kenmorefield

2020 Top 100 -- Discussion and Blurbs

On 5/23/2020 at 9:20 AM, kenmorefield said:

One of my concerns over this iteration is that with the smaller number of participants there may not be enough people to write blurbs. So don't be bashful if you genuinely want to write something. Films with (*) indicate that we have a pre-existing blurb in some other list if needed, though you are welcome to claim a film if you want to update that blurb....I may have missed a couple of those, but they are the ones I am sure I know where there are blurbs from. Remember that based on new app, there is a little more space, so you can go as long or as short as you want. 

I don't have any updated ideas about introduction, though I will circle back to CT now that we have a list. If I don't hear any better ideas, I'll write up the intro at 1More Film Blog and link to it in the header of the list, but I'm happy to hand that off if someone has a better idea. 

1. Ordet (1955) * -- Ken et al. 
  2. Andrei Rublev (1966)* -- Overstreet
  3. The Tree of Life (2011)--Joel M.
  4. Babette's Feast (1987)* -- Evan C. 
  5. Of Gods and Men (2010) -- SDG
  6. Silence (2016) -- Russ
  7. The Kid With a Bike (2011) -- Joel Mayward
  8. Do the Right Thing (1989) -- Kevin S. 
  9. Ikiru (1952)* -- Andrew S. 
  10. Diary of a Country Priest (1951)*
  11. First Reformed (2017) -MLeary
  12. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)*
  13. The Miracle Maker (2000)* -- SDG
  14. The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)*
  15. Into Great Silence (2005)* -- SDG
  16. The Flowers of St. Francis (1950)* -- SDG
  17. The Seventh Seal (1957)*
  18. Three Colors: Blue (1993)* -- Overstreet
  19. Night of the Hunter (1955)* -- Ken
  20. Night and Fog (1956) -- Darren
  21. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)* -- SDG
  22. Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)*
  23. Sunrise (1927)*
  24. Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005)*
  25. Monsieur Vincent (1947)*
  26. The House is Black (1963)*
  27. My Night at Maud's (1969)* -- Darren
  28. A Man for All Seasons (1966)* -- I'll probably keep SDG's blurb unless anyone is anxious to update this.
  29. Heartbeat Detector (2007)*
  30.  A Moment of Innocence (1996)*
  31. Close-Up (1990)*
  32. To Sleep With Anger (1990)
  33. The Gleaners & I (2000)*
  34. Spirited Away (2001)--Anders
  35. The Apostle (1997)*
  36. The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)
  37. The Man Who Planted Trees (1987)*
  38. Bicycle Thieves (1948)*
  39. The Grapes of Wrath (1940) -- Brian D. 
  40. Beau Travail (1999)*
  41. Munyurangabo (2007)*
  42. Secrets and Lies (1996)
  43. Frisco Jenny (1932) -- Darren
  44. Tokyo Story (1953)*
  45. L'Avventura (1960) -- Michael S.
  46. Amazing Grace (2018)
  47. Wings of Desire (1987)*
  48. The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)
  49. Tender Mercies (1983)*
  50. The Music Room (1958) - Josh Wilson
  51. The Song of Bernadette (1943)* --SDG
  52. Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)
  53. Dead Man Walking (1995)*
  54. Blade Runner (1982)
  55. A Brighter Summer Day (1991)
  56. The Burmese Harp (1956)*
  57. Lourdes (2009)
  58. Cameraperson (2016)
  59. Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2010)--Andrew S.
  60. The Mill and the Cross (2011)
  61. Chariots of Fire (1981)*
  62. Grave of the Fireflies (1988) -- Andrew S. 
  63. Stop Making Sense (1984)
  64. The Grand Illusion (1937)
  65. Vertigo (1958) -- Ken
  66. Embrace of the Serpent (2015) -- Andrew S.
  67. Secret Sunshine (2007) -- Russ
  68. A Serious Man (2009)*
  69. In Praise of Love (2001)
  70. In a Lonely Place (1950)
  71. I Am Not Your Negro (2016) -- Andrew S.
  72. Calvary (2014)
  73. The Act of Killing (2012)
  74. Ponette (1996)*
  75. After Life (1998)* -- Anders
  76. Amadeus (1984)*
  77. Witness (1985) --SDG
  78. Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)*
  79. The Mission (1986) -- Rob Z.
  80. At the Death House Door (2008) --Ken
  81. Fiddler on the Roof (1971)*
  82. Magnolia (1999)
  83. 7th Heaven (1927)
  84. Silent Light (2007)
  85. On the Waterfront (1954)--Brian D. 
  86. The Phantom Carriage (1921)*
  87. Schindler's List (1993)*
  88. The Work (2017) -- writerAndrew
  89. The Ushpizin (2004)
  90. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
  91. The Immigrant (2013)
  92. Selma (2014)--Brian D. 
  93. The Red Shoes (1948)
  94. Timbuktu (2014)* -- Overstreet
  95. Places in the Heart (1984)
  96. Still Life (2006) -- Anders 
  97. Nazarin (1959)
  98. What Time is It There? (2001)
  99. This is Martin Bonner (2013)
  100. Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives (2010) -- Anders

