Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

I can't believe I never reported here that when I saw Sky Captain on 9/19/04, the film broke. It took about fifteen minutes for them to repair it. I still remember it being quite fun -- not as much fun as Iron Man, but at least as much fun as Iron Man 2.

I haven't seen it since then.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

I just gave this film a rewatch this weekend--I don't know I've seen it since its original release--and really had a blast. It's no masterpiece, but it presents such a wonderfully rendered universe. Give me a lovingly made film like SKY CAPTAIN over something like IRON MAN any day.

I'll give you this: Sky Captain is a lovingly personal work in a way that the Iron Man movies aren't.

And yet. Robert Downey Jr. + Gwyneth Paltrow > Jude Law + Gwyneth Paltrow -- by a long shot.

More precisely, Robert Downey Jr. + Gwyneth Paltrow = screwball banter + charm + chemistry. Jude Law + Gwyneth Paltrow = pallid stab at screwball banter + charm + chemistry.

Obviously I'm oversimplifying, attributing to the actors what is really a matter of screenwriting and directing as well as acting. Be that as it may, lovingly personal is worth quite a bit. So are screwball banter, charm and chemistry.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

I just gave this film a rewatch this weekend--I don't know I've seen it since its original release--and really had a blast. It's no masterpiece, but it presents such a wonderfully rendered universe. Give me a lovingly made film like SKY CAPTAIN over something like IRON MAN any day.

I really, really enjoyed it too, and was sorry that it didn't get a better reception. I wanted to see sequels.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

SDG wrote:

: And yet. Robert Downey Jr. + Gwyneth Paltrow > Jude Law + Gwyneth Paltrow -- by a long shot.

And what about Robert Downey Jr. + Jude Law (a la Sherlock Holmes)? :)

: Obviously I'm oversimplifying, attributing to the actors what is really a matter of screenwriting and directing as well as acting.

To a point, but I do believe the Iron Man movies, at least, had a fair bit of improvisation.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

: And yet. Robert Downey Jr. + Gwyneth Paltrow > Jude Law + Gwyneth Paltrow -- by a long shot.

And what about Robert Downey Jr. + Jude Law (a la Sherlock Holmes)? :)

Ha! Haven't seen it, but I suspect that Robert Downey Jr. + Jude Law < Jude Law + Gwyneth Paltrow.

: Obviously I'm oversimplifying, attributing to the actors what is really a matter of screenwriting and directing as well as acting.

To a point, but I do believe the Iron Man movies, at least, had a fair bit of improvisation.

Good point. Still, for whatever reason, I could swap the Iron Man leads in for the Raiders leads in this sentence from my review, and I think the point would still be valid:

Unlike, say, Raiders’s Indiana Jones and Marion Ravenwood, Sky Captain’s plucky Polly Perkins (Paltrow) and daring Joe "Sky Captain" Sullivan (Law) never become more than types. Their bickering dialogue is only fitfully amusing, and never really charming.
Edited by SDG

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Ha! Haven't seen it, but I suspect that Robert Downey Jr. + Jude Law < Jude Law + Gwyneth Paltrow.

I went in thinking that Jude Law would be the film's mistake. But nope... Downey Jr. + Jude Law make a charming couple. In fact, I found it to be one of Jude Law's best roles in a while, acting as the film's sturdy anchor while Downey Jr. hams it up. If anything, Downey Jr. is the film's biggest problem. He's just so... Robert Downey Jr.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Thanks, Ryan. This is making up for all my frustrations in desiring "fun" with Indiana Jones last week. The only problem is there are three of those, and only one of these. (PS $4 Big Bucks at Blockbuster, where, if you never rent, you can have an amicable relationship.)

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.