Joel Mayward

2019 Arts and Faith Ecumenical Jury: Nominations and Discussion

On 12/18/2019 at 9:17 AM, Noel T Manning II said:

I would like to offer a nomination for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Faith, hope, redemption, forgiveness, sacrifice, free choice, exploring purpose even when one's own live hangs in the balance are all on display in this final installment of the Skywalker saga. 

Seconded - Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker 

On 12/11/2019 at 9:58 AM, Noel T Manning II said:

Still looking for some more love for "Yesterday." ...

Seconded - "Yesterday" - A film which asks interesting questions such as "is an action morally wrong if you are the only person who understands that said action is so?" It also explores the slippery slope of fame and fortune, and its potential negative impacts on human relationships.

I nominate Little Women, a beautiful celebration of sisterhood, family, storytelling, feminism, vocation, and serving others.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

3 hours ago, Evan C said:

I nominate Little Women, a beautiful celebration of sisterhood, family, storytelling, feminism, vocation, and serving others.

I'll second that. I was higher on the film in general than for this list, but the integration and handling of religion in 19th century NE was significant, and not as easy to do as I think it appeared. Dern has been getting a lot of props for her portrayal of Marmee, and her piety comes across as quite sincere...no easy task that. 

On 12/23/2019 at 5:34 PM, kenmorefield said:

Has anyone actually seen Non-fiction? Was wondering if it's lack of buzz meant it was not very good or just that the pro-Assayas faciton of A&F has moved on to greener pastures....

I liked it quite a bit, but I don't feel that strongly for it for this list.

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

On 11/27/2019 at 7:34 AM, Evan C said:

The case for my nominees:

The Dead Don't Die - hilarious comedy about caring for the environment and one another that shows the value of friendships, art (specifically movies) in a polluted world while calling us to be better stewards of it.

I'll happily second The Dead Don't Die. In addition to the points Evan makes about it, it functions as a reflection on our mortality (and our refusal to recongnize it and our inability to escape it), and I also think it has some interesting indications of a longing for escape from the world or longing for an other-worldly savior of some kind -- Swinton, for example, is a potential figure of hope, impervious in ways the others aren't to horror and death and destruction, but instead of sticking around to save anyone, she just leaves. We also have a sort of prophetic figure in Tom Waits, but he, too, remains aloof from the action, merely commenting on it, but not engaging in it. Last, the idea that humans are part of some script, a story we cannot really control but see indications of everywhere, is also an interesting philosophical/spiritual element (reminiscent of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead) . 

Somehow one of the best films from this year hasn't been nominated yet, so, I nominate For Sama. A harrowing documentary about a young couple serving in a hospital in war-torn Aleppo as they raise their infant son. It's a difficult film to watch at times, as one never gets used to seeing actual dead bodies or real-life explosions, but the life and love also shown here is often powerful enough to overcome the brokenness.

On 12/27/2019 at 10:15 AM, Evan C said:

I liked it quite a bit, but I don't feel that strongly for it for this list.

Same here, Evan. It feels a bit rote for Assayas, which makes it of interest, but it does not feel right for the list this year.

--

Here are a few I do not see on the page 1 list. My apologies if they have already been nominated:

The Souvenir

American Factory

Long Day's Journey Into Night

An Elephant Sitting Still

Under the Silver Lake

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

A late nomination here, but I just finished Fast Color and I think it would be a fine addition to the list. It had a very brief theatrical run in the US back in April, but it's easily available on Hulu now. Three generations of women in the same family grapple with broken relationships and broken trust in the middle of a years-long drought. It's both a small melodrama and a sideways superhero movie.

I'll second American Factory as well.

