Martin Eden (2019)

kenmorefield

A muted recommendation for Martin Eden, the French adaptation of Jack London's novel. I actually thought something gets lost in translation, but it is refreshing to see a movie that is unapologetically left-leaning as to capitalism. 

My review: http://1morefilmblog.com/2020/10/16/martin-eden-marcello-2019/

• 4 months later...

I watched this back in December and liked it a fair bit. I haven't read Jack London's novel so I can only comment on the film. It's fairly didactic in its narrative structure, but I didn't mind, since it fits the examinations of class quite well. I also think the movie does a great job of showing how art and politics react against and inform each other, with each new phase of Martin's career being driven by some reaction against his previous class or education level. More films could do to borrow from its approach to exploring how the personal informs the political, and vice versa.

In your review, you mention Marcello updating the setting to modern-day Naples, but I thought the film actually refuses any temporal context and is unclear about whether it's early 20th-century or late-20th century. It's rife with anachronisms and is nebulous as to when it actually takes place, similar to Petzold's Transit. Did I miss something?

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com