I’m Thinking of Ending Things

I didn’t see a dedicated thread on this one. Feel free to correct me if there is one. 

I admittedly don’t see as many movies as I once did when I frequented these boards more often. Some of that is due to other interests — there are some absolutely astounding graphic novels and old comic mini-series I’ve fallen in love with — and some of it is my own deal: just general boredom with movies, and probably a 2020 social issue with anything that I can’t scroll on holding my interest. 

ARGs in YouTube have been an exception to this, as the interactive nature of them has been so much fun to dig into. 

But this is the second film this year that I’ve seen that I know I’ll want to see again. (The first being the new Tarantino, which I loved.)

I know that films like this have been made before. I’m thinking of Last Night at Marienbad or Mulholland Drive, but the film I am most reminded of in comparison here is La Moustache, due to its playfulness in the “lost narrative” situation. 

Then again, you could just compare it to older Kaufman films. But I feel like I like this one is better.

There are scenes so strange, so, as I like to call it “surreal,” and I’ve said it here before but I’ll say it here again: I love it when film shows the power of film. Like impressionists that said, “A painting doesn’t have to look like a photograph,” or Romanticists that said, “Let’s break all the rules.” Outside of well-made horror, movies and films that still inspire me are the ones that press the limits, both in how they capture their story, as well as how we (I) receive it.

I do not think at all that another viewing will get me any closer to an understanding of the movie regarding its structure, its narrative, maybe even what it has to say. But I like the idea of sitting with this one first, with the idea of seeing it again later, just to get a feel for its “weird.” Now that I know what I’ve gotten myself into, when I sit down later I’ll get to to experience this nutty thing on its own terms.

Yeah. I’m gonna give this one another go. Already looking forward to it actually. 

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Hi Stef,

Might be worth reaching out to Evan to put you on the e-mail invitation list for when we do Zoom chats. (Usually once a month or so.) 

I will do that. Thanks!

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.