Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Nakom

I thought this was an accomplished film. In some ways, it was the film experience I was hoping for from Young Ahmed in that it allowed me to understand and empathize with characters even if/when I didn't always agree with their choices. 

http://1morefilmblog.com/2020/07/24/nakom-norris-pittman-2016/

Nakom is understated but implacable at illustrating the impossibility of negotiating any middle ground between independence and enmeshment. When Iddrisu visits Napoleon, his uncle to whom the family owes debts, the hardened relative starts to beat his granddaughter. The young man can abandon those unable to care for themselves or he can put his own life and labor on the line to try to save them. There are no half measures. He can continue to try to extricate and distance himself from his home situation…if his conscience will allow him to do so, but he appears unlikely to make things right before he leaves. He senses, as do we, that each day that passes makes him less likely to leave at all, that a dream deferred will almost inevitably become a dream abandoned.