We don't have a thread on HBO's Watchmen?! It's good. Far better than it has any right to be. Since it's just wrapped its first (only?) season, perhaps discussion here isn't on the cards. It's a shame, because there's a lot going on here; instead of a carbon-copy of the comic, Lindelof and his crew have created an inquiry into areas the original version tended to avoid--race, especially--and manage to do so in a way that isn't ham-fisted (well, except for the fact that racists are particularly ham-fisted lately, so that realism looks like satire). [I've not seen the finale yet, so perhaps this praise is premature].

Anyway, I wanted to share this interview because at a certain point it keys into a number of intersecting interests present on this board. It's at Queerty, which is a pretty worthless rag of a website--except that they've managed to score Lindelof for an interview and, well

I’m not a Catholic, but my wife was a practicing Catholic when we met. We went to church and they were talking about “the mystery.” They literally used the word “mystery.” I asked her afterward “Honey, what’s The Mystery?” And she said it was the Holy Trinity and connective threads therein. And I was like,

but there is no mystery. Jesus died for your sins, you know why, he came back to life… And she was like we know the answer to the mystery, but we don’t know The Mystery.

Yeah.

And that conversation is really unpacking what you’re saying. There is fundamental anxiety programmed into our DNA as humans. That anxiety is what the f*ck are we supposed to do? What do we do with this life? Why are we here? What’s the purpose behind it all? I am deeply interested in exploring that anxiety. In order to explore that, I have to put it in a Trojan Horse of story. That is the brass ring I’m reaching for constantly, whether it’s obvious or subtextual.

Sure.

So the answer to your question is I can’t answer the mystery of why I’m so driven by mystery other than the fact that I find it really relatable. I’m fascinated by people that are so confident that they’ve figured it all out that they’ve solved The Mystery. But then when you say to them, “How can you solve The Mystery for me?” It’s something they can’t verbalize. It’s almost a feeling. That gets to the heart of the other thing that drives me creatively, which is how do you make something emotional versus didactic? I was never good with philosophy, but I know when I’m feeling something. So how can I use the medium of the story to connect with them based on what I’m feeling?

Thread on the 2009 movie and on the comic.

I am ambivalent after watching the first episode. I understood going in that this was a riff on the graphic novel and not a depiction of it, but the lynching iconography makes me uncomfortable as does what they appear to be doing with Rorschach. Not that that's not the point, just that I don't know if I trust the shows creators to be responsibly provocative (as opposed to just playing around with provocative stuff.) But I'll give it another few episodes.