Here are the final nominees (those who have received seconds). Please do let me know ASAP if I have missed including a nominee:

63 Up

A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

A Hidden Life

Ad Astra

Alita: Battle Angel

Amazing Grace

American Factory

Apollo 11

Atlantics

Booksmart

Burning Cane

By the Grace of God

Dark Waters

Diane

Frozen 2

High Life

Honeyland

JoJo Rabbit

Knives Out

Light from Light

Little Women

Marriage Story

Missing Link

Official Secrets

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood

One Child Nation

Parasite

Peterloo

Rocketman

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Strange Negotiations

The Dead Don’t Die

The Farewell

The Irishman

The Last Black Man in San Francisco

The Lighthouse

The Peanut Butter Falcon

The Report

They Shall Not Grow Old

Toy Story 4

Transit

Us

Waves

Where'd You Go, Bernadette 

Yesterday

Is "They Shall Not Grow Old" available anywhere? (My recollection is that this was a Fathom Events screening, which is fine, just not sure if there is any way for those who haven't screened it to do so...

43 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Is "They Shall Not Grow Old" available anywhere? (My recollection is that this was a Fathom Events screening, which is fine, just not sure if there is any way for those who haven't screened it to do so...

HBO Now and HBO Go are streaming it. Otherwise, it's out on DVD and Blu-ray, so local libraries should have it. It's also available for $9 on Google play and Amazon.

Is the Wednesday deadline for voting time sensitive enough that we couldn't push it back to Friday (1/10)?

I'm asking because that's the only way I'll be able to see 1917 before voting. Depending on local cinemas, I might be able to see it Thursday night 1/9, but I'll definitely see it by Friday the 10th.

4 hours ago, Evan C said:

Is the Wednesday deadline for voting time sensitive enough that we couldn't push it back to Friday (1/10)?

I'm hesitantly open to this, especially if the Friday release date would make a difference. However, I don't want to set a major precedent for having individual jurors request extensions each year either. For this year, we can adjust it to Friday, January 10, 11:59pm PST.

23 minutes ago, Joel Mayward said:

I'm hesitantly open to this, especially if the Friday release date would make a difference. However, I don't want to set a major precedent for having individual jurors request extensions each year either. For this year, we can adjust it to Friday, January 10, 11:59pm PST.

It's okay if we keep it on Wednesday; it probably will only make a difference if 1917 finishes right around #10 on the first ballot. And if 1917 is a finalist, I'll still be able to see it before submitting the ranked ballot. I also figured there was a chance some other jurors might be in the same boat.

Edited by Evan C

22 minutes ago, Joel Mayward said:

Joel, I'm not wanting to step on your perogative as foreman, so please take this as sharing past experience, nothing more. 

We do have *some* precedent for altering deadline because of the one year that Silence had not opened. In that case, not enough jurors had seen it for it to qualify. 

One possible compromise might be to hold fast on the deadline and see if that film (1917) has a quorum. If it does, than Evan' might still be able to watch it in time to rank it (should he care to). 

EDIT: Oops, see Evan beat me to it. Of course, if the voting reveals that not enough have seen it or others who did so did not rate it highly, the results could be ambiguous.
DOUBLE EDIT: Ooops, I  see you just sent out an e-mail adjustment. That works too. Carry on.

Sorry, I made a decision and sent an email before seeing your comments, Ken and Evan. The deadline extension made sense to me, allowing for any January 9/10 releases to be seen while not necessarily affecting the voting results beyond allowing for more time to see films for jurors.

Ken, we should also talk publication date specifics, as our publication has typically coincided with the Oscars, which are quite early this year (February 9). We can discuss it via email.

Quick question about "They Shall Not Grow Old" - was it actually on the ranked ballot?  

23 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

If you mean the emailed voting ballot, yes!

Thanks Joel - Yes, that was what I wanted to know. - NTMII

I re-watched Toy Story 4 this weekend, and I was struck by the opening scene where Andy gives away Bo-peep. To the extent the franchise has always toyed around (no pun intended) with the parallels between toy/child and child/parent or person/God, I appreciated this film's emphasis on whether or not the child deserves the devotion that Andy gives and how conceptions of the god-like that are capricious or show favoritism undermine our devotion even if we are (or perceive ourselves to be) the favored. 

kenmorefield wrote:
: Is "They Shall Not Grow Old" available anywhere? (My recollection is that this was a Fathom Events screening . . .

It was a Fathom Events screening in December 2018 (which is how I saw it), and it was so popular that it got a regular theatrical release in early 2019.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.