The Arts & Faith Top 100 2020 RESULTS and Discussion

20 hours ago, Darren H said:

Only thing that strikes me as odd is Scorsese is sneaking in above the Dardennes.

It is a pretty gangster move.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

On 5/27/2020 at 3:24 PM, Darren H said:

Only thing that strikes me as odd is Scorsese is sneaking in above the Dardennes.

I was a little surprised that Blue was as low as it was. Assumed it would stand in for a Three Colors. Is the implication that this film is elevated by the other two?

I'm slowing going back and trying to populate old lists on the app page. 

It's interesting to me that in the 2017 "Waking Up" list This is Martin Bonner is #17 and Tree of Life is #25, but on the Top 100 page for 2020, Martin Bonner is at 99 and Tree of Life is at #3. Wonder if the latter rose in some people's opinions (I don't think I voted in 2017) or if it was just not deemed right for the theme.

Thankful to Gareth and The Porch Magazine for running this intro to our list: https://www.theporchmagazine.com/recent/2020/6/3/crawling-towards-diversity-reflections-on-the-arts-amp-faith-top-100-spiritually-significant-films-kenneth-r-morefield

On 5/31/2020 at 10:09 PM, kenmorefield said:

I'm slowing going back and trying to populate old lists on the app page. 

It's interesting to me that in the 2017 "Waking Up" list This is Martin Bonner is #17 and Tree of Life is #25, but on the Top 100 page for 2020, Martin Bonner is at 99 and Tree of Life is at #3. Wonder if the latter rose in some people's opinions (I don't think I voted in 2017) or if it was just not deemed right for the theme.

My Tree of Life vote on the Waking Up list was entirely about the theme. Malick had 3 films in the top 25. I thought Knight of Cups was most fitting for the theme. I also gave a high mark to The New World. On that list, I gave a low rating to The Tree of Life and was actually somewhat disappointed to see it make the top 25. Yet, The Tree of Life was the only Malick film I nominated for the top 100. Its transcendent quality makes it too vast in its spiritual significance for me to justify fitting it neatly into any specific category. That slight problem I had with its inclusion in the Waking Up list is exactly the same reason I was overjoyed to see it at #3 on this list.

Edited by Ed Bertram
23 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Ken,

Thank you for this insightful and hopeful message of where A&F is headed concerning diversity. I just started a new topic on the main "Film" page about the Criterion Channel's Pioneers of African American Cinema collection. During the process of making the top 100, our discussions included the channel's collections of films directed by women. They also currently have a collection available now for Pride month. So, I want to express my gratitude to the Criterion Channel for helping us "crawl towards diversity" to and encourage us all to use these collections to impact our conversations and future lists.

Edited by Ed Bertram
  • 3 weeks later...

On reaching the end of Mark Harris' marvelous book Five Came Back, I learned that 2 of our Top 100 were released less than a month apart: The Best Years of Our Lives (Thanksgiving 1946) and It's a Wonderful Life (just before Christmas).  If only PTC still came around, he could tell us if there are any other temporal groupings like that.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/