kenmorefield

Deleting Old/Empty Topics

Awhile ago, I posted something about the potential for weeding (deleting) topics that were no longer identifiable as to content. At the time, my perception was that most people were against it for reasons I am not sure I understand but didn't want to dismiss. 

In looking to see if we had a thread on Koreeda's After Life, I ran across this thread:

The link is no longer working -- it just goes to the current New Yorker page. It's not even clear what films are being discussed. I would think this would the sort of thread that would be okay to delete, but based on past history, I feel like there are some people that are against deleting any threads for any reason. I admit I'm neither an historian nor archivist, so perhaps there is value in these that I don't see/understand. If so, could someone explain it to me? 

I bring it up again because I feel like I could start deleting some of these as I find them and people wouldn't necessarily notice, but that if I did so without saying anything it could cause hard feelings if people just suddenly became aware that I had erased dozens of threads. That said, A&F is around 20 years old, and at some point storage space, even for an accumulation of text messages, adds up.

The article they were discussing wasn't hard to find.

To my mind, preserving the record always has value. When a community has existed as long as this one, some people will be interested in its history and development, and you can gain valuable information about such by accumulating a multitude of small data points. In this case, I would say the very fact that small threads about single articles like this used to be started all the time is worthwhile information, since it helps us see how the site has developed. I'd like to be able to go back and review many such threads if the occasion ever comes up.

FWIW, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is on this, such that if storage costs are the issue, this would get me to donate if donations for the site are opened up again.

Seconding what Rushmore said.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.