Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Profile Information Displayed in Avatar

Hi All,
There appears to have been a change in user settings that publishes info from user profile next to avatar. It may be disconcerting to some to have that information published. I am investigating the settings for how to turn that off (if I can). In the meantime, please know that you can edit your profile to remove location if you don't want it shown (or if you want to make it more generic). 

I did find the setting to remove "birthday" display from profile entirely. Given concerns about data mining and security, I don't think members should be asked to provide their birthdays, period....though I could be persuaded otherwise that such info might help in ways I haven't understood, I don't see that it shoudl be published.

I am wondering whether there should be or needs to be a profile slot for gender. (I do see that there is an option for "not telling.") 

I think that forums such as this work better when we discourage anonymity, but I also think the current settings go to far in neglecting some needs or desires for privacy. (There may be elements of people's lives that they want to share *eventually* if they participate in an Internet forum but shouldn't have to provide as a condition of entry...or am I wrong? Feedback is welcome.

Okay, so I found the settings in the dashboard. My question now is:

What info form the profile, if any, should be include in the member avatar next to the post. 

Right now it  appears to be:

Username

Avatar (uploaded or generated by software)
Role (Admin, Moderator, Member)

21 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Right now it  appears to be:

Username

Avatar (uploaded or generated by software)
Role (Admin, Moderator, Member)

I think keeping it the same is fine.  I think it's worth keeping 'gender' in there, just so we use the correct pronouns in referring to folks who have ambiguous online names (and since 'not telling' is an option for those who want to keep that to themselves).

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

http://secularcinephile.blogspot.com