TWIN PEAKS

Ron Reed

I don't know anything about Megan Abbott, but this is pretty interesting. It also references the "I'll see you in 25 years" quote.

http://www.vulture.com/2014/10/twin-peaks-megan-abbott-essay.html?mid=twitter_vulture

Tonally, while noir may seem forever cool as it’s reinterpreted by David Fincher and Steven Soderbergh, melodrama has had a harder time of late, frequently derided, or misread as camp. But many moments on Twin Peaks that have been dismissed as “goofiness” owe a far greater debt to David Lynch and Mark Frost’s love of melodrama. I’m thinking here of the wild sobbing of Sarah and Leland Palmer, Laura’s parents. As with so much of classic melodrama, when you watch it now, in our post-ironic, still-ironic age, you may find yourself laughing. Uncomfortably. All that feeling, laid so bare.  

Often, multiple tones mix deliriously in the same scene, such as Laura’s funeral. When Leland throws himself on his daughter’s casket, we have high melodrama. Yet when the hydraulics fail and the casket begins to move up and down with Leland’s body still gripping it, we turn to black comedy. And when one watches the series a second time, knowing what happened to Laura, a third, far more deeply upsetting nuance emerges. 

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadline interviewed Mark Frost about the show. There aren't a lot of concrete details yet, but he did explain how they ended up at Showtime:

(President) David Nevins was a big fan of the show, we had a great meeting with them, and David Lynch loved the artwork that David Nevins had in his office, that seemed to get him excited. We feel it’s the perfect home for the show now, and we’re very happy to be there.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

a tome which revels what Special Agent Dale Cooper, Audrey, The Log Lady, the small dancing man and the entire Twin Peaks gang have been up to since we last left them in 1992.

Mmmm. I love a reveling tome.

• 1 month later...

I'm cautiously optimistic of the new season. Want it to be good, but for some reason I'm worried that it'll try to wrap up too nicely. I mean this is Lynch we're talking about, so I'm not sure why I'm concerned. I'm also hoping that it tries to stand more as its own story instead of just wrapping up everything from the end of season 2. 

• 1 month later...

Tyler wrote:
: Should we merge the TWIN PEAKS (film) thread with this one?

If that other thread is about the TV series, and not Fire Walk with Me (or even the theatrical version of the series' pilot episode), then yes.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I watched a clip assemblange yesterday from this show -- over at Indiewire, I think, although I can't remember at the moment -- of the many (if not all) times the lead character talks about coffee and pie. I was struck by how far away the show is to me now. I mean, sure, it has been a couple of decades since the show aired, and I don't think I've watched more than a clip here or there since then. But the whole tone of the clip package seemed just a little ... off. Maybe it's because the show's tone is so closely associated with the show's music, which wasn't a main feature of the clip package.

Do we know if Angelo Badalamenti is returning to work on the new Twin Peaks? Sorry if this has already been discussed.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

It's mentioned over in the "Lynch Likes TM" thread. Doesn't necessarily merit a thread, but the concert movie is pretty good. Sometimes it's very good. The music (if you like that sort of thing) carries it even when it seems like Lynch is contenting himself with layering random pictures over the performances.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lynch's Facebook page just posted this:

Dear Facebook Friends, Showtime did not pull the plug on Twin Peaks. After 1 year and 4 months of negotiations, I left because not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done. This weekend I started to call actors to let them know I would not be directing. Twin Peaks may still be very much alive at Showtime. I love the world of Twin Peaks and wish things could have worked out differently.
Edited by NBooth

• 1 month later...

From a 1991 episode of Sesame Street:

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Production date set. Also, there's this:

[Lynch] and Frost actually wrote one long script. Lynch will shoot the series continuously as a movie, and later cut it into episodes. Originally envisioned as being 9 episodes, the series will likely run longer but the exact number of episodes is still in flux and won’t be known until after filming is completed, Nevins said.
Edited by NBooth