Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Screen Actors Guild nominees:

• Amy Adams (“Hillbilly Elegy”)
  • Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
  • Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
  • Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
  • Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)

The winner will be announced April 4.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Vote!

Note: the one difference between the Oscars and SAG is that the Oscars nominated Andra Day for The United States vs. Billie Holiday instead of Amy Adams for Hillbilly Elegy.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Screen Actors Guild nominees:

• Amy Adams (“Hillbilly Elegy”)
  • Viola Davis (“Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom”)
  • Vanessa Kirby (“Pieces of a Woman”)
  • Frances McDormand (“Nomadland”)
  • Carey Mulligan (“Promising Young Woman”)

The winner will be announced April 4.

And the winner is... Viola Davis!

On 4/4/2021 at 10:57 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

And the winner is... Viola Davis!

Wow, I thought this race was down to Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand. I would love to see Davis get a second Oscar, so hopefully this will make the award hers to lose.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I get the feeling Davis's win came as a surprise to a few people.

How predictive is the SAG award, I wonder...? These are the years when the SAG award (which has been around since 1994) and the Oscar have gone to different actresses:

• 2018 -- SAG: Glenn Close, The Wife / Oscar: Olivia Colman, The Favourite
  • 2011 -- SAG: Viola Davis, The Help / Oscar: Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
  • 2008 -- SAG: Meryl Streep, Doubt / Oscar: Kate Winslet, The Reader
  • 2007 -- SAG: Julie Christie, Away from Her / Oscar: Marion Cotillard, La Vie en Rose
  • 2002 -- SAG: Renee Zellweger, Chicago / Oscar: Nicole Kidman, The Hours
  • 1999 -- SAG: Annette Bening, American Beauty / Oscar: Hilary Swank, Boys Don't Cry
  • 1994 -- SAG: Jodie Foster, Nell / Oscar: Jessica Lange, Blue Sky

So, interestingly, the last time Viola Davis won a SAG award in this category, she lost to Meryl Streep at the Oscars. One might be inclined to say, "Oh, well, *of course* Streep got it," but, while Streep has been nominated *frequently* over the years, that was the first time she had actually *won* the award in almost two decades, so her victory wasn't guaranteed (although playing a famous real-life person does tend to boost one's chances of winning an Oscar these days; the award often seems to be as much for impersonation as it is for creating a dramatically compelling character).

Anyway. Even if we say "of *course* it went to Streep that year", there is no Streep nomination *this* year. The closest thing *this* year to an Establishment Nominee is Frances McDormand, who already has two Oscars -- one of them earned just three years ago -- and she hasn't really been campaigning for the award this year. Of course, Davis won her own Oscar in the *supporting* category just *four* years ago... which could mean that she's on a hot streak, or it could mean that some voters will think they need to spread the wealth a little more and give it to someone who has never won it before, like Mulligan... or maybe McDormand will just ride Best Picture frontrunner Nomadland's coat tails to an acting-award win, who knows...

Edited by Peter T Chattaway