "interest" and actual intention. It is harder for people to carve out time in their schedules for projects that pop up and need proximate attention.

Consequently, I went ahead and set up this forum and began this thread in order to:

• Announce the intention to do a Top 100 list in 2020.
  • Solicit volunteer(s) to handle the logistics. 
  • Settle on dates and mechanics so that those on the fence would have a clear idea of how and when we would proceed. 

I have had 1-2 people tell me privately that they would be willing to take on an administrative role for a Top 100 list. I'm happy to just assign that, but I want to be conscious of giving anyone who wants to take a more active role a chance to speak up rather than just reflexively going to my friends or those I'm most comfortable with. 

So, what is this thread for? I'm glad you asked. I'd like to take a week or so and have a thread where anyone interested in doing a 2020 Top 100 posts any questions or concerns they might have and anyone can post his/her willingness to take on one or more administrative roles. It's my hope that the division of labor can be done by consensus, but I'm willing to make *some* decisions if needed. I just don't want a Top 100 to be "Ken's" project. I don't think it will be, but I'm worried that absent *someone* who is the final decision maker for logistical questions, thinkg will stall and dissipate because everyone is waiting for *someone* to make a decision but nobody feels empowered to do so. 

I'm absolutely on board for a new top 100 next year. As I did with the Growing Older list, I'm happy to keep a running list of all nominated and seconded titles. I could probably help with other logistics depending on how much more time consuming they would be. How much different would the process for a top 100 be from a top 25 (other than many more titles to vote on)?

Thanks for beginning the formal conversation about a Top 100 list, Ken. I'd be happy to lead or co-lead the organizing of the list. Coordinating the Ecumenical Jury for the past few years has been a pleasure, and I'd be glad to participate in the 2020 Top 100 list in a substantial administrative way.

I'm curious about the timeline--when would we envision a list like this being published online? And is the Top 100 book project still a go?

Speaking of the Ecumenical Jury--are we still up for doing that at the end of this year as well? That's probably another topic for a new thread, but this conversation reminded me about it.

5 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

I'm curious about the timeline--when would we envision a list like this being published online? And is the Top 100 book project still a go?

I think that would ultimately be up to the point-person. I would be happy to offer suggestions or input but don't necessarily want to dictate. I guess my assumption was that it would be early in the year since that is slow season, movie wise, particularly after Oscars. Also, worth considering how long we want to keep nominations open. Perhaps that is or should be part of the discussion. I heard at least one participant say that perhaps the 2019 Top 25 dragged on a bit; I didn't necessarily feel that, but there is a different energy from maybe ten years ago when there was fresh content a couple times a day to here where we have more leisurely conversations. I haven't been involved in the Top 100 since one of the real early ones...like 2006 maybe?  So anyone taking point may need to do some listening and then some decision making about things like dates, rules (limit number of films by one director? count trilogies? reinstate the Dekalog Exemption? made-for-television movies now that Netflix is a playa? what requirements, if any, for voting? do we need to revisit the weighted voting? iMy management philosophy, such as it is, is to try to allow the people doing the work as much leeway to make the decisions.

Speaking of the Ecumenical Jury--are we still up for doing that at the end of this year as well? That's probably another topic for a new thread, but this conversation reminded me about it.

I am certainly interested, though I  tend to not think much about End-of-year stuff until post-TIFF, which is when I think awards season really gets going. Still, if the EJ involves drumming up jurors, a little too early is better than a little too late. I can post a forum for it it shortly. 

kenmorefield wrote:
I tend to not think much about End-of-year stuff until post-TIFF, which is when I think awards season really gets going. 

I hear ya... but TIFF starts very soon, and even VIFF (which begins a week or two after TIFF ends) is already accepting media applications. It feels like festival season (and thus awards season) has basically begun already, in some ways...