Darren H

Round 2 Voting

Deadline: Friday, May 22 at 11:59 PM (Eastern)

Voting is now live for the second round. Ken had hoped for a quick turnaround but we agreed it might be nice to allow everyone a few days to catch up with some films. (I'm planning to watch the two I've never seen.) Here are the instructions.

- - -

The film that gets more votes in each pairing will represent that director in the top 100.

You are required to make a selection for each of the 18 pairs. Pick one of the two films or choose "abstain." Please use "abstain" at your own discretion: if you haven't seen either film, if you've seen only one film but don't feel compelled to advocate for it, or if you've seen both films but prefer to allow other voters to decide.

NOTE: Each pair is listed in the order of their original ranking. For example, The Seventh Seal was #31 and Through a Glass Darkly was #52.

- - -

In other words, if you choose to not vote at all, or if you abstain on any of the races, you are essentially allowing the rest of us to decide. On Saturday morning, winners will be determined by a simple vote count. If Ordet gets 8 votes, Passion gets 7, 5 people abstain, and 4 people don't vote at all, Ordet wins 8-7.

https://form.jotform.com/201376446291052

We had 21 voters. And the winners are . . .

• Bergman: The Seventh Seal (17-4)
  • Bresson: Diary of Country Priest (10-6-5)*
  • Dardennes: The Kid with a Bike (10-7-4)*
  • Denis: Beau travail (10-5-6)*
  • Dreyer: Ordet (11-9-1)
  • Hitchcock: Vertigo (9-7-5)*
  • Kiarostami: Close-up (9-5-7)
  • Kurosawa: Ikiru (12-6-3)
  • Malick: Tree of Life (13-8)*
  • Miyazaki: Spirited Away (11-9-1)*
  • Murnau: Sunrise (9-7-5)*
  • Ozu: Tokyo Story (9-6-6)*
  • Ray: The Music Room (10-2-9)*
  • Rohmer: My Night at Maud's (9-1-11)
  • Rossellini: The Flowers of St. Francis (8-6-7)
  • Tarkovsky: Andrei Rublev (13-7-1)
  • Varda: The Gleaners & I (9-6-6)
  • Wenders: Wings of Desire (10-8-3)

* Second place film replaces first-round film.

I'm so glad there weren't any ties! In fact, no result was separated by a single vote.

It makes me smile that Bergman and Malick are the two choices where everyone who voted had an opinion. (And, in my opinion, we made the right choice in both cases!)

My choices went 10-8 and a couple of those losses hurt more than others, but obviously I can't fault any of these inclusions in the list. Great films, all of them. And if nothing else this step in the process pushed me to watch Red Beard, which is also deserving of a spot.

It surprises me how many of the second-place films replaced the higher ranked film, which also makes me think that this vote was helpful/essential for this process. And the Rohmer and Ray results makes me think that many folks simply haven't seen one or both of the films (myself included—My Night At Maud's is not an easy film to find), but that those who have are quite passionate about them.

4 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

It surprises me how many of the second-place films replaced the higher ranked film, which also makes me think that this vote was helpful/essential for this process. And the Rohmer and Ray results makes me think that many folks simply haven't seen one or both of the films (myself included—My Night At Maud's is not an easy film to find), but that those who have are quite passionate about them.

I am not because of how close the voting actually was in Round 1 and the way some (but not all) distributed 6 votes in Round 1. 

That Bresson vote hurts. But I suppose somebody somewhere now gets to publish an essay comparing about the relationship between Diary and First Reformed. 

Wow, 14/18 I voted for the losing film! The Bergman and Murnau definitely hurt the most. I'm most surprised by the Denis and Dardennes; I really thought those would go the other way. Proud to have been the one vote for A Tale of Winter.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

8 minutes ago, Evan C said:

I'm most surprised by the Denis and Dardennes; I really thought those would go the other way. 

I suspect that Round 2 might have been a little more influenced by enthusiastic endorsements. For the few I was on the fence about, I was more easily swayed by those who made a case in one of the threads for their preferences. Joel's comments swayed me as to the Dardennes' film, and although I am more or less even on the Denis films, Darren's and Mike's long-standing esteem for BT and the absence of some of the nominees that dealt with sexuality (Celluloid Closet, Eyes Wide Shut, Carol) both influenced me.

Regarding the Dardennes' pick, I do think the accessibility of The Kid with a Bike—both in terms of the film's emotional resonance with an audience, as well as the ability to actually watch it somehow on streaming or get it on DVD/Blu-ray via Criterion—makes me think it's a better choice for someone who (like me a decade or so ago) stumbled upon the Top 100 list and decided to watch The Son, having not heard of the Dardennes before. In other words, it's a better introduction to the Dardennes for someone who might be new to world cinema.

3 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

Regarding the Dardennes' pick, I do think the accessibility of The Kid with a Bike—both in terms of the film's emotional resonance with an audience, as well as the ability to actually watch it somehow on streaming or get it on DVD/Blu-ray via Criterion—makes me think it's a better choice for someone who (like me a decade or so ago) stumbled upon the Top 100 list and decided to watch The Son, having not heard of the Dardennes before. In other words, it's a better introduction to the Dardennes for someone who might be new to world cinema.

Both are perfect films in my estimation, but this was the same reasoning I used for voting yea on Kid with a Bike.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

7 hours ago, Evan C said:

Wow, 14/18 I voted for the losing film! The Bergman and Murnau definitely hurt the most. I'm most surprised by the Denis and Dardennes; I really thought those would go the other way. Proud to have been the one vote for A Tale of Winter.

I voted your way on those Bergman and Murnau.

For me, The Son is a masterpiece within which I cannot find a moment of weakness. I can't say that about The Kid With a Bike, but that's a conversation for another thread. I love them both. 

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.