Discussing the Results

kenmorefield

2 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I nominated Kundun, which is quite meaningful to me spiritually, though I don't share the religion of the Dalai Lama. Though it didn't make headway, it is something of an outsider's look (in English, written/directed by Americans, etc.) at an Eastern religion. Looks like only 13 people had seen it though.

Where do we see the list of unseen films by voters? Or amount seen by voters by film.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

7 hours ago, Darren H said:

Of Gods and Men over Silence

Wow, these not only had the same number of voters and votes, but the same standard deviation! Fortunately these are in the Top 25, so round 2 should be what ranks them.

5 hours ago, Anders said:

I'm really missing Tokyo Story not being high up the list.

It should at least be ahead of Make Way for Tomorrow, as a thematically similar film!

5 hours ago, Joshua Wilson said:

I nominated Kundun, which is quite meaningful to me spiritually, though I don't share the religion of the Dalai Lama. Though it didn't make headway, it is something of an outsider's look (in English, written/directed by Americans, etc.) at an Eastern religion. Looks like only 13 people had seen it though.

Your nomination prompted me to watch it for the first time, and I would have been happy to see it on the list, though near the bottom (I can't remember if I gave it a 4 or 3). I nominated The Story of the Weeping Camel from Mongolia, and now I wish I'd advocated more for it. I think those might be the only central Asian films? There is a LOT of land and history between Dersu Uzala and Andrei Rublev.

5 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Sophie Scholl, which I still haven't seen

She was Lutheran, I believe. I agree the list skews Catholic, but I wouldn't go so far as to say it goes too Catholic (speaking as a Protestant Christian who skews very ecumenical myself). When I have more time, I'll go through and do some counting regarding religious traditions.

I am more disappointed by the lack of geographic diversity. But the films that I'd want Timbuktu, Ushpizin, Mr. Lazarescu, The Assassin, Uncle Boonmee, and Still Life (just to mention some of the highest ranking ones) and the others to replace aren't the second films by directors whose movies I find more spiritually significant. If this book contains a few alt lists (most controversial, women directors), I hope it could mention some of the geographically diverse films that just missed the cut. Perhaps that would be something for a mention in the Intro rather than an Appendix.

Perhaps the thing that struck me most about the Top 25 was that 4 are very much World War 2 films: A Hidden Life, Sophie Scholl, A Man Escaped, and Night and Fog. Several other films on the list are WW2 films (Rome, Open City, Grave of the Fireflies, The Burmese Harp) or are concerned with its aftermath (Tokyo Story, Heartbeat Detector, The Best Years of Our Lives).

Didn't know where to post my response to the result (and my related thoughts about the voting and publication process going forward) — here, or in the Voting Process thread. I posted it in the Voting Process thread. But in this post, I give my assessment of the results. If you want me to re-post those observations here, I can.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

2 minutes ago, Overstreet said:

Didn't know where to post my response to the result (and my related thoughts about the voting and publication process going forward) — here, or in the Voting Process thread. I posted it in the Voting Process thread. But in this post, I give my assessment of the results. If you want me to re-post those observations here, I can.

Hi Jeff,

The two overlap, but I think the idea is that the Voting Process is for questions or comments about what the process should be and how it might have impacted the results. I think this is more general responses to the results themselves, irrespective of process. But it was split off, so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Films I am happy made the list: Do the Right Thing, Monsieur Vincent, Rome Open City, Secrets and Lies, My Neighbor Totoro, Grand Illusion & both Varda films
  • Films I am disappointed did not make the list: Wild Strawberries, The Big City, Summer, On the Waterfront, The Phantom Carriage, Stevie, The Island, Fitzcarraldo
  • Films I am pleasantly surprised made the list: Through a Glass Darkly, The House Is Black,The Best Years of Our Lives, Won't You Be My Neighbor?, Dead Man Walking
  • Films I am most surprised about:     Ditto to Ken's omissions + the addition of The Wrong Man (esp. being higher than Vertigo)

EDIT:

Edited by Ed Bertram

I was also swayed, Ed, by The Phantom Carriage as a good film for this list. Hard to watch that and not see how much it influenced so many other films we talk about at A&F, especially Bergman. 

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter