Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020: Best Visual Effects

Who WILL win?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The 20 movies in contention (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• “Ad Astra”
  • “The Aeronauts”
  • “Aladdin”
  • “Alita: Battle Angel”
  • “Avengers: Endgame”
  • “Captain Marvel”
  • “Cats”
  • “Dumbo”
  • “Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw”
  • “Ford v Ferrari”
  • “Gemini Man”
  • “The Irishman”
  • “Jumanji: The Next Level”
  • “The Lion King”
  • “Men in Black: International”
  • “Midway”
  • “1917”
  • “Spider-Man: Far from Home”
  • “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”
  • “Terminator: Dark Fate”

This list will be reduced to 10 films later this month. The five nominees will be announced with all the Oscar nominees on January 13.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

• Alita: Battle Angel -- Character Animation
  • Avengers: Endgame -- Character Animation
  • Game of Thrones (S08E03) -- Character Animation
  • Pokemon Detective Pikachu -- Character Animation
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home -- Character Animation

The winner will be announced January 25.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The ten-movie short list:

• Alita: Battle Angel
  • Avengers: Endgame
  • Captain Marvel
  • Cats
  • Gemini Man
  • The Irishman
  • The Lion King
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
  • Terminator: Dark Fate

So... Alita and Avengers are the only Annie nominees to make the Oscar short list (and even then, they might not get actual nominations).

The Visual Effects Society nominees:

Outstanding Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature

• Gemini Man
  • The Lion King

Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature

• The Aeronauts
  • Ford v Ferrari
  • The Irishman
  • Joker

Outstanding Animated Character in a Photoreal Feature

• Alita: Battle Angel (Alita)
  • Avengers: Endgame (Smart Hulk)
  • Gemini Man (Junior)
  • The Lion King (Scar)

Outstanding Created Environment in a Photoreal Feature

• Aladdin (Agrabah)
  • Alita: Battle Angel (Iron City)
  • Motherless Brooklyn (Penn Station)
  • The Lion King (The Pridelands)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (Pasaana Desert)

Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a CG Project

• The Lion King
  • The Mandalorian
  • Toy Story 4

Outstanding Effects Simulations in a Photoreal Feature

• Dumbo (Bubble Elephants)
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home (Molten Man)
  • The Lion King 

Outstanding Compositing in a Feature

• Captain Marvel (Young Nick Fury)
  • The Irishman

Outstanding Special (Practical) Effects in a Photoreal or Animated Project

• Aladdin (Magic Carpet)
  • Game of Thrones (The Bells)
  • Terminator: Dark Fate
  • The Dark Crystal: The Age of Resistance (She Knows All the Secrets)

So... 5 nominations apiece for Alita: Battle Angel and The Lion King... 4 nominations for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker... 3 nominations for Avengers: Endgame... 2 nominations apiece for AladdinGemini Man and The Irishman... and 1 nomination apiece for 1917The AeronautsCaptain MarvelDumboFord v FerrariJokerMotherless BrooklynSpider-Man: Far from Home and Terminator: Dark Fate... plus a few TV shows and animated films that are rubbing shoulders with the live-action features in a few of these categories.

Basically every film that got multiple VES nominations is on the Oscar shortlist *except* for Aladdin, and every film on the Oscar shortlist got at least one VES nomination *except* for Cats (a film that was originally released with unfinished visual effects -- the studio sent replacement copies of the film to all the theatres just a few days after it opened -- and that was a few days *after* the Oscars announced their shortlist, so it would appear that Cats made the Oscar shortlist on the basis of *unfinished* visual effects...).

The winners will be announced January 29.

Vote!

On 12/11/2019 at 4:06 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

• Alita: Battle Angel -- Character Animation
  • Avengers: Endgame -- Character Animation
  • Game of Thrones (S08E03) -- Character Animation
  • Pokemon Detective Pikachu -- Character Animation
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home -- Character Animation

The winner will be announced January 25.

And the winner is... Avengers: Endgame.

On 1/7/2020 at 11:03 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Visual Effects Society nominees: . . .

So... 5 nominations apiece for Alita: Battle Angel and The Lion King... 4 nominations for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker... 3 nominations for Avengers: Endgame... 2 nominations apiece for AladdinGemini Man and The Irishman... and 1 nomination apiece for 1917The AeronautsCaptain MarvelDumboFord v FerrariJokerMotherless BrooklynSpider-Man: Far from Home and Terminator: Dark Fate... plus a few TV shows and animated films that are rubbing shoulders with the live-action features in a few of these categories. . . .

The winners will be announced January 29.

And the winners are... 

• The Lion King -- Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature, Created Environment in a Photoreal Feature, Virtual Cinematography
  • The Irishman -- Supporting Visual Effects in a Photoreal Feature, Compositing in a Feature
  • Alita: Battle Angel -- Animated Character in a Photoreal Feature
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker -- Effects Simulations in a Photoreal Feature

And the award for "Outstanding Special (Practical) Effects in a Photoreal or Animated Project" went to The Dark Crystal: The Age of Resistance, which was not a feature film (though two of the nominees in that category *were* feature films).

Interestingly, Avengers: Endgame -- which won the Annie award for character animation -- did not win any Visual Effects Society awards, despite being one of the most-nominated films. It lost the VES award for character animation to Alita: Battle Angel, which isn't even nominated for the Oscar.