Top 100 Trailer Montage -- 2020

I couldn't be more pleased with this effort. If you like it, please share on social media.

Also, I paid/am paying Jeremy for this, but he did it at a steep discount (according to one of my director friends not on this list who I asked about pricing), so I encourage anyone who has Paypal and likes it to "tip" the editor. 

I'm going to be running a contest in July to identify the clips, but for now just watch and enjoy: 

Okay, so I thought I'd have a little fun with this, so I am offering a contest. 

The trailer has 57 clips. to enter the context, identify as many of the clips as you can, in order. Hint: Some films appear more than once.

Sent me your entry via PM using your Arts & Faith account. Deadline is Sunday, July 12, at 11:59 p.m. EST. Winner gets a one month free subscription to Criterion channel.

If more than one person gets them all (or if there is a tie), I will draw winner at random from the entries. 

Good luck! (To win you must have an Arts & Faith account -- it's free -- so feel free to invite a friend.

Beautifully done, and some of the connections between films are unexpected and wonderful. Thanks for this.

I think I can identify the majority of the clips, but I expect there are members here who can get them all.

Rushmore won with like 35 or so...because he was the only entry! (If you know more, you should of entered, coulda won...) Here is the list from Jeremy:

0:00 - Babette’s Feast (1987)

0:04 - Three Colors: Blue (1993)

0:06 - Of Gods and Men (2010)

0:07 - Sunrise (1927)

0:09 - The Tree of Life (2011)

0:12 - 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

0:14 - L'Avventura (1960)

0:16 - Selma (2014)

0:18 - Make Way for Tomorrow (1937)

0:21 - Andrei Rublev (1966)

0:28 - The Night of the Hunter (1955)

0:29 - The Mill and the Cross (2011)

0:31 - First Reformed (2017)

0:33 - The Kid with a Bike (2011)

0:35 - Bicycle Thieves (1948)

0:37 - The Tree of Life (2011) (again)

0:39 - The Immigrant (2013)

0:41 - On the Waterfront (1954)

0:43 - Ordet (1955)

0:44 - The Gospel According to St. Matthew (1964)

0:45 - Silence (2016)

0:46 - The Seventh Seal (1957)

0:47 - Wings of Desire (1987)

0:49 - Amadeus (1984)

0:52 - The Red Shoes (1948)

0:56 - Babette's Feast (1987) (again)

0:59 - Stop Making Sense (1984)

1:00 - Amazing Grace (2018)

1:01 - Beau travail (1999)

1:02 - Won't You Be My Neighbor (2018)

1:03 - Close-Up (1990)

1:05 - The Miracle Maker (2000)

1:06 - Chariots of Fire (1981)

1:07 - Spirited Away (2001)

1:08 - The Man Who Planted Trees (1987)

1:10 - Silence (2016) (again)

1:11 - Magnolia (1999)

1:12 - Diary of a Country Priest (1951)

1:14 - Secret Sunshine (2007)

1:15 - Three Colors Blue (1993) (again)

1:17 - Lourdes (2009)

1:19 - It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

1:20 - Ikiru (1952)

1:21 - A Man for All Seasons (1966)

1:23 - Calvary (2014)

1:24 - This is Martin Bonner (2013)

1:25 - To Sleep With Anger (1990)

1:26 - Witness (1985)

1:27 - Do the Right Thing (1989)

1:28 - I Am Not Your Negro (2016)

1:30 - Selma (2014) (again)

1:31 - Munyurangabo (2007)

1:33 - Of Gods and Men (2010) (again)

1:34 - The Mission (1986)

1:35 - Schindler's List (1993)

1:37 - Sophie Scholl: The Final Days (2005)

1:38 - Silent Light (2007)

• 1 month later...

I love this video and was going to share it today, but I'm realizing that it's really difficult for people to find a formal presentation of the list itself.

The link given with the video is just artsandfaith.com. A newcomer arriving at the home page could have a hell of a time wandering around trying to find whatever we're considering the central publication of the list. 

Similarly, if I go to Ken's introduction to the list on The Porch, I can read that long essay and still not know where to click. 

So... forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but what link represents the public-facing announcement with the full list? Seems like it deserves a hub with the Intro and then the detailed rollout of titles and summaries.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

18 hours ago, Overstreet said:

I love this video and was going to share it today, but I'm realizing that it's really difficult for people to find a formal presentation of the list itself.

The link given with the video is just artsandfaith.com. A newcomer arriving at the home page could have a hell of a time wandering around trying to find whatever we're considering the central publication of the list. 

Similarly, if I go to Ken's introduction to the list on The Porch, I can read that long essay and still not know where to click. 

So... forgive me if I've missed something obvious, but what link represents the public-facing announcement with the full list? Seems like it deserves a hub with the Intro and then the detailed rollout of titles and summaries.

Yeah, when are you guys gonna put up the whole list for the public like you usually do? I've looked over the list on here and on Letterboxd, but I wanna share it.

(It's a beautiful video, by the way, terrifically well done.)

18 hours ago, Overstreet said:

First, thanks for sharing the video. I agree Jeremy did a terrific job, and it pleases me that this video is in the world regardless of whether it functions as an ad for A&F or a homage to the films or both. 

The link to the full list is: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/year/8-2020-top-100/

The link to the master page for all lists is: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/

There has been some discussion in the last year about how the list(s) are preserved and archived, most of it here: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/topic/31704-top-100-and-top-25-pages/

I also remember some chatter, more dispersed about whether or not it was worth having a separate landing page for the site in general. Most notably this came up when I asked for feedback about adding a separate "Reviews" forum for people who wanted to write reviews for A&F or repost reviews in full. There wasn't much interest. That's a longer discussion that involves whether this board could or should migrate from being only a discussion board to a sihe that has multiple purposes with the discussion board as one arm. But as long as we are relatively small, I don't anyone really having the time, vision, or money to do massive board design overhaul. It also would mean thousands of broken links as the board became a subdirectory rather than the landing page, and it would force those who only use the forum to click through the landing page to get to the forum and resave that direct link. That didn't strike me as a great tradeoff, though I not opposed to discussions or suggestions of how to implement it or other changes.

Yeah, when are you guys gonna put up the whole list for the public like you usually do? 

The entire list is available to the public at the link mentioned on top. I am not aware of any plans to present the list in full in some other way, though I am not opposed to other forms of publicity or writing about it. There are copies of the list on Letterboxd, Twitter, and YouTube, and the list itself is in a publicly viewable format on the site. 

A newcomer arriving at the home page could have a hell of a time wandering around trying to find whatever we're considering the central publication of the list. 

I'm not sure I agree with this assessment, but, again...I'm open to suggestions. The banner tabs are pretty standardly place and have contact forms for staff if people have questions. New users get an e-mail directing them to the "About You" Introductions form and the community, small as it is, is generally helpful (especially Spitznas) at welcoming new people and answering questions. Maybe my perspective is genuinely skewed because I've been using forum software for two decades, but I'm having a hard time imagining someone seeing the video on YouTube, going to Artsandfaith.com and not being able to find the content. (There's also a copy of the list and a direct link to the list page in the pinned comments under the YouTube video.)

Thanks, Ken. I saw the list at that link, but I had not previously realized that there are intros/short essays on each of the films posted when you click on them.  I guess my assumption was that it would be published on the Image website like the various other lists, rather than simply on the forum in discussion-board-site format. Is the partnership with Image no longer happening?

11 hours ago, StephenM said:

Thanks, Ken. I saw the list at that link, but I had not previously realized that there are intros/short essays on each of the films posted when you click on them.  I guess my assumption was that it would be published on the Image website like the various other lists, rather than simply on the forum in discussion-board-site format. Is the partnership with Image no longer happening?

The relationship with Image is friendly, but they no longer own the site. I offered them a write up for the 2020 list but they passed. It is conceivable that they may one day house more Arts & Faith content, but the impression I got when they sold the site is that they wanted to give the new editor and team time and space to develop their own vision for the magazine. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 4:32 PM, Overstreet said:

I love this video... 

This made my day! Thanks Jeffrey!

...and was going to share it today, but I'm realizing that it's really difficult for people to find a formal presentation of the list itself.

I also agree with this, to be honest. I got some positive response from friends and acquaintances when I shared it myself, but I quickly realized that there was also some general confusion from those who had no idea what exactly this list was and with seemingly no way to just check it out at a glance.

Ken, I'm not sure if you're currently working behind the scenes on some page updates, but at the moment of this posting I'm actually unable to find the lists on this website at all. Your links don't seem to be working (for me) as they should. 

18 hours ago, Jeremy Ratzlaff said:

Ken, I'm not sure if you're currently working behind the scenes on some page updates, but at the moment of this posting I'm actually unable to find the lists on this website at all. Your links don't seem to be working (for me) as they should. 

Some discussion of this in the Top 100 and Top 25 pages thread. The software upgrade disabled the app. They should be back now, here: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/

I feel like some of this discussion is circular...as far as the way the lists are posted (or archived) here, people want...something else. But I haven't really gotten any sense of what specifically they want as far the publication and promotion of the list. 

I'm certainly open to anyone who has suggestions for how/where the lists should be published. 

The thing I like about the app is:

1) Continuity of formatting.

2) Makes it easier to copy previous entries when there is a new list. 

Things people don't appear to like about it:

1) The entire list doesn't appear on one page.

2) Some may not realize that clicking on the film in the list brings up window with blurbs and what not?

If someone wanted to design a separate web page for lists that was all one format, I'd be happy to store them here as a subdomain, but that's a lot of work (as is transferring past lists into new format), and I don't have a magazine staff to do it.

4 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

Some discussion of this in the Top 100 and Top 25 pages thread. The software upgrade disabled the app. They should be back now, here: http://artsandfaith.com/index.php?/films/

Oh good - thanks, Ken. :) Just poor timing on my part.

As silly as it may sound, I think the main trouble is that there's currently one click too many. If you just click on List (suggesting singular), you're presented with the entirely randomized "Latest Films Added" list, (which on any given day might make it appear as though Lego Batman is an Arts & Faith top pick), and it takes several moments to realize that the list you're actually looking for can be clicked in the less eye catching column on the far right. 

Could this be addressed as easily as having the List button take you directly to the current Top 100 list? Obviously the rest of the lists should remain accessible as well, but I wonder if they can be relegated to an "other lists" button for the sake of not losing any potential newcomers who are likely here because they're just hoping to check out *the* list. 

A bolder idea would be to have artsandfaith.com immediately direct to a splash page that offers two big, visually intuitive options: Forum or List.

...but all that's easy for me to say. I haven't touched web design stuff in years, but I'd be curious to poke around a bit if you were to trust me with any kind of back end access, Ken. I'd primarily be looking for ways to just "finesse" the visual intuitiveness using what you've already installed.