TWIN PEAKS

Ron Reed

Catherine E. Coulson, who played the Log Lady, has died. She was scheduled to appear in the new episodes, but they're not sure if any of her scenes were shot.

Coulson was also the assistant director on Eraserhead and was a camera operator on several films.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not related to the new series, but it seems more appropriate here than in the music thread. If you're interested in nearly 10 hours' worth of archival music from the original Twin Peaks series, David Lynch can hook you up for less than $10.

http://www.spinshop.com/store/davidlynch/3624?aId=3624&cId=10117056&highlightColor=%23c9c9c9&offer_name=welcometotwinpeaks&theme=black&wId=67903

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Tyler said:

The Twin Peaks FB page posted a list of new and returning actors (David Duchovny!) who will apparently be on the show. The newcomers include Michael Cera, Monica Bellucci, and Laura Dern. 

The little person that I like is not coming back.

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

• 3 weeks later...

Dallas Morning News

[Harry] Goaz says David Bowie, who had a small role in the 1992 film spinoff Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, was set to return to make a cameo, but it didn’t happen before the musician’s death this year.

Goaz plays Deputy Andy Brennan.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

• 3 months later...

As part of my sudden David Lynchaton, I just re-watched Fire Walk With Me. It's easily my second favorite Lynch. The opening credits, unfolding over static and ending with a smashed television set, should have warned viewers what was coming: a total deconstruction of the stuff that "everyone" liked about the show--instead of cozy small-town goings-on we have unfriendly local police and nasty locals. Instead of a quirky murder mystery we have the real horror of Laura Palmer's final days. It's like Lynch decided to take the opportunity to remind viewers that the core mystery of the show had originally been the horrific victimization of a young girl by her father. Laura Palmer, obviously, is in a tradition stretching back to Cassandra Tower in Kings Row (book, not movie), by way of Selena Cross from Peyton Place. The latter is particularly telling, since Selena was written out of the soap based on the Metalious novel (she's in the movie, but the show has more overt influence on Twin Peaks). 

The difference is that Cassandra doesn't get her own narrative. Although she acts exactly like a girl who had been victimized from childhood typically does act (at least, by my understanding), her tragedy is a smaller one in the life of Parris Mitchell--and her father is cast as a kind of Romantic Rebel, particularly in the sequel Parris Mitchell of Kings Row--whose overwhelming hubris led him to his Ultimate Transgression. Leland Palmer isn't so romanticized. Though one could argue that the "Bob" persona absolves Leland of guilt, the line about him thinking that Laura always knew it was him seems to cut against that interpretation. Leland isn't possessed in any meaningful way, nor is he some sort of Satanic Genius whose overweening pride leads him to break the laws of God and man. He's a pitiful and pitiable wretch, to be sure--but the focus is absolutely on Laura and the horror she experiences, rather than on her father. That move is a definitive break from Kings Row and, arguably, from Peyton Place (although it could also be argued that Selena is a "stronger" character because she kills her stepfather and buries him in the sheep pen).

Having just finished watching Twin Peaks for the first time - I'll watch Fire Walk With Me within the next week - there is a line in the final episode when... (does anyone care about spoilers at this point?)

SPOILERS

...Laura says to Coop in the black lodge, "I'll see you in 25 years." And 2017 is 25 years after 1992, so I would guess the show will be picking up where it left off.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

[NSFW]

My Lynchathon concluded tonight with Inland Empire (and gosh, that was exhausting) but if it did anything it confirmed to me that Fire Walk With Me is an absolute classic--my second favorite Lynch movie--for the way it totally smashes the twee nostalgia that was baked into the Twin Peaks phenomenon. I'm really not sure where Lynch can go with the series now, though I'll bet it'll be something (here's hoping it's closer to FWWM or Mulholland Drive than Inland Empire). FWWM opens with static and a smashed TV set, which is a pretty blatant clue that Lynch is going to steadily destroy Twin Peaks. And destroy it he does--by showing that all this "eccentric" stuff was based on the horrific [repeated] rape and ultimate murder of a teenage girl. Laura Palmer's tragedy is hard to watch at times, but it's totally real and impossible to turn away from.

