Small Axe (Steve McQueen, 2020)

These are a wonderful anthology of films. Each is good (or better) in its own right, but they from something greater than the sum of their parts. This is McQueen's sharing of the world he grew up in, the West Indian diaspora in London from the 60s to the 80s.

It's hard to categorize this. I could have just as easily put it in the TV section. But it really does feel more like film. Some end of year lists include one or more of the films individually. The LA Film Critics Assn, named Small Axe as it's Best Picture.

I watched them slightly out of order (which I think is very unimportant).

Today, my favorite is Lovers Rock. But that could change tomorrow.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

This is next on my viewing list.  With the screeners for things that were unambiguously movies piling up in December, I put watching this on hold.  But now, with all the positive buzz surrounding this, and with my end of year responsibilities behind me, I'm keen to check it out.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

• 2 weeks later...

I would probably go with Mangrove > Lovers Rock > Alex Wheatle > Red, White and Blue > Education.  The first two are definitely superb; Mangrove makes Sorkin's Chicago Seven feel even more hamfisted than it is in actuality.  And the camerawork for Lovers Rock is a delight.  The last two films didn't fully work for me, with characters that felt more like types than full-blooded human beings.  Still, they're definitely worth watching as a whole, for a window into a marginalized community and on the strength of McQueen's craft.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I was pretty blown away by the whole anthology. I agree that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, but they're all pretty exceptional films in their own right. I understand why people like Lovers Rock the most as its freedom from narrative and amazing music and choreography and framing is stunning. But I think Mangrove is the best of the bunch. It just offers such a complete vision of community and a perceptive vision of how prejudice operates in society and how societal gains are made. I also loved Education more than probably anyone else. It's so short, but such an acute look at childhood and a particular type of student. It's also the one that's most like a parable, where Kingsley could be any child that is struggling at school for reasons they do not comprehend. I was floored by the confession scene in particular.

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com