The Return

Christian

It

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

HEY! I'm God fearing, GO LIONS. I suspect that in the next year or so, the kitties will finally stop the more than 60 year drought and win a game in D.C. We have some nice additions ourselves this year. BTW, we are targetting the Snow, uh, Super Bowl in '06 for our first championship since '57. blush.gif

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I hope the Lions starters look more impressive than the Redskins starters.

That was ugly.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 year later...

ALL TOGETHER NOW...

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old D.C.!

Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!

Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,

Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!

Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won

Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!

Hail to the Redskins!

Hail Victory!

Braves on the Warpath!

Fight for old D.C.!

• 2 weeks later...

Shall I lead us in another chorus??

Nah. But I will flag this story, which even the politically correct masses inside the D.C. Beltway scoff at.

In case you read the Seattle Times, it's "Redskins."

Red-skins.

R-E-D-S-K-I-N-S

From Washington, DC.

So it's "the Washington Redskins."

I mean, C'MON! We're 9-and-a-half point UNDERDOGS. Can't you at least use our full team name before you supposedly cream us on Saturday? ;)

• 1 year later...

Gibbs is back, baby! Look out Seattle: You'll be the next to fall! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Gibbs is back, baby! Look out Seattle: You'll be the next to fall! :)

Gibbs is gone, baby, gone!

I think the Times should have followed Gregg Easterbrook's lead: "Chesapeake Watershed Region Indigenous Persons" has a nice ring to it.

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

Alas, it is so. I'm glad he's going out after regaining some portion of his earlier reputation. Nice run at the end. Not pretty for most of his four years, however.

• 8 months later...

Indulge me for a moment please. Gibbs is long gone, replaced by another mild-mannered Christian, Jim Zorn, whose starters lost their final two preseason games in miserable fashion and got absolutely crushed in the first regular season game. It was dispiriting to say the least. Since then, the Redskins have reeled off four straight wins, the last two against divisional opponents (and despised rivals) considered the top contenders in the NFC East. Maybe more important, the Redskins are winning in the fourth quarter, coming back when needed -- something fans haven't seen for years, maybe decades, on any kind of regular (or even irregular!) basis.

These are the days.