Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020: Best Animated Feature

Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The 32 films in contention (with the ones I've seen in bold):

• “Abominable”
  • “The Addams Family”
  • “The Angry Birds Movie 2”
  • “Another Day of Life”
  • “Away”
  • “Buñuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles”
  • “Children of the Sea”
  • “Dilili in Paris”
  • “Frozen II”
  • “Funan”
  • “Genndy Tartakovsky’s ‘Primal’ – Tales of Savagery”
  • “How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World”
  • “I Lost My Body”
  • “Klaus”
  • “The Last Fiction”
  • “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part”
  • “Marona’s Fantastic Tale”
  • “Missing Link”
  • “Ne Zha”
  • “Okko’s Inn”
  • “Pachamama”
  • “Promare”
  • “Rezo”
  • “The Secret Life of Pets 2”
  • “Spies in Disguise”
  • “The Swallows of Kabul”
  • “This Magnificent Cake!”
  • “The Tower”
  • “Toy Story 4”
  • “Upin & Ipin: The Lone Gibbon Kris”
  • “Weathering with You”
  • “White Snake”

The nominees will be announced January 13.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

8 nominations

• Frozen 2 -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Character Design, Character Animation, Voice Acting (Josh Gad), Visual Effects, Music

8 nominations in 7 categories

• Missing Link -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Production Design, Storyboarding (x2) Character Animation, Visual Effects, Editing

7 nominations

• Klaus -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Production Design, Storyboarding, Character Design, Character Animation, Editing

6 nominations

• Toy Story 4 -- Best Animated Feature, Writing, Voice Acting (Tony Hale), Visual Effects, Editing, Music

6 nominations in 5 categories

• How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World -- Best Animated Feature, Writing, Production Design, Character Animation (x2), Editing
  • I Lost My Body -- Best INDIE Feature, Directing, Writing, Storyboarding (x2), Music

4 nominations

• Abominable -- Production Design, Character Design, Voice Acting (Tenzing Norgay Trainor), Visual Effects
  • Weathering with You -- Best INDIE Feature, Directing, Writing, Visual Effects

2 nominations

• The Addams Family -- Production Design, Character Design
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2 -- Voice Acting (Jenny Slate), Editing
  • Spies in Disguise -- Character Design, Music

1 nomination

• Away -- Music
  • Bunuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles -- Best INDIE Feature
  • Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus -- Voice Acting (Richard Horvitz)
  • Okko's Inn -- Best INDIE Feature

The winners will be announced January 25.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Art Directors Guild nominees in this category:

• “Abominable” – Max Boas
  • “Frozen II” – Michael Giaimo
  • “How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” – Pierre-Olivier Vincent
  • “The Lion King” – James Chinlund
  • “Toy Story 4” – Bob Pauley

So, the guild agrees with the Annie Award nominations for Production Design re: the two DreamWorks films (Abominable and How to Train Your Dragon), but substitutes Disney films Frozen IIThe Lion King and Toy Story 4 for KlausMissing Link and The Addams Family.

The winner will be announced February 1.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

The ACE Eddies nominees:

• Frozen 2
  • I Lost My Body
  • Toy Story 4

The winners will be announced January 17.

The Cinema Audio Society nominees:

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
  • The Lion King
  • Toy Story 4

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Awards nominees in this category:

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • The Lion King
  • Missing Link
  • Spies in Disguise
  • Toy Story 4
  • White Snake

The winner will be announced January 19.

The Producers Guild nominees in this category:

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • Missing Link
  • Toy Story 4

The winner will be announced January 18.

The Visual Effects Society nominees in this category:

Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature

• Frozen II
  • Klaus
  • The Lego Movie 2
  • Missing Link
  • Toy Story 4

Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature

• Frozen II (The Water Nokk)
  • Klaus (Jesper)
  • Missing Link (Susan)
  • Toy Story 4 (Bo Peep)

Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature

• Frozen II (Giants' Gorge)
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (The Hidden World)
  • Missing Link (Passage to India Jungle)
  • Toy Story 4 (Antiques Mall)

Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Animated Feature

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (Water and Waterfalls)
  • Toy Story 4

Toy Story 4 is also nominated alongside live-action films for virtual cinematography, and Missing Link is also nominated alongside TV shows for its models. So... 5 nominations for Toy Story 4... 4 nominations apiece for Frozen II and Missing Link... 2 nominations apiece for How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World and Klaus... and 1 nomination apiece for Abominable and The Lego Movie 2.

Vote!

Also, note: the Oscars ignored Frozen II and Abominable, two major-studio films that were recognized by most of the guilds. (Indeed, Frozen II is nominated for more Annie Awards this year than any other film -- but it's not nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. The five next-most-nominated Annie contenders *are* nominated for the Oscar, though.)

On 12/12/2019 at 4:09 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The ACE Eddies nominees:

• Frozen 2
  • I Lost My Body
  • Toy Story 4

The winners will be announced January 17.

And the winner is... Toy Story 4.

On 1/7/2020 at 10:36 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild nominees in this category:

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • Missing Link
  • Toy Story 4

The winner will be announced January 18.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:55 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Awards nominees in this category:

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • The Lion King
  • Missing Link
  • Spies in Disguise
  • Toy Story 4
  • White Snake

The winner will be announced January 19.

On 12/11/2019 at 4:05 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Annie Award nominees (with the films I have seen in bold):

8 nominations

• Frozen 2 -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Writing, Character Design, Character Animation, Voice Acting (Josh Gad), Visual Effects, Music

8 nominations in 7 categories

• Missing Link -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Production Design, Storyboarding (x2) Character Animation, Visual Effects, Editing

7 nominations

• Klaus -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Production Design, Storyboarding, Character Design, Character Animation, Editing

6 nominations

• Toy Story 4 -- Best Animated Feature, Writing, Voice Acting (Tony Hale), Visual Effects, Editing, Music

6 nominations in 5 categories

• How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World -- Best Animated Feature, Writing, Production Design, Character Animation (x2), Editing
  • I Lost My Body -- Best INDIE Feature, Directing, Writing, Storyboarding (x2), Music

4 nominations

• Abominable -- Production Design, Character Design, Voice Acting (Tenzing Norgay Trainor), Visual Effects
  • Weathering with You -- Best INDIE Feature, Directing, Writing, Visual Effects

2 nominations

• The Addams Family -- Production Design, Character Design
  • The Secret Life of Pets 2 -- Voice Acting (Jenny Slate), Editing
  • Spies in Disguise -- Character Design, Music

1 nomination

• Away -- Music
  • Bunuel in the Labyrinth of the Turtles -- Best INDIE Feature
  • Invader Zim: Enter the Florpus -- Voice Acting (Richard Horvitz)
  • Okko's Inn -- Best INDIE Feature

And the winners are...

• Klaus -- Best Animated Feature, Directing, Production Design, Storyboarding, Character Design, Character Animation, Editing
  • I Lost My Body -- Best INDIE Feature, Writing, Music
  • Frozen 2 -- Voice Acting (Josh Gad), Visual Effects

So basically Netflix movies won all but two of the feature-film awards, and Klaus won every single award it was nominated for. (And the two nominations that I Lost My Body did *not* win were won by Klaus. Basically Frozen 2 -- which started the evening with the most nominations -- won only in the categories where it wasn't facing any competition from Netflix. And Frozen 2 isn't even nominated for the Oscar! Toy Story 4 is, though, and it has been sweeping all the guild awards so far -- but it didn't win a single Annie award!)

On 12/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Cinema Audio Society nominees:

• Abominable
  • Frozen II
  • The Lion King
  • Toy Story 4

On 1/7/2020 at 11:08 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Visual Effects Society nominees in this category: . . .

So... 5 nominations for Toy Story 4... 4 nominations apiece for Frozen II and Missing Link... 2 nominations apiece for How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World and Klaus... and 1 nomination apiece for Abominable and The Lego Movie 2.

And the winners are...

• Missing Link -- Visual Effects in an Animated Feature, Animated Character in an Animated Feature
  • Toy Story 4 -- Created Environment in an Animated Feature
  • Frozen II -- Effects Simulations in an Animated Feature

So basically the three animated films with the most nominations won at least one award each. Two of those films are also nominated for the Oscar for Best Animated Feature. And the film that won the *most* Visual Effects Society awards has not won any other guild awards.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:58 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Art Directors Guild nominees in this category:

• “Abominable” – Max Boas
  • “Frozen II” – Michael Giaimo
  • “How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World” – Pierre-Olivier Vincent
  • “The Lion King” – James Chinlund
  • “Toy Story 4” – Bob Pauley

. . . The winner will be announced February 1.

So the guilds are all in for Toy Story 4, except for the Visual Effects Society, which leans towards Missing Link, and the Annie awards, which lean towards the Netflix releases Klaus and I Lost My Body. In other words, everyone is going with Toy Story 4 except for people who actually *work in animation*. Since the Oscar winner is voted on by the entire Academy and not just its animation branch, this might not bode well for anyone who was hoping that the Academy would get out of its Disney rut.