If this is the current, updated list reflecting which films don't have commitments for blurbs yet, then I would love to write blurbs for Grand Illusion, Blade Runner & 7th Heaven. What are we looking at for a time frame? (I'm sorry for the likely repetition, I didn't have time to read through the whole thread yet). I can write those three without re-watching the films, but if there is enough time, I could also do Secrets and Lies and Magnolia, as long as I can watch them again first. I was already planning on watching Secrets and Lies over the weekend.

Edited by Ed Bertram

40 minutes ago, Ed Bertram said:

If this is the current, updated list reflecting which films don't have commitments for blurbs yet, then I would love to write blurbs for Grand Illusion, Blade Runner & 7th Heaven. What are we looking at for a time frame? (I'm sorry for the likely repetition, I didn't have time to read through the whole thread yet). I can write those three without re-watching the films, but if there is enough time, I could also do Secrets and Lies and Magnolia, as long as I can watch them again first. I was already planning on watching Secrets and Lies over the weekend.

Ed I'd be happy for you to do Grand Illusion and/or 7th Heaven. The latter already has a shell up, so you can add a blurb by selecting "Manage Film" in the corner and then "edit." 

A couple of people have asked for Blade Runner, so I'm still thinking through who I want to do that.

http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/film/359-7th-heaven/

Sorry for the delay on my blurbs, I'll get to work on those today and tomorrow. One question I had about sharing and social media: I've made a list of the Top 100 on Letterboxd, but it's currently private. When should I make it public, and what should I link to for the blurbs/list?

4 hours ago, Joel Mayward said:

Sorry for the delay on my blurbs, I'll get to work on those today and tomorrow. One question I had about sharing and social media: I've made a list of the Top 100 on Letterboxd, but it's currently private. When should I make it public, and what should I link to for the blurbs/list?

All parts of list are now public so no reason why summaries (such as Letterboxd) should not be. I've been mostly liniking to the first message in the results thread since it has the list, though I have also tweeted out individual pages on the app-generated list to feature blurbs.

Has anyone claimed 2001 or The Seventh Seal? I'd be happy to write on of those for the top 25.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

24 minutes ago, Anders said:

Has anyone claimed 2001 or The Seventh Seal? I'd be happy to write on of those for the top 25.

I would love for you to do The Seventh Seal. (The first negative comment I heard about the list was from a lover of Winter Light expressing dissatisfaction that First Reformed and Seventh Seal were in while Winter Light was out.

I'm waiting to hear back from MLeary about 2001 since he did the 2010/11 blurb. I'm reluctant to overwrite or reassign films from people who are still here unless they are okay with that or want to rewrite them themselves. But some people are happy to see them changed. (Like Andrew S. saying he'd like to see someone else to A Serious Man). 

Great. The Seventh Seal sounds good to me. Thanks.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

1 hour ago, Wade Bearden said:

Given my avatar, I feel like I should take Stop Making Sense (if it's still available).

Thanks Wade! I set your account to allow you to use the app. You can go here: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/year/8-2020-top-100/  and select "Add new Film" or you can wait until I populate the shell and then choose "Manage Film" and "Edit" to add your blurb.

Just an update for everyone. I discovered an issue today that changing the photo in one list can cause a broken link in some others depending on how the previously attached photo is decoupled. If you are editing a pre-existing shell, please do not "delete" the photo if you are uploading a new one. Simply choose "select file" to upload the new photo. That way it will attach the new photo without deleting the old one.

Nobody is required to pick a new photo, just giving instructions for those who do.

10 minutes ago, Michael S said:

Just posted my write-up on L'Avventura. Ken, which films still need a writer? I can't guarantee I'd have time for more, but I thought it'd be work asking.

Did you mention you could do In a Lonely Place? If so, that would be great. 

I'm populating the shells today and will post an update about which posts still need blurbs this evening.

Top 100 lists before 2011 are now unavailable--is that correct?

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

33 minutes ago, BethR said:

Top 100 lists before 2011 are now unavailable--is that correct?

Hi Beth,
See this thread in Short Term Parking: 

There is a nifty user made spreadsheet that preserves the results. And some of the lists are available via the wayback machine. We have discussions archived in the Top 100 Forum threads, though the results are usually in the first thread, many of which were deleted by a previous admin. 

Short answer: we have the previous lists, but we don't have them readily available in app format.

