TWIN PEAKS

Ron Reed

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically this is the only thread on Twin Peaks that comes out now.

http://www.contactmu...omeback_1106691

That story's 3 years old. Did anything ever happen from it?

Wow! Did not even notice that at all!

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

Ironically this is the only thread on Twin Peaks that comes out now.

http://www.contactmu...omeback_1106691

That story's 3 years old. Did anything ever happen from it?

Wow! Did not even notice that at all!

Time doesn't work the same way in the Black Lodge, anyway.

Huh. Just rewatched the first season and have been corresponding about it with someone. How timely. Here is an email I just sent said conversation partner:

The second season is a wash. No doubt about that. What I like about FWWM now more than I ever did previously is the nostalgia it evokes for the original season. Yes, it wraps everything up in a neat little bow - garmanbozia, etc... I totally agree that the murderer reveal dissolved the gravity of the show, but the sense of trauma in FWWM gives the whole TP project an aura of purpose. These things happen in our families (to lesser or greater degrees) that fracture our self-identities. Lynch really understands that the nuclear unit, the domestic environment, is the incubator of the self - for better or worse. As a parent, this resounds in how I relate to my children. I am significantly responsible for their psychic development, and FWWM is really an expressionist glimpse of the nightmare that accrues when this whole relational process goes haywire.

So... I think Twin Peaks is a show really about family and community and these networks that make us who we are. It makes me immensely grateful that my family is the body of Christ, not some social construct based on guesswork.

cleardot.gif

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

The second season is a wash. No doubt about that. What I like about FWWM now more than I ever did previously is the nostalgia it evokes for the original season. Yes, it wraps everything up in a neat little bow - garmanbozia, etc... I totally agree that the murderer reveal dissolved the gravity of the show, but the sense of trauma in FWWM gives the whole TP project an aura of purpose. These things happen in our families (to lesser or greater degrees) that fracture our self-identities. Lynch really understands that the nuclear unit, the domestic environment, is the incubator of the self - for better or worse. As a parent, this resounds in how I relate to my children. I am significantly responsible for their psychic development, and FWWM is really an expressionist glimpse of the nightmare that accrues when this whole relational process goes haywire.

So... I think Twin Peaks is a show really about family and community and these networks that make us who we are. It makes me immensely grateful that my family is the body of Christ, not some social construct based on guesswork.

cleardot.gif

This is a devastating interpretation. And, I believe true. With television becoming a much more robust medium over the last decade, I find I wish artists such as Lynch would do more in it.

Also, I am compelled to cue up Twin Peaks on Netflix to give it another viewing. And to examine my own familial relationships.

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." -- J.R.R. Tolkien
"I want to believe in art-induced epiphanies." -- Josie
"I would never be dismissive of pop entertainment; it's much too serious a matter for that." -- NBooth

"If apologetics could prove God, I would lose all faith in Him." -- Josie

"What if--just what if--the very act of storytelling is itself redemptive? What if gathering up the scraps and fragments of a disordered life and binding them between the pages of a book in all of their fragmentary disorder is itself a gambit against that disorder?" -- NBooth

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a link to the other Twin Peaks thread where there were some recent comments, which are relevant to FWWM.

The Philip Jeffries deleted scene makes a lot of sense.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

• 2 months later...

Not to mention Netflix. (No ads!)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

A third season?

In a new issue of Sci-Fi Now magazine, Mark Frost, the co-creator, with David Lynch, of Twin Peaks, says that the return of the show, canceled after just two seasons, is “something we talk about from time to time… If we ever do decide to move forward,” he adds, “I know we have a rich trove to draw from.”

I know I want to visit the creamed corn planet.

Edited by Tyler

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

This month at To Be (Cont'd), we've got Joel Bocko and Tony Dayoub doing a conversation on both Twin Peaks and Fire Walk with Me. Here's part one.

I'm very keen to see how this develops. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me is one of Lynch's most undervalued films (and it may be his best). Edited by Ryan H.

Twin Peaks is pretty much the scariest thing I've ever watched. I'm not sure why. I've seen most of the 'classic' horror movies, but there's something about Lynch's portrayal of evil (in most of his work) which just seems more deeply evil than any other kind. If Lynch told me he had met the devil I would probably believe him...

Twin Peaks is pretty much the scariest thing I've ever watched. I'm not sure why. I've seen most of the 'classic' horror movies, but there's something about Lynch's portrayal of evil (in most of his work) which just seems more deeply evil than any other kind. If Lynch told me he had met the devil I would probably believe him...

Truth! In fact, I talked up how "fun" Twin Peaks was to my wife based on my memories of watching it on ABC back in the day. But when she actually sat down to watch it with me on Netflix a couple years ago, well, she was seriously traumatized. We both were. It is deeply disturbing in places.

Edited by morgan1098

I've really enjoyed all the recent writing on this. Twin Peaks is most likely my favorite TV show of all time, from the pilot to Fire Walk With Me, and it's fun to revisit like this. I may need to go on a marathon very soon. (It has been a few years now.)

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

The Blu-Ray set.

If Leland Palmer were still around, he’d be dancing like a crazy person right now. There’s a new Twin Peaks box set coming out July 29, and it includes nearly 90 minutes of never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes from the prequel film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

This is the footage that fans created a Facebook petition for back in 2011, and now they’ll get their wish, thanks to a box set that was personally supervised by Twin Peaks mastermind David Lynch.

There's also a video at the link.

Edited by NBooth

That's a must-have, for sure.

As someone who was too stingy to buy the Gold Box set, clinging to the second-hand season sets and the second-hand copy of FWWM--I'm totally going to get this.

EDIT: Aaand it's up for pre-order on Amazon. $95. Worth it.

Edited by NBooth