DateFlix

Spoon

This is my idea. It's a combination of eharmony and netflix.

Netlfix sends you reccomendations based on movies you have rated. The more movies you've rated, the more accurate their reccomendation. Eharmony is an online dating service using 29 components of personalities to make a match.

What if there was a site, where, based on movies you've rated, matched you up with someone with similar interests.

Now, you might be thinking, just because two people like the same movies doesn't make them a great match. I disagree! I believe movies you love and movies you don't like at all says so much about who you are: your beliefs, your values, your personality, what makes you laugh, cry, think, mad, etc.

If someone rated enough movies, and then asked for specifics on a seperate page such as age, religion, etc, I can't think of a better matching system.

Who's with me? Lets start this thing.

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia

So let me get this straight, DateFlix is like NetFlix, but a dating service?

So, like, do they really send you up to three dates at a time to keep as long as you like with no late fees? And you can return them whenever you want for the next dates in your queue?

I wonder how a queue like that works. Also I bet the real hotties would be, like, "Extremely long wait" all the time. (Or maybe that's NumberDate, not DateFlix.)

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

I Kissed Dating Goodbye (when i got hitched)

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Somehow I've never been dating.

Got to know women as friends, particular friendships deepened, and then one in particular just kept on growing. We just enjoyed each others' company more and more. Sure, eventually we were going out and doing things just the two of us, but the word "dating" never entered into it. The idea of dating always seemed somehow artificial.

To ask somebody out on a date, someone I didn't know very well to begin with, felt presumptuous somehow. It felt like saying, "Can we just fast-forward? Can we skip all the getting to know you stuff and just plunge into something serious?" Or, to put it more frankly, it felt like saying, "I admit it. I hardly know you. But I want to have the holding-hands-and-kissing-thing with you as soon as possible. Feel the same way? If so, let's just bypass all that growing-in-relationship stuff and get to the GOOD STUFF."

Ironically, almost eight years into marriage, Anne and I continue to have a "date night" once a week, when we promise each other a departure from all the busy-ness of our home and our friends and head on out to do something fun together.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

To ask somebody out on a date, someone I didn't know very well to begin with, felt presumptuous somehow. It felt like saying, "Can we just fast-forward? Can we skip all the getting to know you stuff and just plunge into something serious?" Or, to put it more frankly, it felt like saying, "I admit it. I hardly know you. But I want to have the holding-hands-and-kissing-thing with you as soon as possible. Feel the same way? If so, let's just bypass all that growing-in-relationship stuff and get to the GOOD STUFF."

Hm. Then there's my approach. With Suzanne, I bypassed both the asking-out-on-a-date stuff as well as the growing-in-relationship stuff and just fast-forwarded right to the kissing thing. And lots of it.

In retrospect, of course, I realize that may not have been the most mature or prudent approach... though it did seem the obvious one at the time.

But hey, we just today celebrated our 13th anniversary. (And we both wrote exactly the same sweet note on each other's anniversary cards.) So in our case it worked out all right.

“I write because I don’t know what I think until I read what I say.” — Flannery O'Connor

Writing at the new Decent Films | Follow me on Twitter and Facebook

Hmmm, then there's me and D -- we were dating before we even knew each other. Ah, the joys of being "matched" with someone by a third party.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Contrary to some of the other opinions expressed here, I think dating's groovy. Get to know some people, fall in love, fall out of love, try out a screwed up relationship, repent, try other relationships, find a relationship that really works. I'm all for it.

In my experience, though, your dating service based on movies would never have gotten my wife and I together, or predicted a happy outcome when we did. There is a very tiny number of movies we both like - and those, mostly because I'm able to find something to like in most movies. But the immense majority of films I'm really interested in, Carole has no interest in whatsoever.

Fact is, though, our cinematic compatability is completely uncorrelated with our marital compatability. 23 years now, and I don't know anybody with a stronger, healthier, more natural marriage. The marriage is no more perfect than I (for example) am, but quite simply, it works. Made in heaven, it seems to me, even if it has to be lived out here on earth. (Though not often in front of the movie screen.)

Edited by Ron

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd