Sign in to follow this  
Greg P

The CCM You Stash in Your Closet

What remains a mystery is Ideola on CD.  With Mark Heard's death, one would think this project would have been released to disc at some point.  I've found it in various forms (vinyl at Paste seemed most odd), but don't know if the project was even distributed in this format.

It was. Got it. I think there was even a brief reissue. Shows up on eBay once in a while.

I even have Ideola 2 -- unreleased rough mixes of more songs in the same style. How or where I obtained it must remain a mystery. A Macintosh Quadra 810 (I think) was partially responsible for those records, but I don't know what software he had.

Mando. It's not illegal to burn it for me since it's no longer available to the public.

-s.

PS - Friend in AZ is burning "The Grape Prophet" for me. I am a fortunate man. grin.gif

PS I only mean the first one. The second sounds like it is Just. For. You.

-s.

I've got Ideola on vinyl... No record player though...

sad.gif

Hey, I've got that on cassette. All of the sudden CDs seem so new.

Mando.  It's not illegal to burn it for me since it's no longer available to the public.

Fair enough. I will ask that you write a nice fat check to Mr. Heard's widow, Janet, though. Seriously. This goes for anyone else who wants a copy: Send me a check payable to Janet Heard for whatever you think it's worth, and I'll burn you an Ideola CD. I have Janet's address but I'm not making it public.

Mando.

mrmando, that is an absolutely great idea.

I don't think anyone has yet mentioned Julie Miller's debut Meet Julie Miller with such gems as "Song To The Devil" and "My Psychiatrist." During that time she was referred to as the Cyndi Lauper of CCM, although she has (as most of you already know) gone on to produce some decent albums.

IdeOla is by far one of the greatest pop albums!

"freedom" by Whiteheart and "the big picture" were both MAJOR shockers... so good...

did anyone say IDLE CURE "breakaway"? or Kim Boyce?

FARRELL AND FARRELL, for Smitty's sake!!

"People in a Box" was a radio SMASH!!

BLACK AND WHITE WORLD!!

any of these ringing any bells for y'all?

todd

OH, and

* X-Sinner

Was in the box. How about Bloodgood? Jon Gibson? Crystal Lewis? D-Boy? (for Frontline fans) and on and on...

* Mad at the World?

* One Bad Pig?

* Barren Cross?

* Crumbacher?

Let's not forget Mark Heard as IdeOla, or the Swirling Eddies (Their "Ode to Billy" is a great song.)

Let's see ... Brian Duncan? Michelle Pillar? SHEILA WALSH. I was really into SW as a techno-pop diva (remember her "I'm not going to fall away" duet with Steve Taylor?) until she went all 700Club. Ick.

* Leslie Philips

* MYLON LEFEVRE

OK, this is just getting embarassing. I'd better stop before I hurt myself. I've got to go and watch a Tarkovsky film or something.

in my CCM bin, i just found a cassette of the christian comedy-stylings of "ISAAC AIR FREIGHT".. did anyone have any of their stuff? I really like it..

and my parents like ANDRUS and BLACKWOOD "Jesus You're So Wonderful"...

hmm???

This is kind of a tangent,but did anyone else get into The Violent Femmes through articles in the Christian press circa 1985,naming Gordon Gano (quite legitimately)as a Christian?

They're a great band,but it feels kind of perverse to have come to them through a "CCM window"!

Cough cough, ahem...I don't listen to that debbil's music, but I hear there's this cool CCM band out there with a front man Bono. They talk about Jesus and everything. Anybody listen to them? I might try to find them on my radio dial sometime, between listening to JVernonMcGee and Night Sounds.

Honestly, I've had a back door open in my heart for U2 via the CCM window. Same for Violent Femmes. Call me twisted and set me up with a new round.

Bruce

Edited by Bruce C Meyer

Wow. No judgement here, but was that before or after he sang about getting "just one..."?

Wow.  No judgement here, but was that before or after he sang about getting "just one..."?

I think its those seemingly opposed sentiments in Gano's confessional songs that make the early VF stuff so danged awesome. He's angry, hurt, horny as hell and deeply concerned about Jesus and the afterlife. What's the probelm with that?

mando, didn't we cover "is it any wonder?" once?

Not that I recall. We had a wicked Tonio K. cover (I still do a solo version of that sometimes), and you were working on Steve Taylor's "Innocence Lost," although we never performed it.

Since we worked together I have learned a good deal more about following chord progressions...

in my CCM bin, i just found a cassette of the christian comedy-stylings of "ISAAC AIR FREIGHT".. did anyone have any of their stuff?  I really like it..

Which cassette did you find?

The first Freight record was pretty good; they were kind of hit-or-miss after that; I got off the train following the atrocious "Freight's Designer Album."

Wow.  No judgement here, but was that before or after he sang about getting "just one..."?

