A&F Top 25 -- Discussion and Calendar

In the past few years, we've made Top 25 themed lists when we were not doing a Top 100?

Do we want to continue doing so this year? If so, I propose the following calendar:

January -- Discussion of (and eventual vote on ) a theme.

February -- Nominations and discussion

March (early) -- Voting

April -- Posting Results and writing blurbs.

Of course, that is all negotiable. There may be people who have academic commitment or professional commitments. Just looking at the basic structure from years passed. I know at least one person thought our 2019 campaign a little stretched. Conversely, the pandemic may mean people are still a little more sheltered in winter and might be less inclined to stay tethered to the Internet once vaccine rollouts catch up. 

Any thoughts? Also, anyone want to take the lead on organizing?

I think a new top 25 list is a great idea. I'd be happy to take a leadership role. That timeline seems good to me.

I'll throw out movie musicals as a suggestion for a theme, although I'm open to any other topic as well.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

On 1/5/2021 at 10:26 AM, Evan C said:

I think a new top 25 list is a great idea. I'd be happy to take a leadership role. That timeline seems good to me.

I'll throw out movie musicals as a suggestion for a theme, although I'm open to any other topic as well.

I would be okay with that, though it is hard to tell if there is enough interest to proceed. 

I've never been a part of one of these processes before, but I'd be interested. As for time, I'll be stuck in lockdown probably until spring, so might as well use it productively. Movie musicals is a great suggestions.

"Someone like Jean-Luc Godard is for me intellectual counterfeit money when compared to a good kung fu film." - Werner Herzog

3brothersfilm.com

I know one other idea we had for a list was TV shows. I think Crime & Punishment was suggested in the last round. But I know Evan's been wanting to do Musicals for awhile, and I'm inclined (if we do this) to let whoever organizes have maximum input on selecting the topic.

• 4 weeks later...

January has come and gone, and I'm not really sure where we are at. We can certainly shelf this for now and ask again later in the year if Pandemic wanes. Or we can assume there isn't enough interest. Or we could assume that "if you build it, some will come" in a lurking fashion. 

Evan, do you have any thoughts on how you'd like to proceed? Go, wait, or abandon?

I won't be able to participate in the near future to any substantial degree, as it looks all but certain we'll be moving across country in early- to mid-March (home under contract, just waiting on appraisal).  And musicals are a major blind spot in my cinema knowledge, so regardless, this lacuna and the lack of time to amend it would affect my participation (sorry, Evan).

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I think if we went ahead we would get some lurkers, but I don't know if we'd get enough. I think I'd opt for revisiting it in April or May or so, in hopes that the pandemic has waned and people will have more time.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.