kenmorefield

Scoob! (2020)

I shared on Facebook pre-Pandemic, that I found myself having a surprising emotional reaction to the trailers for Scoob!

I can't say the trailer looked particularly great or anything, but, you know, I was smiling, happy, wistful. I apparently have some deep nostalgia for Scooby Doo that has heretofore skipped over the live-action films or direct-to-video releases (like Scooby Doo and Dracula or Scooby Doo and Batman).

So I was really looking forward to this...alot. Not necessarily as a movie but as a personal treat, especially since it was going to be released right around graduation and would mark the beginning of my summer. 

Well, we all know what happened next...

So I found myself on Amazon today going...$20 to *rent*!?!! I get that portions are donated to theaters to help, but....yaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Has anyone actually seen this? If you can report that it was awful, I might feel better about holding out until true rental prices return.

Here is an Ipad paint-by--numbers I did because I'm going a little shelter-at-home crazy:

I watched it today, mainly because I had seen a few people (such as yourself) who were excited by the trailers and I wanted something "unstressful" to watch on a Saturday.

Aside from a few jokes I thought were pretty clever, and some sequences that I thought were well-crafted from an animation perspective, I found it rather grating. That's mainly because I wanted more of a traditional Scooby-Doo romp, and the film is more of a broader Hanna-Barbera adventure, which I guess I would have realized if I had paid closer attention to the trailers. If you don't mind that, and you're in the mood for some emotional beats about the power of friendship, then... you might like it? That said, if your nostalgia is primarily for Scooby-Doo ghost mysteries specifically, your best bet is probably to stay away... or just watch the first 20 minutes.

Edited by WriterAndrew

3 minutes ago, WriterAndrew said:

I watched it today, mainly because I had seen a few people (such as yourself) who were excited by the trailers and I wanted something "unstressful" to watch on a Saturday.

Aside from a few jokes I thought were pretty clever, and some sequences that I thought were well-crafted from an animation perspective, I found it rather grating. That's mainly because I wanted more of a traditional Scooby-Doo romp, and the film is more of a broader Hanna-Barbera adventure, which I guess I would have realized if I had paid closer attention to the trailers. If you don't mind that, and you're in the mood for some emotional beats about the power of friendship, then... you might like it? That said, if your nostalgia is primarily for Scooby-Doo ghost mysteries specifically, your best bet is probably to stay away... or just watch the first 20 minutes.

Or maybe just to watch a couple of episodes of the Saturday morning cartoon...