I think its those seemingly opposed sentiments in Gano's confessional songs that make the early VF stuff so danged awesome. He's angry, hurt, horny as hell and deeply concerned about Jesus and the afterlife. What's the probelm with that?

no probelm (or problem, for that matter) at all. I just wish I'da known that back when was a teenager. I would have played that album while my parents were still in the house. wink.gif

Today I carted Randy Stonehill's Return To Paradise out of the closet. What a great album (thanks in large part to Mr. Heard) It actually got me hankering for some more vintage Stonehill. I used to have Stories on cassette, but God knows what happened to that thing. What I really want is Until We Have Wings, which if memory serves was fairly lame (like 90% of his studio output), but contained the magnificent Breath of God and the touching ditty Old Clothes. I cannot track down that CD anywhere... Anyone know where to find mp3's of those classic tracks?

Since this is a CCM love thread, there is a new article in this same vein posted yesterday at CT mag, here is a clip and link:

"Christian artists make music for some of the harshest critics in the world. As much as I hate to admit it, evangelicals are a touchy and judgmental bunch, given to vocally criticizing the smallest perceived infraction of their values, even when it comes to music....VeggieTales once wrote an episode where the antagonist sings a song about how chocolate bunnies are awesome to eat. And there was an outcry about this song...the outcry was hot enough to make the creators of the show re-write the song with more palatable lyrics!"

2014-09-21 CT magazine  Why I Stopped Hating Christian Music

my list

Jars of Clay - debut & The Eleventh Hour & Long Fall Back To Earth

tobyMac - Momentum & Welcome to Diverse City & Portable Sounds

Kevin Max - Stereotype Be & The Imposter

Andrew Peterson - Walk & Clear To Venus

Rich Mullins - A Liturgy, a Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band

Audio Adrenaline - Some Kind Of Zombie & Worldwide

All Star United - All Star United & The Good Album

The Waiting - The Waiting & Unfazed

Skillet - Hey You, I Love Your Soul & Invincible & Alien Youth

Sara Groves - Add To The Beauty & The Other Side Of Something

News Boys - Go and most others with Peter Furler on vocals.

PFR - Them

Third Day - Third Day & Conspiracy No. 5

Jennifer Knapp - Kansas & Lay It Down & The Way I Am

Relient K - Two Lefts Don't Make a Right...but Three Do

Tyler Burkum - 3 songs on project My Other Band

Margaret Becker - Falling Forward

Derek Webb - The Ringing Bell

Mat Kearney - Bullet & Nothing Left to Lose & City of Black & White

Caedmon's Call - Caedmon's Call

Plumb - candycoatedwaterdrops

Eisley - Room Noises

Michelle Tumes - Listen

Matt Maher - Welcome To Life

Sara Hart - Into These Rooms

The Elms - The Big Surprise & Truth, Soul, Rock & Roll & The Chess Hotel

Switchfoot - Learning to Breathe & The Beautiful Letdown & Nothing Is Sound

the 77s - Sticks and Stones

GlassByrd - Open Wide This Window

Ginny Owens - Without Condition

David Crowder*Band - A Collision

Sixpence None the RicherSixpence None the Richer & Divine Discontent

Anberlin - Lost Songs

Rock n Roll Worship Circus - A Beautiful Glow
Needtobreathe - Daylight & The Heat
John Reuben - The Boy Vs the Cynic
Chris Rice - Short Term Memories (Greatest Hits)
Telecast - The Beauty of Simplicity & Eternity Is Now
Iona - Open Sky
Shawn McDonald - Simply Nothing & Ripen & Roots
The Benjamin Gate - [untitled]
Mute Math - debut album or Reset EP
Todd Agnew - Reflection Of Something
Earthsuit - Kaleidoscope Superior
Silage - Vegas Car Chaser & Watusi
Brooke Fraser - Albertine & Flags

Bebo Normon - no stand out discs

Nicole Nordeman - no stand out discs

Cindy Morgan - no stand out discs

Kutless - no stand out discs

Downhere - no stand out discs

Poor Old Lu - their sound is cool on any disc, but lyrics in meaning and acoustically are often too opaque or incomprehensible.

Phil Keaggy all his instrumental albums, do not care for his voice.

Aaron Sprinkle - everything

Fair - everything

Starflyer59 - everything

The opening post mentions Prayer Chain (album Mercury) is cool but also incomprehensible so I like it for sound and put it with Poor Old Lu, it's like listening to an album in German or French. Almost funny that way and so not at the top of my fave band list.

Edited by Mike_tn

Glad you mentioned Rich Mullins and Andrew Peterson, Mike. Notwithstanding occasional humorous cheese like "Alrightokuhuhamen", Rich Mullins was one of the finest songwriters of his time, particularly for those attuned to more eternal themes. Liturgy, Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band is absolutely stunning in its scope and comprehension of the correlation between the United States as a country full of immigrants "lonely for their home", and Christians who are immigrants, longing for heaven. It was immensely influential for me, and would still find its way on to my personal list of the finest records of the 90s. 

Andrew Peterson is the spiritual and creative successor to Rich for me. His songwriting is pristine, honest, and immensely approachable, while maintaining an unusual insight into human experience. Those early albums you mentioned are great, but I like Love And Thunder, The Far Country, and his latest, Light for the Lost boy even more.

I am sorry to do this, but this seems like a pretty good time to mention I am selling some copies of my book Sects Love and Rock & Roll, which is a book about Christian rock and touches in detail on about 70% of the bands Mike mentioned above, at a discount right now. I need to unload a few copies and I'm selling them for $15 each, which includes shipping.

Sorry for the shameful self promotion. You can sign up here - I need to mail them on Friday. tinyurl.com/SLRRorder 

And agreed - Rich Mullins is amazing. There are some concert videos of his on Youtube where the between-songs sermonizing is just phenomenal. Like:

Which is the thing about the Bible... that's why it always cracks me up when people say, "Well, in 'du du du du du du du duh, it says..." You kinda go, "Wow! It says a lot of things in there!" Proof-texting is a very, very dangerous thing. I think if we were given the Scriptures, it was not so that we could prove that we were right about everything. If we were given the Scriptures, it was to humble us into realizing that God is right, and the rest of us are just guessing. Which is what makes them so much fun to read, especially if you're not a fundamentalist.

Whatever else may be said, it should be mentioned that Sects, Love and Rock & Roll is an enviously great title.  

That's good to hear! We spent forever trying to come up with a good name and that was the least worst.

Glad you mentioned Rich Mullins and Andrew Peterson...Liturgy, Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band is absolutely stunning in its scope and comprehension of the correlation between the United States as a country full of immigrants "lonely for their home", and Christians who are immigrants, longing for heaven.

I like Love And Thunder, The Far Country, and his latest, Light for the Lost boy even more.

Agree, those two artists were/are perhaps teachers first. It is rare to find higher minds like theirs combined with first rate musical talent. Quite a calling. I like your pointing out the immigrant analogy. Maybe that's why the faith of Americans has not flagged to the extent it has in Europe. One of my favorite scriptures "They only saw them and welcomed them (promises) from a distance. And they admitted that they (themselves) were aliens and strangers on earth." Heb 11:13

The early Peterson is his most musically catchy for me. It may be that the ideas in his later music are more insightful. You probably have a better grasp on that aspect of their work. I'm familiar with everything of his through The Far Country so now you have me curious for Light for the Lost Boy. Thanks for the tip Joel.

Do you have in mind their female equal from the ranks? Sara Groves may come closest.

Edited by Mike_tn

Glad you mentioned Rich Mullins and Andrew Peterson...Liturgy, Legacy, and a Ragamuffin Band is absolutely stunning in its scope and comprehension of the correlation between the United States as a country full of immigrants "lonely for their home", and Christians who are immigrants, longing for heaven.

I like Love And Thunder, The Far Country, and his latest, Light for the Lost boy even more.

Agree, those two artists were/are perhaps teachers first. It is rare to find higher minds like theirs combined with first rate musical talent. Quite a calling. I like your pointing out the immigrant analogy. Maybe that's why the faith of Americans has not flagged to the extent it has in Europe. One of my favorite scriptures "They only saw them and welcomed them (promises) from a distance. And they admitted that they (themselves) were aliens and strangers on earth." Heb 11:13

The early Peterson is his most musically catchy for me. It may be that the ideas in his later music are more insightful. You probably have a better grasp on that aspect of their work. I'm familiar with everything of his through The Far Country so now you have me curious for Light for the Lost Boy. Thanks for the tip Joel.

Light for the Lost Boy is very different in some ways than his earlier stuff. It's darker, more introspective. It starts off with a song about how we have these birth pangs for being reborn into a better world than this one, and uses a traumatic death scene from The Yearling to express that longing. It's really a gripping ride through disappointment, spiritual fatigue, dark nights of the soul, and ultimately, hope for a better world. Highly recommended.

Do you have in mind their female equal from the ranks? Sara Groves may come closest.

I think Sara Groves is fantastic, and certainly operating on the same plain of songwriting sensibilities. To be honest, I can't say that I know a lot of female artists within CCM period, but that's probably mostly due to to the fact that I sort of got off the CCM train about 10 years ago, and the only current artists I know are the ones that I admired then and continued to follow. I will say that Jill Phillips is a wonderful songwriter. She runs in the same circles as Andrew Peterson (most visibly through the Rabbit Room). She's a really refreshing and honest lyricist, and has a similar sound to Peterson. 

Edited by Joel C