My scholarly work deals with depictions of small towns, so I found FWWM particularly interesting in that regard. Laura Palmer is a direct descendant of Cassandra Tower in Kings Row (the book; the movie, less so) by way of Peyton Place's Selena Cross. Like Cassandra--and unlike Selena--Laura is ultimately destroyed by her incestuous father. This line of victimized women is, from one angle, utterly horrifying in the way that victimization is "normalized" as part of the small town aesthetic; on the other hand, if we take seriously the idea that small towns offer pictures or models of America itself, the continuity is telling: Henry Bellamann, Grace Metalious, and David Lynch all seem to agree that victimization is the basis of the small town and therefore of America itself. Of course, this isn't the first time Lynch suggested as much--it's the whole point of Blue Velvet--but I can only imagine how it felt for audiences to get that note sounded on Twin Peaks.

Edited by NBooth

• 1 month later...

I'm reading The Secret History of Twin Peaks right now. It calls itself a novel, but of course it's not that simple--the book is presented as a dossier compiled by an anonymous Archivist, collecting newspaper clippings, letters, etc. And it's a deep dive--the first 25 pages deal with the Corps of Discovery and the suicide (or was it?) of Meriwether Lewis. In short--this book is a deep dive into a half-real, half-fantasy occult history of America, and it ties the world of Twin Peaks more deeply to that mythology than the show ever really did. 

It is, in short, exactly my slice of cherry pie.

13 hours ago, NBooth said:

I'm reading The Secret History of Twin Peaks right now. It calls itself a novel, but of course it's not that simple--the book is presented as a dossier compiled by an anonymous Archivist, collecting newspaper clippings, letters, etc. And it's a deep dive--the first 25 pages deal with the Corps of Discovery and the suicide (or was it?) of Meriwether Lewis. In short--this book is a deep dive into a half-real, half-fantasy occult history of America, and it ties the world of Twin Peaks more deeply to that mythology than the show ever really did. 

It is, in short, exactly my slice of cherry pie.

Does it need to be read with a damn fine cup of coffee?

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Entertainment Weekly has details. Not many, but there's a glimpse at the photoshoot for the print issue and a taste of what will be in it. Here's EW's 40-minute reunion special.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:40 PM, Tyler Beane Kelly said:

Under 3 months until Twin Peaks much-anticipated return! Are you folks planning on subscribing to a Showtime streaming service to watch?

I'm gonna get them on Amazon, even if it means subscribing to Showtime. I'm that excited.

Edited by NBooth

• 1 month later...

Genuinely curious (and genuinely lazy) - does anyone know if some of the major actors from the original series who are not set to reprise their roles have commented on the revival? I'm thinking of folks like Richard Beymer (79!), Michael Ontkean, Michael J. Anderson (though I see now Anderson apparently made some serious accusations against David Lynch?), etc...

Edited by winter shaker

He finds no mercy

And he's lost in the crowd

With an armoured heart of metal

He finds he's running out of odd-numbered daisies

From which to pull the petals

Woah. I hadn't seen those Anderson accusations, but they sound like sour grapes to me. Jennifer denied them, for whatever it's worth (which, in cases like this, is a variable). [To be clear, the idea that a figure as universally beloved as Lynch could be a rapist is not, unfortunately, unimaginable; the idea that he could be verbally abusive, ditto--even though both go against everything anyone's ever said about Lynch as a person. The idea that he was both of those things and managed the murder of Jack Nance? Stretches the imagination somewhat.]

Didn't Ontkean retire? He's too busy in Hawaii to bother with Twin Peaks.

Afaik, Laurie simply wasn't asked back. She commented that she was surprised by that fact. Neither was Chen asked back, but I think Frost has said that was because they couldn't figure out how to get her out of the drawer-pull (and, honestly, Chen never got good material anyway). [Oh, here's EW on both of them]

Edited by NBooth

Those accusations were made by Michael J. Anderson on a big ol' Facebook post. This is the only time anyone has ever made such a suggestion about Lynch, and his daughter commented on social media to that effect. 

But I also don't see Creamed Corn in the casting for this season, so I imagine Lynch has a different vision now for the evil obverse of our reality.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

2 hours ago, M. Leary said:

But I also don't see Creamed Corn in the casting for this season, so I imagine Lynch has a different vision now for the evil obverse of our reality.

You know who is in the cast, though? Christophe Zajac-Denek. Granted, he could be doing literally anything in the show, but I've certainly seen people speculating that The Man From Another Place is going to be the man with another face (which matches up with a stray line in the finale of season 2 [I think? Or from FWWM]

1 hour ago, NBooth said:

but I've certainly seen people speculating 

Can only imagine how active Twin Peaks forums are right now.

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter