Sign in to follow this  
BethR

The Green Knight

Medievalist social media is going crazy over the teaser trailer for The Green Knight, directed by David Lowery and starring Dev Patel as Sir Gawain, described as:

An epic fantasy adventure based on the timeless Arthurian legend, The Green Knight tells the story of Sir Gawain (Dev Patel), King Arthur’s reckless and headstrong nephew, who embarks on a daring quest to confront the eponymous Green Knight, a gigantic emerald-skinned stranger and tester of men. Gawain contends with ghosts, giants, thieves, and schemers in what becomes a deeper journey to define his character and prove his worth in the eyes of his family and kingdom by facing the ultimate challenger.  From visionary filmmaker David Lowery comes a fresh and bold spin on a classic tale from the knights of the round table.

The trailer looks insane, but how much worse could it be than Sword of the Valiant, starring Sean Connery? May 29 will reveal all!

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I'm not a David Lowery fan, but I am excited for a feverish adaptation of "Sir Gawain and the Green Knight." Let's hope that's what we get. Dev Patel and Joel Edgerton being in it only add to my excitement.

1 hour ago, BethR said:

The trailer looks insane, but how much worse could it be than Sword of the Valiant, starring Sean Connery? May 29 will reveal all!

Ho boy, I'm not sure any film can be worse than Sword of the Valiant. haha

"Cinema is an improvement on life." - Francois Truffaut

I am really excited for this. Thanks for sharing. I've always imagined a film adaptation foregrounding this as a Christmas film since the setting is around two Christmas seasons a year apart, and that's something I found significant in the book. But there are obviously so many ways to go with such a rich story.

On 2/14/2020 at 10:19 AM, Aren Bergstrom said:

Ho boy, I'm not sure any film can be worse than Sword of the Valiant. haha

I started watching this some years back because of my love of the source material, but it was so bad I just had to stop!