People are raving about this new Netflix series (7 episodes) based on Walter Tevis's 1983 novel. It is outstanding serial filmmaking, both visually, and as a troubled prodigy's bildungsroman. Excellent cast. You don't need to know anything about chess (I didn't know anything except the basic moves when I read the novel, and that's about all I know now.)

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

• 1 month later...

I concur. In a weak year for new movies, this has been one of the most engaging pieces of narrative media.  Beth Harmon is almost too much the interior character but only almost. I appreciate the choices of what she verbalizes and what she doesn't.

20 hours ago, kenmorefield said:

...In a weak year for new movies...

Huh.  I've already got a safe dozen for my Best of Year list.  But yes, Queen's Gambit definitely merits the praise it's received.  Pretty sure it's my favorite new TV that Jessica and I watched in 2020.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

49 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Pretty sure it's my favorite new TV that Jessica and I watched in 2020.

Spoken like the viewer who never did get around to watching Cobra Kai even after it went to Netflix....

24 minutes ago, kenmorefield said:

Spoken like the viewer who never did get around to watching Cobra Kai even after it went to Netflix....

I'm glad you mentioned that, because you're right - and Jessica and I were floundering on what to watch next...

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

• 5 weeks later...

Nice commentary from Magnus Carlsen: "This draw offer is, quite frankly, insulting...."

Also liked, "He shouldn't smile there...he should be ashamed..."

Not surprisingly the essence is that the show tries to inject suspense or drama into a situation where world-caliber chess players would see there is none...