Oscars 2021: Best Animated Feature

Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The eligible films:

• “Accidental Luxuriance of the Translucent Watery Rebus”
  • “Bombay Rose”
  • “Calamity”
  • “The Croods: A New Age”
  • “Demon Slayer -Kimetsu No Yaiba- The Movie: Mugen Train”
  • “Dreambuilders”
  • “Earwig and the Witch”
  • “Kill It and Leave This Town”
  • “Lupin III: The First”
  • “Mosley”
  • “My Favorite War”
  • “Nos Ili Zagovor Ne Takikh”
  • “No.7 Cherry Lane”
  • “On-Gaku: Our Sound”
  • “Onward”
  • “Over the Moon”
  • “Red Shoes and the Seven Dwarfs”
  • “Ride Your Wave”
  • “Scoob!”
  • “A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon”
  • “Soul”
  • “The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge on the Run”
  • “Terra Willy”
  • “Trolls World Tour”
  • “A Whisker Away”
  • “The Willoughbys”
  • “Wolfwalkers”

There are 27 contenders this year, which is fewer than last year's 32.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

The Art Directors Guild nominees in this category:

• “A Shawn the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon” (Matt Perry)
  • “Onward” (Noah Klocek)
  • “Soul” (Steve Pilcher)
  • “The Croods: A New Age” ( Nate Wragg)
  • “Wolfwalkers” (Ross Stewart, Tomm Moore, Maria Pareja)

The winner will be announced April 10.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Award nominees in this category:

• The Croods: A New Age
  • Onward
  • Over the Moon
  • Soul
  • Wolfwalkers

The winner will be announced April 16.

The Cinema Audio Society nominees in this category:

• A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
  • Onward
  • Soul
  • Trolls World Tour

The winner will be announced April 17.

Posted (edited)

The Visual Effects Society nominations:

Outstanding Visual Effects in an Animated Feature

• “Onward”
  • “Over the Moon”
  • “Soul”
  • “The Croods: A New Age”
  • “Trolls: World Tour”

Outstanding Animated Character in an Animated Feature

• “Onward” Dad Pants
  • “Over the Moon” Chang’e
  • “Soul” Terry
  • “The Spongebob Movie: Sponge On The Run” Spongebob

Outstanding Created Environment in an Animated Feature

• “Onward,” Swamp Gas
  • “Soul,” You Seminar
  • “Trolls: World Tour,” Techno Reef
  • “Trolls: World Tour,” Volcano Rock City

Outstanding Effects Simulations in an Animated Feature

• “Onward”
  • “Over the Moon”
  • “Soul”
  • “Trolls World Tour”
  • “The Willoughbys”

Plus one film is nominated against a television show and a video game in a category that straddles all three media:

Outstanding Virtual Cinematography in a CG Project

• “Ghost Of Tsushima” (A Storm Is Coming)
  • “Soul”
  • “The Mandalorian” (The Believer)
  • “The Mandalorian” (The Siege)

So: 5 nominations for Soul; 4 nominations for Onward; 4 nominations in 3 categories for Trolls World Tour; 3 nominations for Over the Moon; and 1 nomination apiece for The Croods: A New AgeThe Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run and The Willoughbys.

The winners will be announced April 6.

The Annie Award nominees:

10 nominations

• Soul -- Feature, direction, writing, production design, character design, character animation, storyboarding, FX, editing, music
  • Wolfwalkers -- Indie feature, direction, writing, production design, character design, character animation, voice acting (Eva Whittaker), storyboarding, FX, music

7 nominations

• Onward -- Feature, writing, production design, character animation, voice acting (Tom Holland), editing, music

6 nominations

• The Croods: A New Age -- Feature, character design, character animation, voice acting (Nicolas Cage), storyboarding, FX
  • Over the Moon -- Direction, writing, voice acting (Robert G. Chiu), storyboarding, FX, music
  • The Willoughbys -- Feature, production design, character design, character animation, editing, music

4 nominations

• Trolls Worlds Tour -- Feature, production design, character design, FX

3 nominations

• Calamity Jane -- Indie feature, direction, editing
  • A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon -- Indie feature, writing, editing

2 nominations

• Earwig and the Witch -- Storyboarding, voice acting (Vanessa Marshall)
  • Ride Your Wave -- Indie feature, direction

1 nomination

• On-Gaku: Our Sound -- Indie feature

The winners will be announced April 16.

