WriterAndrew

Babe: Pig In The City (1998)

I couldn't find a thread on this masterpiece, so I figured I'd start one.

I recently went through all of Miller's filmography, and I found myself blown away by this movie, which I had almost entirely forgotten ever since 11-year-old me had dismissed it as being "worse than the original."

From my musings on Letterboxd:

Adult me now sees it for what it ruly is: the Citizen Kane of talking animal films, and a near-miraculous piece of technical filmmaking. There were multiple scenes that left me in stunned silence, as if I were watching a pig herd sheep.

Am I crazy for thinking this is even better than Fury Road? Not only does it boast that film's degree of editing and camera craft, it does it all with animal actors, which strikes me as perhaps even more impressive. And while it lacks the original's warmth, it feels like a far more morally mature film to me. (I suppose the fact that it's a darker and more "adult" film could be a point of contention for some, but I'd rather have a "children's film" in which the lead character suffers a brief existential crisis about the meaning of life in the face of mortality than one that argues someone's worth is dependent on their abilities.) The scene in which Babe saves the life of a creature that literally was about to murder him as everyone else silently turns away strikes me as an act of individual courage and principle on par with that of Thomas More in A Man For All Seasons or Franz Jaggerstater in A Hidden Life. Guess what I'm giving a "6" on the next Top 100 vote...

Edited by WriterAndrew
added year of release to title

Oh boy, Andrew. Your enthusiasm is shared by much of the Film Twitter crowd, but know that this board has longtime despisers of that film. You'll probably be hearing from them soon. You've been warned! :)

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

All I will say is Fury Road is a masterpiece. Babe is a masterpiece. And trying to mix them into one film is a worse combination than toothpaste and orange juice.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

14 minutes ago, Evan C said:

All I will say is Fury Road is a masterpiece. Babe is a masterpiece. And trying to mix them into one film is a worse combination than toothpaste and orange juice.

Are you telling me you wouldn't watch 2 hours of this?

Edited by WriterAndrew

I had always heard the naysayers on this board, but count me among those that love Pig in the City. I bought the Blu-ray and my kids and my parents and I all sat down last summer and we loved it. It's truly insane, but also lovely.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I was surprised there wasn't a thread either, but I confirmed Andrew's search. 

Here is a link to the thread "Worst Films of the Decade" that does have some Pig in City chatter.

I don't remember having strong feelings either way (maybe that thread was when I was in the wilderness?) so someone will no doubt find some ancient Twitter feed or Facebook post where I called it the best or worst of all time....