Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Aladdin 2

Links to our threads on Aladdin (2019) and Genies (in development).

Links to our other Disney-live-action-films-based-on-animated-films threads on Enchanted (2007), Alice in Wonderland (2010), The Sorcerer's Apprentice (2010), Maleficent (2014), Cinderella (2015), The Jungle Book (2016), Alice through the Looking Glass (2016), Pete's Dragon (2016), Beauty and the Beast (2017), Christopher Robin (2018), Dumbo (2019), The Lion King (2019), Maleficent: Mistress of Evil (2019), Lady and the Tramp (2019), Mulan (2020), Cruella (2021), The Chronicles of Prydain (in development), Enchanted 2 (in development), The Jungle Book 2 (in development), Lilo & Stitch (in development), The Little Mermaid (in development), Night on Bald Mountain (in development), Peter Pan (in development), Pinocchio (in development), Prince Charming (in development), The Sword in the Stone (in development) and Tink (in development). We don't seem to have any threads on 101 Dalmatians (1996) or 102 Dalmatians (2000). Has Disney made any *other* live-action films based on their cartoons?

The Alice and Maleficent sequels didn't do very well, so I'm not sure what the prospects are for *this* film, but we'll see, I guess.

- - -

‘Aladdin’ Sequel in the Works (EXCLUSIVE)
Following the massive success of last summer’s reboot, Disney is developing a follow-up to the film with writers John Gatins and Andrea Berloff.
Sources say the movie is in early development, but after spending the last six months figuring out what direction to take the next film, producers look to have found their path. . . .
It’s unknown at this time whether director Guy Ritchie will return. Producers hope to bring back stars Will Smith, Mena Massoud and Naomi Scott, but offers won’t be extended to the cast until a script is ready.
The film will be a theatrical release, not a Disney Plus title. The original animated movie had two straight-to-video sequels, but sources say this new take is completely original and not based on those ideas. . . .
Following the film’s success, studio execs knew audiences were hungry for more, but were also aware that they needed to find the right take. After a thorough search that involved taking pitches from numerous writers, they finally found what they were looking for following a meeting with Gatins and Berloff.
Gatins, who earned an Oscar nomination for his work on the Denzel Washington drama “Flight,” most recently wrote “Power Rangers” for Lionsgate. Berloff’s credits include “The Kitchen,” which she also directed, “Sleepless,” and “Straight Outta Compton,” which earned her an Oscar nomination for original screenplay.
Variety, February 12

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.