Jump to content
kenmorefield

2020 Top 100 -- Discussion and Blurbs

Recommended Posts

41 minutes ago, Darren H said:

I'd love to. Working from home while three kids run around me is starting to take its toll, so I'm struggling to find the energy and concentration I need for writing. But I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks. The Beau travail has a blurb from 2010, so that's probably less of a rush, more of an open opportunity if/when you are ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Anders said:

Yes, I’d love to if no one else wants to. But I’m just aware of the fact that with 6 blurbs it may take me a week or two to finish them all. 

That is a lot. IIRC, were a couple of them ones with pre-existing blurbs? Feel free to prioritize for the film(s) that are most meaningful to you. A couple of people have messaged me and said, "You know, the blurb from 2010/11 looks okay, so maybe lets just keep that." I'm good eitehr way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just finished my Ikiru blurb.  Of the films lacking an asterisk, I don't have a particular expertise around any of them, but I'm certainly game to write about Won't You Be My Neighbor?  (And I'm pretty sure some of the lower films on the list without asterisks do have pre-existing blurbs, like Ushpizin and Silent Light.  I could be wrong, though.)


To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Just finished my Ikiru blurb.  Of the films lacking an asterisk, I don't have a particular expertise around any of them, but I'm certainly game to write about Won't You Be My Neighbor?  (And I'm pretty sure some of the lower films on the list without asterisks do have pre-existing blurbs, like Ushpizin and Silent Light.  I could be wrong, though.)

Thanks for doing that. 
It looks like there are only a handful of films without a previous blurb or assignment, so at this point, I would suggest anyone who wants one (or to rewrite one with an asterisk*) need only announce they are doing so here so that we don't double up accidentally.
 

The one exception is Blade Runner which I had been holding off on assigning and now seems to have slipped through the cracks, so if anyone wants to commit to doing that, let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

The one exception is Blade Runner which I had been holding off on assigning and now seems to have slipped through the cracks, so if anyone wants to commit to doing that, let me know.

Ken, I'll do a write-up on Blade Runner, after I finish my piece on In a Lonely Place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/4/2020 at 10:10 AM, Joel Mayward said:

I've now written blurbs for The Tree of Life, The Kid with a Bike, and Secrets & Lies. What else needs blurbing?

Thanks, Joel. 

I could have misplaced a message or two, but as of now, here is my blurb priorities. (Asterisk means there is a previous blurb that can stand if nobody cares to revise/update; bold means no current blurbs and not assigned, though a few might have had people express interest before being assigned other blurbs.):
Diary of a Country Priest (1951)*
The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)*
Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005)*
Monsieur Vincent (1947)*
To Sleep With Anger (1990)
The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)
The Man Who Planted Trees (1987)*
 Amazing Grace (2018)
 Dead Man Walking (1995)*
Nazarin (1959)
What Time is It There? (2001)
The House is Black (1963)*
Heartbeat Detector (2007)*
 A Moment of Innocence (1996)*
Close-Up (1990)*
Lourdes (2009)
Cameraperson (2016)

The Gleaners & I (2000)*
The Apostle (1997)*
 Munyurangabo (2007)*
 Tokyo Story (1953)*
The Burmese Harp (1956)*
Chariots of Fire (1981)*
 A Serious Man (2009)*
In Praise of Love (2001)*
Ponette (1996)*
Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)*
Fiddler on the Roof (1971)*
Silent Light (2007)*
Schindler's List (1993)*
The Ushpizin (2004)*
The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)*
The Immigrant (2013)*
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be helpful in tracking blurbs if those who have not finished blurbs yet but still intend to do so could check in and give me an ETA. Also, if you finish a blurb, please let me know here. 

A Brither Summer Day: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/film/405-a-brighter-summer-day/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not finished mine, but I expect to get to a few this week. Sorry for the delay.


"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just entered my Selma blurb into the site.

I hope to have my Grapes of Wrath and On the Waterfront blurbs up within the next 2 weeks.  Watching our kids has been a heavier job lately as my wife has been finishing an intensive online course.  :)  Thanks for your patience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just posted my appreciation of In a Lonely Place (I compared the film to some others and focused more on Ray's depiction of violence than I had expected, but I think the violence (and its consequences) is the real point of the film anyway).

By the way, Ken and everyone else: while writing, I noticed that the "preview" option isn't working correctly -- clicking on the preview button opens up a new page, but the main text box where you write your blurb shows up blank. Hitting the X in the upper-right corner of the text box brought me back to the main writing/edit page without losing anything, thankfully. Just a heads up if you write directly in the text box, instead of pasting everything from a word processor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael S said:

By the way, Ken and everyone else: while writing, I noticed that the "preview" option isn't working correctly -- clicking on the preview button opens up a new page, but the main text box where you write your blurb shows up blank. Hitting the X in the upper-right corner of the text box brought me back to the main writing/edit page without losing anything, thankfully. Just a heads up if you write directly in the text box, instead of pasting everything from a word processor.

I definitely recommend keeping a copy of your blurbs as online writing and revision can get deleted very easily,s sometimes by mistake. Once the blurbs are complete, I will change to permissions so that someone copying doesn't accidentally alter or delete a blurb, but in the meantime back up your work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2020 at 4:38 PM, kenmorefield said:

Also, if you finish a blurb, please let me know here.

I just saw your request, so you probably already know this by now, but I completed the entries for Grand Illusion and 7th Heaven about a week and a half ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Bertram said:

I just saw your request, so you probably already know this by now, but I completed the entries for Grand Illusion and 7th Heaven about a week and a half ago.

Thanks, Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Andrew!

It looks like the only films without a previous blurb that are as yet unclaimed are: Lourdes, The Tree of Wooden Clogs, and What Time is it There?

I could probably do Lourdes as some point, though I haven't seen What Time is it There? and am having trouble locating it. Not sure what I'd say about Tree of Wooden Clogs.

Also, if anyone wants to revisie or revisit a film with previous blurb, I'd be happy to have at least the Top 25 having new blurbs, which means Diary of a Country Priest, Sophie Scholl , and Monsieur Vincent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ken, and everyone, my apologies for not working on this yet. I was preparing to work on my first one (The Music Room) when I had to drop everything and head out of town to be with my daughter in the hospital. After a week, when she got out, my family took a very brief vacation together and have just returned home.

So I'm going to try to get reoriented and still indeed to get to the writing, but I've been derailed a bit by life events temporarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joshua Wilson said:

Ken, and everyone, my apologies for not working on this yet. I was preparing to work on my first one (The Music Room) when I had to drop everything and head out of town to be with my daughter in the hospital. After a week, when she got out, my family took a very brief vacation together and have just returned home.

So I'm going to try to get reoriented and still indeed to get to the writing, but I've been derailed a bit by life events temporarily.

Goodness, Joshua - I hope she's well now!


To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Thanks, Andrew!

It looks like the only films without a previous blurb that are as yet unclaimed are: Lourdes, The Tree of Wooden Clogs, and What Time is it There?

I could probably do Lourdes as some point, though I haven't seen What Time is it There? and am having trouble locating it. Not sure what I'd say about Tree of Wooden Clogs.

Also, if anyone wants to revisie or revisit a film with previous blurb, I'd be happy to have at least the Top 25 having new blurbs, which means Diary of a Country Priest, Sophie Scholl , and Monsieur Vincent. 

I could do Lourdes, unless someone else wants it.


"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...