2 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Did you mention you could do In a Lonely Place? If so, that would be great.

I did. Thanks. I'll get started on it soon.

All the shells are populated now. 
Here are the films that I don't have new blurbs for. Asterisks means there is an old blurb, which I'd be willing to replace if there is a new volunteer. A couple of these are ones people have volunteered for but I haven't yet assigned because I got a lot of "I'd be willing to do some but not all....so I was assigning as things were competed. Now that the first rush is over and the Top 25 is mostly parceled please feel free to claim dibs for more than one but please only put dibs on one (or more) that you are confident you'll actually do. I don't want to be e-mailing people a month from now going, "did you ever write that blurb...?"

Highest Priority: (Assigned blurbs not yet completed)

Next Highest Priority:

To Sleep With Anger (1990)

The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)

Amazing Grace (2018)

The Best Years of Our Lives (1946)

Won't You Be My Neighbor? (2018)

Lourdes (2009)
Cameraperson (2016)

The Mill and the Cross (2011)

A Brighter Summer Day (1991)

In Praise of Love (2001)
Calvary (2014)
The Act of Killing (2012)

Nazarin (1959)
What Time is It There? (2001)
This is Martin Bonner (2013)

Third Priority (Happy to have new blurbs if nothing in tier 1 or 2 interests you)

Diary of a Country Priest (1951)*
The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)*
Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)*
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005)*
Monsieur Vincent (1947)*
The House is Black (1963)*
Heartbeat Detector (2007)*
 A Moment of Innocence (1996)*
Close-Up (1990)*
The Gleaners & I (2000)*
The Apostle (1997)*
The Man Who Planted Trees (1987)*
Beau Travail (1999)*
Munyurangabo (2007)*
Tokyo Story (1953)*
Wings of Desire (1987)*
Tender Mercies (1983)*
Dead Man Walking (1995)*
The Burmese Harp (1956)*
Chariots of Fire (1981)*
A Serious Man (2009)*
Ponette (1996)*
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)*
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)*
Magnolia (1999)*
Silent Light (2007)*
The Phantom Carriage (1921)*
Schindler's List (1993)*
The Ushpizin (2004)*
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)*
The Immigrant (2013)
Places in the Heart (1984)*

On 5/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, Anders said:

Anders are you still willing to do 2001?

On 5/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Darren H said:

Here are the films from my original 25 nominations that made the final cut. Asterisk beside the ones I've advocated for most strongly over the years. Two asterisks beside the ones I'd love to write about.

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)
Beau travail (1999) **
Close-Up (1990)
Frisco Jenny (1932) **
In a Lonely Place (1950) *
In Praise of Love (2001) *
My Night at Maud's (1969)
Night and Fog (1956)
Ordet (1955)
Still Life (2006) *
The Flowers of St. Francis (1950)
The Gleaners & I (2000)
The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
What Time Is It There? (2001) **

I didn't end up nominating Heartbeat Detector (I chose In Praise of Love for that slot instead), but I'd enjoy writing about it too.

Darren, I'd be happy if you are still willing to do Beau travail and What Time is it There?

On 5/23/2020 at 5:21 PM, Joshua Wilson said:

I'd be interested to write about any of the following that aren't taken by others:

The Music Room

Close-up

A Brighter Summer Day

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Best Years of Our Lives

But I defer to anyone else who wants to do one of these!

Joshua, I'll put you down for Best Years of Our Lives if that is Okay

On 5/25/2020 at 9:18 AM, WriterAndrew said:

I'd like to write about The Work and Magnolia if those are available.

Andrew--I'll go ahead and greenlight Magnolia if you are still willing. 

Has anyone claimed The Red Shoes? Even though it's not my nominee, that would be my next choice, unless someone else really wants to do it.

I'm also happy to update my Phantom Carriage blurb, if need be. After that, I'd be willing to do Amazing Grace unless someone else wanted it.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

28 minutes ago, Evan C said:

Has anyone claimed The Red Shoes? Even though it's not my nominee, that would be my next choice, unless someone else really wants to do it.

I'm also happy to update my Phantom Carriage blurb, if need be. After that, I'd be willing to do Amazing Grace unless someone else wanted it.

Nobody yet, so please feel free. I'd say take a look at the Phantom Carriage blurb...if it is okay as is, let me know and I can take it off the pending list.

Darren, I'd be happy if you are still willing to do Beau travail and What Time is it There?

I'd love to. Working from home while three kids run around me is starting to take its toll, so I'm struggling to find the energy and concentration I need for writing. But I'll give it my best shot.

Anders are you still willing to do 2001?

Yes, I’d love to if no one else wants to. But I’m just aware of the fact that with 6 blurbs it may take me a week or two to finish them all. 

Twitter.
Letterboxd.