2020 Top 100 -- Discussion and Blurbs

Slow to these, but I updated the 2001 A Space Odyssey blurb with my new one.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just published my review of Lourdes.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives is up.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

I have a First Reformed blurb up now. 

Are we adding old blurbs for past films to the pages where new blurbs are also being written? Or are those being archived with past lists?

And what else remains, Ken?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

1 hour ago, M. Leary said:

I have a First Reformed blurb up now. 

Are we adding old blurbs for past films to the pages where new blurbs are also being written? Or are those being archived with past lists?

And what else remains, Ken?

I was hoping for entirely new blurbs for Top 25. For other films, I was hoping to do those that had no blurb before those that had old blurbs. 

For those that had old blurbs, my general feeling is:

1) If the person who wrote the previous blurb is still around, he/she has option to revise *or* keep their old blurb.

2) If the person is around but doesn't want to revise blurb and someone else wants to write that blurb, the newer one will replace the older one.

3) If the person who wrote the old blurb is no longer present, anyone can request to write a new blurb and is okay to do so. 

Here is what is not assigned--an asterisk means there is an old blurb that can stand unless someone else wants to write a new blub:

• Diary of a Country Priest (1951)*
  • The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)*
  • Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)*
  • Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005)*
  • Monsieur Vincent (1947)*
  • The House is Black (1963)*
  • Heartbeat Detector (2007)*
  •  A Moment of Innocence (1996)*
  • Close-Up (1990)*
  • To Sleep With Anger (1990)
  • The Gleaners & I (2000)*
  • The Apostle (1997)*
  • The Tree of Wooden Clogs (1978)
  • Munyurangabo (2007)*
  • Tokyo Story (1953)*
  • Dead Man Walking (1995)*
  • The Burmese Harp (1956)*
  • The Mill and the Cross (2011)
  • Chariots of Fire (1981)*
  • A Serious Man (2009)*
  • In Praise of Love (2001)*
  • Ponette (1996)*
  • Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)*
  • Fiddler on the Roof (1971)*
  • Silent Light (2007)*
  • Schindler's List (1993)*
  • The Ushpizin (2004)*
  • The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)*
  • The Immigrant (2013)*
  • Places in the Heart (1984)*
  • Nazarin (1959)*
  • What Time is It There? (2001)

Right now, the only films I believe with no blurbs at all are Do the Right Thing, Tree of Wooden Clogs, and What Time is it There?  Also, there are a handful of films that people have claimed that I'm sure they would probably give up if someone else actively *wanted* them, so if there is a particular film you have in mind, let me know. I don't feel much like giving anyone a deadline unless there is someone else waiting. 

Kevin S. said he'd do Do the Right Thing, and I did want a Black voice to do that, but he's understandably had his attention elsewhere the last few weeks. I'd certainly allow someone else to do it if they felt ready to tackle it.

I'm happy with my write-up for Places in the Heart, so that's all right.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

I had this thought during the Zoom call...it might be interested to try a few video "introductions" to the films. In the app blurb list, there is a place that says "Video" and that can go to any YouTube video.We mostly use it for trailers, but some people really don't like trailers. Might be fun to do a 2 minute intro to the film or appreciation of it. I have a rarely used YouTube channel that can upload them, and that might even draw some traffic from a new source.  Any thoughts?

On 6/26/2020 at 8:16 AM, kenmorefield said:

I had this thought during the Zoom call...it might be interested to try a few video "introductions" to the films. In the app blurb list, there is a place that says "Video" and that can go to any YouTube video.We mostly use it for trailers, but some people really don't like trailers. Might be fun to do a 2 minute intro to the film or appreciation of it. I have a rarely used YouTube channel that can upload them, and that might even draw some traffic from a new source.  Any thoughts?

My feeling is that perhaps the "purest" option for these slots would be short, unedited clips from the films, unspoiled by trailer conventions. This clip from the beginning of Andrei Rublev is a good example.

Alternatively, an option that would require a little more work could be something similar to the Criterion Channel's "Three Reasons" edits. I've always found those understated and brilliant, the way they wet your appetite for the film.

On 5/23/2020 at 3:39 PM, kenmorefield said:

By the way, I was going to talk to a filmmaker friend of mine who is not part of the community, but if anyone here is interested, so much the better. I was wondering how hard it would be to create a 2-5 minute video along the line of a filmfestival trailer that has clips from various films on the list. I'd be willing to pay $$.We should have something like this for the Top 100. 

Something like:

or 

I have seen the near-finished trailer that one of our own created, and it is spectacular. Can't wait to share it with you all, you are going to love it.

2 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Kevin Sampson has given us a blurb for Do The Right Thing: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/film/374-do-the-right-thing/

May I suggest that this sentence "Wisely, he implores French New Wave (FNW) characteristics..." should read "he employs"?

That is so minor, though--I found the commentary very insightful.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

16 minutes ago, BethR said:

May I suggest that this sentence "Wisely, he implores French New Wave (FNW) characteristics..." should read "he employs"?

That is so minor, though--I found the commentary very insightful.

Thanks Beth, I'll fix it now. I've been thinking some all day about the idea of representation. I know Kevin, didn't know he dreamed of being a director when he was a kid. It's hard to imagine having so few role models in your dream vocation.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 8:20 AM, Joel Mayward said:

I have been neglectful in writing my blurbs due to a near-obsession with finishing an academic article I'm writing on Malick's A Hidden Life. Hopefully I can get those done this week.

My neglect persists. I'll see if I can make this happen ASAP.

I've been playing around with videos since Pandemic has moved instruction online, and I'm thinking about making some brief introductions to films on the list. No more than 5 minutes. If you have interest in doing something like this either with me or on your own, let me know.