Darren H

+1 Nominations

4 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

This is an excellent pick, and I wanted to point out that Embrace of the Serpent is also a nominated film about indigenous spirituality.

Thanks Joel. I'll make Embrace the Serpent a top priority.

On 4/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, Benchwarmer said:

My +1 is

Jodhaa Akbar (2008)

That was going to be mine as well. Now I get another vote!

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Pather Panchali (1955)

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

We need some Martel to consider:

My +1 is The Headless Woman (2008)

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Latest update:

1. Persepolis (2007)
  2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019)
  3. The Celebration (1998)
  4. Jodhaa Akbar (2008)
  5. Meshes of the Afternoon (1943)
  6. Leave No Trace (2018)
  7. Gates of Heaven (1978)
  8. Stories We Tell (2012)
  9. Smoke Signals (1998)
  10. Whale Rider (2002)
  11. Pather Panchali (1955)
  12. Cloud Atlas (2012)
  13. Secret Sunshine (2007)
  14. The Headless Woman (2008)

The Story of the Weeping Camel (2003)

is what I nominate. One of the two directors is a Mongolian woman.

Edited by Rob Z

On 4/6/2020 at 8:05 PM, Ed Bertram said:

Thanks Joel. I'll make Embrace the Serpent a top priority.

I had forgotten how potent this film is. Such a great idea to consider it for this list.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I feel like I've seen several post-list-release comments lamenting that a certain +1 film wasn't advocated for more strongly by the person who posted it, which got me thinking: Did any of these films crack the Top 25? I see more than a few films that placed far down the list.

Let me put my question another way: Was the +1 experiment worth conducting? I suppose we can talk about this during tonight's call if it seems relevant. But because not everyone will be on the call, and because we might focus more on the Top 25 during the call, feel free to post thoughts here.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

39 minutes ago, Christian said:

Let me put my question another way: Was the +1 experiment worth conducting?

I definitely think it was, especially since a couple of the films made the Top 100. Like Ken's prompt about women director's, it was also just a good exercise for me to think about personally.

1 hour ago, Christian said:

Let me put my question another way: Was the +1 experiment worth conducting? I suppose we can talk about this during tonight's call if it seems relevant. But because not everyone will be on the call, and because we might focus more on the Top 25 during the call, feel free to post thoughts here.

Since this is election year: still undecided but leaning toward not successful (though worth trying).
If the goal (as it was for me) was to promote diversity by getting more women nominees, then not so much. Though if we fold in people of color, maybe a little more. Was Secret Sunshine the only +1 to make the list? 

But if the goal was to assauge fears about not grandfathering the previous Top 100 so that people could feel more adventurous in their nominations, yes. 

My comment about advocacy had more to do with seriously overestimating the amount of influence discussion might have. Even though 23 is a small number of voters, not everyone was following the discussion (which is fine),  and given the number of noms people hadn't seen, it really ended up (for me anyway) having enough energy to seriously consider one thing that someone else was vying for. Darren advocating for BV and Frisco Jenny moved the needle slightly, but not enough in the former. Gareth (off line) speaking to me on behalf of Stories We Tell moved the needle for me, and I *think* I watched every film by a female that I hadn't seen except the Akerman (which I couldn't find). So in retrospect, I wish I had been more selective in advocating more passionately for fewer films that I nominated. And post-results, inevitably, I feel like I have a better handle on what people wanted and what among my favorites might have been better candidates.