Warner Bros. Moves to Simultaneous Streaming and Theatrical Release

So, this news broke today.

WarnerMedia is pushing even more aggressively into streaming by releasing every single movie in 2021 simultaneously on HBO Max.

There are some limitations to the new business model. The movies will only stream on HBO Max for one month before leaving the platform for a period of time. They will also play in theaters, keeping the relationship with movie theater distributors like AMC and Regal. The plan is to run this experiment for one year.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/12/3/22150605/hbo-max-warner-bros-movies-2021-simultaneous-release-matrix-godzilla-suicide-squad-space-jam

So, is theatrical dead? Is this the final blow to attendance that began in 1950 after peaking in the late-40s?

Edited by Anders

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

i saw some people tweeting about this. 

I've got no problem with it; in fact, more content choices, so I'm good. As long as there are people who want to go to movies, I think movie theaters will survive, but there may be particular chains or indie theaters that don't.