Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020: Best Picture

Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Screen Actors Guild ensemble-award nominees, which is basically the guild's equivalent of a best-picture award:

• BOMBSHELL
  • THE IRISHMAN
  • JOJO RABBIT
  • ONCE UPON A TIME... IN HOLLYWOOD
  • PARASITE

The winner will be announced January 19.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Producers Guild nominees:

• Ford v Ferrari
  • The Irishman
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Joker
  • Knives Out
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Once upon a Time... in Hollywood
  • Parasite

So, no nomination for Bombshell, but otherwise all of the SAG ensemble nominees are here.

The winner will be announced January 18.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

And note: all nine of the Oscar nominees are on the PGA's ten-movie list; the one PGA nominee that got skipped by the Oscars is Knives Out. Also, as with the PGA awards, so with the Oscars: every one of the SAG nominees got nominated except for Bombshell.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:35 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild nominees:

• Ford v Ferrari
  • The Irishman
  • Jojo Rabbit
  • Joker
  • Knives Out
  • Little Women
  • Marriage Story
  • Once upon a Time... in Hollywood
  • Parasite

. . . The winner will be announced January 18.

And the winner is... 1917.

The PGA Best Picture winner has gone on to win the Oscar for Best Picture in 20 of the previous 30 cases (21 if you count the year that Gravity and 12 Years a Slave shared the PGA award in a tie).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

If you had told me 1917 was going to be the likely Best Picture winner a month ago, I wouldn't have believed it. Yet here we are. It's a fine movie, but I'm just genuinely surprised that in a year with such a wide variety of excellent films, it seems like it'll get the top prize.

Hand to heart, I'm not being snarky with this question. Does this make Mendes a great director, Cumberbatch a great actor, or both or neither?

8 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Hand to heart, I'm not being snarky with this question. Does this make Mendes a great director, Cumberbatch a great actor, or both or neither?

I'm 99.9% sure Johnson's being facetious, not least of all, because 1917 blacks out for several seconds half way through when he runs up the tower and falls backward after shooting the sniper, so there definitely was a break in shooting there.

Edited by Evan C

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

On 12/11/2019 at 3:23 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Screen Actors Guild ensemble-award nominees, which is basically the guild's equivalent of a best-picture award:

• BOMBSHELL
  • THE IRISHMAN
  • JOJO RABBIT
  • ONCE UPON A TIME... IN HOLLYWOOD
  • PARASITE

The winner will be announced January 19.

And the winner is... Parasite.

Parasite is apparently the first non-English film to win this award.

From 1996 to 2016, it used to be that a film needed to at least be *nominated* for the SAG ensemble award in order to win the Oscar for Best Picture, but the last two Best Picture winners -- 2017's The Shape of Water and 2018's Green Book -- weren't even nominated for this award, so it's anyone's guess how relevant this award is now. The last film to *win* both awards was 2015's Spotlight. (In 2016, the SAG award went to Hidden Figures and the Oscar went to Moonlight.)

3 minutes ago, Evan C said:

I'm 99.9% sure Johnson's being facetious, not least of all, because 1917 blacks out for several seconds half way through when he runs up the tower and falls backward after shooting the sniper, so there definitely was a break in shooting there.

My point is, I don't know how to take the comment, facetious or otherwise. Is he poking fun at Mendes? Praising him? Making a joke about how people are obsessing about the single-shot conceit? Because, in answer to Joel's question above, I think this has something to do with 1917's status in the awards race.

4 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Making a joke about how people are obsessing about the single-shot conceit? Because, in answer to Joel's question above, I think this has something to do with 1917's status in the awards race.

That's an interesting point, and it makes me wonder if Birdman would have been so celebrated had it been shot in a more conventional way. But I'm pretty certain Johnson is just joking around here.