Cartoon Brew on the Annie nominations:

There will likely be a lot of questions about why films like Wolfwalkers and Shaun the Sheep, which are respectively distributed by Apple TV+ and Netflix, are allowed to compete in the independent category. Apple is literally the most valuable company in the United States, worth over $2 trillion dollars. Netflix is the largest streaming service in the world. While they are technically eligible to compete in the category based on the Annie Awards’s own poorly written rules, it will be obvious to most that it’s unfair to let these films run against actual independent films made on modest budgets and without conglomerate marketing power.

The Producers Guild of America Awards nominees in this category:

• Onward
  • Over the Moon
  • Soul
  • Wolfwalkers

The winner will be announced March 24.

Posted (edited)

The ACE Eddie Award nominees in this category:

• The Croods: A New Age, James Ryan, ACE
  • Onward, Catherine Apple
  • Over the Moon, Edie Ichioka, ACE
  • Soul, Kevin Nolting, ACE
  • Wolfwalkers, Darragh Byrne , Richie Cody, Darren Holmes, ACE

The winner will be announced April 17.

Vote!

Aside from the two obligatory Pixar films and the computer-animated Glen Keane / Netflix film, the Oscars have also nominated a stop-motion film (which was also released by Netflix, at least in North America) and a hand-drawn film. The year's DreamWorks sequels (Trolls World Tour and The Croods: A New Age) were not nominated. So the Oscar nominations don't perfectly match *any* of the guild nominations.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 1:15 PM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Producers Guild of America Awards nominees in this category:

• Onward
  • Over the Moon
  • Soul
  • Wolfwalkers

The winner will be announced March 24.

And the winner is... Soul!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2021 at 10:51 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Visual Effects Society nominations: . . .

So: 5 nominations for Soul; 4 nominations for Onward; 4 nominations in 3 categories for Trolls World Tour; 3 nominations for Over the Moon; and 1 nomination apiece for The Croods: A New AgeThe Spongebob Movie: Sponge on the Run and The Willoughbys.

The winners will be announced April 6.

And the winners are... Soul in every category it was nominated in!

On 2/25/2021 at 8:32 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Art Directors Guild nominees in this category:

• “A Shawn the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon” (Matt Perry)
  • “Onward” (Noah Klocek)
  • “Soul” (Steve Pilcher)
  • “The Croods: A New Age” ( Nate Wragg)
  • “Wolfwalkers” (Ross Stewart, Tomm Moore, Maria Pareja)

The winner will be announced April 10.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:36 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Motion Picture Sound Editors Golden Reel Award nominees in this category:

• Onward
  • Over the Moon
  • Soul
  • Wolfwalkers

The winner will be announced April 16.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Annie Award nominees:

10 nominations

• Soul -- Feature, direction, writing, production design, character design, character animation, storyboarding, FX, editing, music
  • Wolfwalkers -- Indie feature, direction, writing, production design, character design, character animation, voice acting (Eva Whittaker), storyboarding, FX, music

7 nominations

• Onward -- Feature, writing, production design, character animation, voice acting (Tom Holland), editing, music

6 nominations

• The Croods: A New Age -- Feature, character design, character animation, voice acting (Nicolas Cage), storyboarding, FX
  • Over the Moon -- Direction, writing, voice acting (Robert G. Chiu), storyboarding, FX, music
  • The Willoughbys -- Feature, production design, character design, character animation, editing, music

4 nominations

• Trolls Worlds Tour -- Feature, production design, character design, FX

3 nominations

• Calamity Jane -- Indie feature, direction, editing
  • A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon -- Indie feature, writing, editing

2 nominations

• Earwig and the Witch -- Storyboarding, voice acting (Vanessa Marshall)
  • Ride Your Wave -- Indie feature, direction

1 nomination

• On-Gaku: Our Sound -- Indie feature

The winners will be announced April 16.

And the winners are...

• Soul -- Feature, writing, character animation, storyboarding, FX, editing, music
  • Wolfwalkers -- Indie feature, direction, production design, character design, voice acting (Eva Whittaker)

So there wasn't *quite* an even split between the two films, but very close.

On 3/11/2021 at 11:12 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The ACE Eddie Award nominees in this category:

• The Croods: A New Age, James Ryan, ACE
  • Onward, Catherine Apple
  • Over the Moon, Edie Ichioka, ACE
  • Soul, Kevin Nolting, ACE
  • Wolfwalkers, Darragh Byrne , Richie Cody, Darren Holmes, ACE

The winner will be announced April 17.

And the winner is... Soul.

On 3/2/2021 at 9:50 AM, Peter T Chattaway said:

The Cinema Audio Society nominees in this category:

• A Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon
  • Onward
  • Soul
  • Trolls World Tour

The winner will be announced April 17.

And the winner is... Soul.

So Soul has won all the guild awards it was eligible for, with the exception of a few key Annie awards (such as best director) that went to Wolfwalkers.