Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How many Top100s do you have left to see?

46 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm up to 52 now, having recently watched

Seventh Seal

Breaking the Waves

Crimes & Misdemeanours

Unforgiven

Stallker

That said I haven't necessarily watched these five because of the list. Seventh seal I won on ebay ages ago having wanted to watch it for ages, but it took me a while to get round to it. Unforgiven & Stalker were birthday presents, bought by my insightful wife and her best friend. They didn't know that they were on the list really, but it certainly made them doubly appealing (again Unforgiven is a long time "want to see that" film, and I'm up for all Tarkovsky after seeing Solaris).

But I definitely did get Breaking the Waves & Crimes & Misdemeanours as a result of the list, although I got them before it was officially published.

By the way how have people approached working their way through the films they haven't seen? My approach has been fiarly simple. I started with the first 32 or whatever that made it through the first round and tried top see which of those I could pick up, plus tried to get hold of any others that were borrowable or easy to get hold of (e.g. I've borrowed a copy of Andrei Rublev to watch). Now I'm not sure what to do next.

Finally, were their any film that people were drawn to see because they weren't on the list? I just watched Joseph because Chattaway and I discussed whether to include it for our biblical jury. In the end we decided not to (partly cos I'd not seen it), but I came away feeling I really should before next year. Can anyone else relate to this? I know Ron said that he'd been awakened to the spirituality of Field of Dreams through other's comments about it here. (and yes I'm still sore about that not gettig on the list)

Matt

Posted · Report post

64. And Flickerings will help boost that a bit. This is going to be a great, great year.

-s.

Posted · Report post

Darn! I've seen 89 -- one more and I would have moved up a bracket.

It occurs to me that, while I have not seen any of the Top 100 films SINCE the list was created, I did see On the Waterfront for the very first time just a few weeks ago, when it came to a local second-run theatre, and I remember thinking I wanted to see that film because it had been discussed somewhere on this board -- possibly in connection with the voting process for this list, maybe?

Posted · Report post

My score: 68.733 (I've seen one of the THREE COLOURS films, and four of the DEKALOG).

During the discussion process, I watched THE ADDICTION and STEVIE, and rewatched 13 CONVERSATIONS (massively increasing my appreciation of the film). Since that time i've seen HELL HOUSE and CLOSE-UP. Every one of them extremely worthwhile. (I also watched some of the nominees that didn't make the final cut, such as DREAMLIFE OF ANGELS, which was also fab).

I've also added to my viewing shelf CODE UNKNOWN (got a PV video for a few bucks!) and DIARY OF A COUNTRY PRIEST (thanks for the loan, Doug!), and have A MAN ESCAPED coming my way.

Posted · Report post

I have seen 88 of them. I did snag Last Days of Disco a while ago and was completely underwhelmed. My jaw actually dropped in the last few moments when all the characters actually stand in a circle and explain the whole movie to the audience in utterly sophmoric tones and lament the passing of their age with zero subtlety.

Posted · Report post

FWIW, just for the record, these are the eleven films on the list I have not yet seen (though I did rent two of them on separate occasions, but I never got around to seeing them before I had to return them):

The Addiction, 1995, Abel Ferrara

Bad ma ra khahad bord ("The Wind Will Carry Us"), 1999, Abbas Kiarostami

Dogville, 2003, Lars von Trier

Jean de Florette, Manon des sources, 1986, Claude Berri

Ma nuit chez Maud ("My Night At Maud's"), 1969, Eric Rohmer

A Man For All Seasons, 1966, Fred Zinnemann

Nema-ye Nazdik ("Close-Up"), 1990, Abbas Kiarostami

Offret - Sacrificatio ("The Sacrifice"), 1986, Andrei Tarkovsky

La Promesse, 1996, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne

Smultronst

Posted · Report post

Wow. I've got 19 spiritually significant films to look forward to.

-Bad ma ra khahad bord ("The Wind Will Carry Us"), 1999, Abbas Kiarostami

-Dersu Uzala, 1975, Akira Kurosawa

-La Dolce vita, 1960, Federico Fellini

-The Elephant Man, 1980, David Lynch

-Ladri di biciclette ("The Bicycle Thief"), 1948, Vittorio De Sica

-Ma nuit chez Maud ("My Night At Maud's"), 1969, Eric Rohmer

-The Miracle Maker, 2000, Derek W. Hayes & Stanislav Sokolov

-Nema-ye Nazdik ("Close-Up"), 1990, Abbas Kiarostami

-The Night Of The Hunter, 1955, Charles Laughton

-Offret - Sacrificatio ("The Sacrifice"), 1986, Andrei Tarkovsky

-Peter and Paul, 1981, Robert Day

-La Promesse, 1996, Jean-Pierre & Luc Dardenne

-Roma, citt

Posted · Report post

FWIW, just for the record, these are the eleven films on the list I have not yet seen...

I hereby declare Vancouver the Most Spiritually Signficant Film-Watching City In The World. Between Peter and I, there are only four titles on the list which remain unseen; THE WIND WILL CARRY US, MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S, LA PROMESSE and WILD STRAWBERRIES. If Chatters will volunteer to sit through that dreary Scandanavian thing, I'll cover the other three and we'll be perfect!!

Smugly yours,

Ron

Posted · Report post

I've seen 42. It's strange to see films like Dekalog, Ikiru, Solaris, and Yi yi against The Sixth Sense, Signs, and The Passion of the Christ.

