kenmorefield

Top 100 for 2020 -- Organization

4 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

*Checks list* Well, now I feel like I should have nominated more 1930s films!

I had one, then I cut it last minute. Now I wish I had kept it (presuming someone else didn't nominate it).

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Ken and Cindy sitting at table; Ken is scanning  InstantWatcher, which he follows on Twitter, to see what it tranding.

Ken: Wait! There is a Boss Baby sequel? Why was I not told! [Clicks on Netflix link] Oh, it's a television show.

[Pause.]

Darn it!
Cindy: What's wrong?
Ken: I forgot to nominate Boss Baby for the A&F Top 100...

Hi folks,

New user, long time follower of the A&F lists. Wondering if the nomination and/or voting process is open to new users. Thanks and great work folks.

List submitted. There's definitely some recency bias, simply because I might be younger than a lot of people on this forum, and because I was hesitant to nominate films that I don't have a particularly strong memory of, even if I vaguely recall them being "spiritually significant" to me at the time. 

My breakdown by decade:

1930s – 2

1940s – 2

1960s – 2

1970s – 1

1980s - 3

1990s – 4

2000s – 2

2010s - 9

If we have 176 films from nine lists, that's actually less overlap than I expected. That means about three quarters of the films nominated are unique to a single list.

I'm still planning to submit a list. One thing holding me back, frankly, is embarrassment at having seen so few films compared to many here, but surely I can't screw up the final list too badly just by adding a few to the nominations pool, and hopefully I'll be able to watch enough films before voting to submit a ballot I can stand behind.

That was intense and inspired the longest film journey I have taken in years. Thanks for the inspiration, all. I am very interested in hearing everyone's story, thought process, etc... Really tried to bracket out the what is everyone else picking question.

1920s – 2

1950s – 2

1960s – 4

1970s – 3

1990s – 2

2000s – 4

2010s - 8

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

My final breakdown was:

1920s - 2

1950s - 3

1960s - 3

1970s - 2

1980s - 4

1990s- 4

2000s - 1

2010s - 6

As to the "will someone else nominate this question," I had seven I felt pretty confident someone else would cover, so I cut the three I felt less strongly about and kept the other four.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

If we have 176 films from nine lists, that's actually less overlap than I expected. 

But there's more and more overlap with each new list. If the goal is to vote it down to a list of 100 films, I'm glad we'll have a pool of 2-3 times that many to choose from.

I'm still not sure what my top 25 will look like exactly, but I've been thinking it might be fun, after the full list of nominees is revealed, to post it with a few words about each. Like Jeffrey mentioned earlier, some of my choices might not make sense without understanding why they're so significant to me.

Edited by Darren H

If we're posting decade breakdowns:

1920s: 1

1930s: 0

1940s: 2 (from the same year!)

1950s: 3

1960s: 0

1970s: 2

1980s: 2

1990s: 1

2000s: 5

2010s: 9

As I said in an earlier post, my nominations strongly skew towards 21st-century films, as I tried to focus on noteworthy films which hadn't appeared on previous iterations of the Top 100 (at least the 2010 and 2011 versions).

8 hours ago, Darren H said:

I'm still not sure what my top 25 will look like exactly, but I've been thinking it might be fun, after the full list of nominees is revealed, to post it with a few words about each. Like Jeffrey mentioned earlier, some of my choices might not make sense without understanding why they're so significant to me.

I'm planning to do that as well, and would be delighted if everyone did the same.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I'm planning to do that as well, and would be delighted if everyone did the same.

I'm not sure if I'll do that with my whole list (though I have no objection if others do), but I do hope that discussion will follow of all sorts that will populate some of the threads. 

Our deadline is April 1, right? Looks like we have 11 participants. SDG is sick. I know we've made special accommodation for him with these lists in the past, although I don't know for sure that he was planning to participate this time. Is there anyone else we're expecting to hear from before April 1, and if so, do they need a gentle reminder of the deadline? (Apologies if I've misunderstood the deadlines/procedures/qualifications for the full vote. Wouldn't be the first time. I can delete this post if it simply sows confusion, but thought it best to post here rather than DM.)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

16 minutes ago, Christian said:

Our deadline is April 1, right? Looks like we have 11 participants. SDG is sick. I know we've made special accommodation for him with these lists in the past, although I don't know for sure that he was planning to participate this time. Is there anyone else we're expecting to hear from before April 1, and if so, do they need a gentle reminder of the deadline? (Apologies if I've misunderstood the deadlines/procedures/qualifications for the full vote. Wouldn't be the first time. I can delete this post if it simply sows confusion, but thought it best to post here rather than DM.)

SDG messaged me today and wanted to know if he had missed the deadline for participating, so I think he is still going to try. I think Rushmore said earlier in this thread that he was intending to submit a list. Other than posting a couple of places in Social Media, I haven't really tried to track people down and badger them about participation. I'm assuming PTC still might, but he hasn't said so. Also, I'm a little surprised that Brian D and Ed Bertram have not submitted nominees since they are not frequent forum participants but did do the Top 25 and indicated a desire to participate in the threads leading up. I don't know where they are in world and how Pandemic is affecting them, so if anyone does, Christian's suggestion of a reminder might not be a bad idea. Nathaniel has been around here, though mostly in the TV and literature threads. Rusty (new guy above) asked if he could participate.. Anders has been a little lest frequent around these parts with academic work kicking in, but he participated in last Top 25 and Ecumenical Jury, so perhaps he has a list coming...? 

So I suspect there could be a few that are waiting until the last minute to submit.

I'll get my list in in the next couple days. There are still a few films I want to rewatch, largely in the "I love that film, but haven't seen it in 10 years, so I want to remember if I love it enough to fill out my top 25 right now" category. But I've had to shift all my teaching online, which has been very time consuming...

I'm all for making some exceptions for those handful of people who've said they want to participate if they don't do it for some reason by April 1 (others can make that call), and I'm for reaching out and badgering via other means too, but I don't really know folks here personally.

5 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Anders has been a little lest frequent around these parts with academic work kicking in, but he participated in last Top 25 and Ecumenical Jury, so perhaps he has a list coming...? 

So I suspect there could be a few that are waiting until the last minute to submit.

Yes, I was planning on submitting in the next 24 hours, I've got a list of about 20 that I'm fairly sure of and about 40 that I could put on my final 5. I think my list is definitely going to be a bit different from some, or even what I expected mine to look like.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

1 hour ago, Rob Z said:

I'm all for making some exceptions for those handful of people who've said they want to participate if they don't do it for some reason by April 1 (others can make that call), and I'm for reaching out and badgering via other means too, but I don't really know folks here personally.

I sent e-mails to Brian and Ed, but in general I don't want my job as admin to be to nag people. 

I am not sure what kind of exception you mean, Rob. I would probably be okay with allowing some members to vote even if they didn't nominate. If you mean pushing back the nominations deadline, that might warrant a broader discussion. (I might be persuaded if there are specific individuals who request a finite amount of additional time but I am dubious about simply extending the deadline to see if more people show up. 

Anyone else want to offer up an opinion?

5 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

I would probably be okay with allowing some members to vote even if they didn't nominate.

6 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

I might be persuaded if there are specific individuals who request a finite amount of additional time

Yeah, this is what I was thinking, like if someone was really sick. I didn't mean just pushing back the deadline.

Ok, I voted. Painful to leave a few off that I really would have loved to see nominated, but wasn't really confident I could make a case to folks for. Mostly a list of films I felt essential for this list and personal picks that I couldn't do without.

Some stats:

Country of Origin:

USA/UK - 4

Hong Kong - 1

Japan - 3

USA - 9

Canada - 1

France - 3

USSR - 1

Thailand - 1

UK - 1

Sweden - 1

Decade of Release:

30s - 1

40s - 2

50s - 4

60s - 3

70s - 3

80s - 4

90s - 1

00s - 4

10s - 3

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Country of origin is good idea.

Mine was:

USA - 10

France - 3

Poland - 2

Japan - 2

Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, Taiwan, Iran, USSR, Canada - 1

8 minutes ago, Darren H said:

Another way the world has changed a lot since our last list is that I'm more conscious this time of how white and male the list is, which isn't surprising given the voters.

It's true. It comes back to the question of demographic representation on this board, and the dominant histories of cinema that we to a great degree perpetuate. 

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Darren, how many films directed by woman have been nominated so far?