Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Oscars 2020: Best Screenplay (Adapted)

Who WILL win?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The USC Scripter nominees (for film adaptations):

• Matthew Carnahan and Mario Correa for “Dark Waters” based on the New York Times Magazine article “The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare” by Nathaniel Rich
  • Steven Zaillian for “The Irishman” based on the nonfiction work “I Heard You Paint Houses” by Charles Brandt  
  • Taika Waititi for “JoJo Rabbit” based on the novel “Caging Skies” by Christine Leunens
  • Author Louisa May Alcott and screenwriter Greta Gerwig for “Little Women”
  • Anthony McCarten for “The Two Popes” based on his play “The Pope”

The winner will be announced January 25.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Writers Guild nominees:

• A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Written by Micah Fitzerman-Blue & Noah Harpster, Inspired by the Article “Can You Say…Hero?” by Tom Junod; TriStar Pictures
  • The Irishman, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian, Based upon the Book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt; Netflix
  • Jojo Rabbit, Screenplay by Taika Waititi, Based on the book Caging Skies by Christine Leunens; Fox Searchlight
  • Joker, Written by Todd Phillips & Scott Silver, Based on Characters from DC Comics; Warner Bros. Pictures
  • Little Women, Screenplay by Greta Gerwig, Based on the Novel by Louisa May Alcott; Sony Pictures

So, the guild agreed with the Scripters on three nominees (The IrishmanJojo Rabbit and Little Women) and went for A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Joker instead of Dark Waters and The Two Popes. (Note, incidentally, that the guild has stricter eligibility requirements than the Oscars and other groups do -- I think they only accept scripts that are written by guild members...?)

The winner will be announced February 1.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

Also, note: the Oscars disagreed with the Scripters on one of the positions, giving Joker the spot that the Scripters gave to Dark Waters, and the Oscars disagreed with the WGA on one of the positions, giving The Two Popes the spot that the WGA gave to A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood.

On 12/18/2019 at 12:11 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The USC Scripter nominees (for film adaptations):

• Matthew Carnahan and Mario Correa for “Dark Waters” based on the New York Times Magazine article “The Lawyer Who Became DuPont’s Worst Nightmare” by Nathaniel Rich
  • Steven Zaillian for “The Irishman” based on the nonfiction work “I Heard You Paint Houses” by Charles Brandt  
  • Taika Waititi for “JoJo Rabbit” based on the novel “Caging Skies” by Christine Leunens
  • Author Louisa May Alcott and screenwriter Greta Gerwig for “Little Women”
  • Anthony McCarten for “The Two Popes” based on his play “The Pope”

The winner will be announced January 25.

And the winner is... Little Women.

On 1/6/2020 at 8:09 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Writers Guild nominees:

• A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Written by Micah Fitzerman-Blue & Noah Harpster, Inspired by the Article “Can You Say…Hero?” by Tom Junod; TriStar Pictures
  • The Irishman, Screenplay by Steven Zaillian, Based upon the Book I Heard You Paint Houses by Charles Brandt; Netflix
  • Jojo Rabbit, Screenplay by Taika Waititi, Based on the book Caging Skies by Christine Leunens; Fox Searchlight
  • Joker, Written by Todd Phillips & Scott Silver, Based on Characters from DC Comics; Warner Bros. Pictures
  • Little Women, Screenplay by Greta Gerwig, Based on the Novel by Louisa May Alcott; Sony Pictures

. . . The winner will be announced February 1.

And the winner is... Jojo Rabbit