I'll definitely have to see anything by Dreyer I can get my hands on, The Son, Breaking the Waves (if I can ever bring myself to it), and Songs From the Second Floor. I'm also very interested in Hell House...

Posted · Report post

Overstreet - never seen The Elephant Man?!?!? Wow! Its one of my favs.

Sundered. I think you'll appreciate Hell House coming from the background you describe in the introductions thread. It's people like this that make atheists out of agnostics.

Posted · Report post

Neither PTC nor Ron have seen Wild Strawberries - that's in our blockbuster (an amazing rarity - they don't even have Seven Samurai {"Do you mean Last Samurai?" cussing.gif } That motivation enough for me to get it and watch it!

: My score: 68.733 (I've seen one of the THREE COLOURS films, and four of the DEKALOG).

Ron, I confess I lied. I have in fact only seen 51.8 films as I have two dekalogs to go.

Is anyone going to try and beat Peter to be the first 90%er?

Matt

PS Was glad someone(Alan) put the poll on this as I'd been thinking of starting a new thread and doing it there. Much tidier this way - thanks

Posted · Report post

Man, maybe I'm blind afterall. I counted 49 and so voted, but picked up two more just reading through the thread. Will be trying some more Bresson and Dekalog later this summer.

Posted · Report post

Ron wrote:

: Between Peter and I, there are only four titles on the list which remain unseen;

: THE WIND WILL CARRY US, MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S, LA PROMESSE and WILD

: STRAWBERRIES. If Chatters will volunteer to sit through that dreary

: Scandanavian thing . . .

Well, I caught The Wind Will Carry Us at Flickerings last weekend, so the dreary Scandinavian thing is all yours, Ron!

MattPage wrote:

: Is anyone going to try and beat Peter to be the first 90%er?

Too late, y'all!

Posted · Report post

I won't mention the number of films I've seen, for fear of being laughed off the forums. unsure.gif

Suffice to say, I've got my work cut out for me.

Posted · Report post

*gasp* I'm only up to 71 now, and that's after Flickerings. Boy do I have a lot of catching up to do!

Oh, highly respectable, I would say! That's a lot of films.

Posted · Report post

I think you can get Peter and Paul new for cheaper at Tim Wilson's Crown Video IIRC

Matt

Posted (edited) · Report post

I still need to see....

The Addiction

Amadeus

Days of Heaven

Dersu Uzala

Dogma (this one I might not see, unless Matt Page comes over and watches it with me)

Dogville

La Dolce Vita

Fearless

Not of This World

Jean de Florette and Manon

A Man for All Seasons

The Man Without a Past

Miracle Maker

Close-Up

Peter and Paul

Ponette

La Promesse

Open City

Sansho the Bailiff

Stevie

Songs From the Second Floor

13 Conversations About One Thing

Vanya on 42nd Street

Werck.

The Year of Living Dangerously

My goal is to see them all by October 1.

Edited by Russell Lucas

Posted · Report post

Yeah,

How come you're skipping just that one amongst the Top 100? I mean its judging it a bit before you've actually seen it. And why should you single out that one film that you haven't seen above the others that you haven't seen, especially given that it was all the same people who voted on the list?

Really sorry if that comes across as ranty - its really not meant to be, but I'm really too pushed for time to phrase it better! embarassed.gif

Matt

Posted · Report post

Sixty-One. I've missed all of Ferrara though I've seen the Kiarostamis, (there was a retrospective at a film festival here a few years ago.) And I'm short Passion of the Christ and Eternal Sunshine because I live many miles from a cinema and will probably have to wait for them to come out on video. Did someone mention Dream Life of Angels? What a great movie that is.

Posted · Report post

Wait-- I had some posts in this thread concerning Dogma and whether I should skip it. They disappeared.

Posted · Report post

Wow... I've only seen 44 of these films. I got a lot of work to do...

Posted · Report post

With my recent viewing of Tarkovsky

Posted · Report post

tantrum.gif

You beat me to it!  AUGH!  I think you beat EVERYONE to it--WHERE did you find Balthasar?! Werckmeister?! Dallas must have awesome cinemas or video stores!

Oh, well. Tell you what. Just to show there are no hard feelings: PM me your mailing address and size, and I'll send you an A&F t-shirt! Congratulations!

On a more thoughtful angle, I very much appreciate your thoughts above. Personally, I agree with your criticism about newer films. In fact, I'm in almost perfect agreement with your lists above. Over time, I am hoping that the list evolves to be more balanced across the decades.

Picnic at Hanging Rock? Another Weir? Possibly--make sure to visit the nominating thread to make sure it gets on the list for consideration.

Thanks, Alan! I should add to my comment on Picnic. I was at that moment actually thinking about how I would rather see it there than another Weir, in place of something like the Truman Show. Not that I don't appreciate Truman, I just find Picnic to be superior in many ways.

Balthazar I watched on VHS that I think had been converted from a European release. And Werckmeister was the region 2 disc that is available. Both were from my video store.

Posted · Report post

I have 37 left to see of the 2004 Top 100, most being Tarkovsky.

Posted · Report post

I just double checked today and realized that having finally caught Werckmeister Harmonies a few weeks ago I have seen 99 of these. I saw the beginning of Grand Canyon once, but it lost my interest for some reason. Therefore it doesn't count as a viewing.