Oscars 2021: Best Original Score

Who WILL win?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oscar Music Eligibility Lists Revealed: ‘Soul’ In, ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ Out
Voters from the Academy’s approximately 375-member music branch will choose 15 songs and 15 scores for the shortlists (to be announced Feb. 9) that will be the basis for final voting for the five nominees in each category. The Academy qualified 105 songs and 136 scores.
Variety, February 1

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I don't know if there is any wisdom to be gleaned from the Hollywood Music in Media Awards, but, just in case:

• OUTSTANDING SCORE – FEATURE FILM
    NEWS OF THE WORLD (Universal Pictures / Netflix) – James Newton Howard
  • OUTSTANDING SCORE – INDEPENDENT FILM
    MINARI (A24) – Emile Mosseri
  • OUTSTANDING SCORE – ANIMATED FILM
    SOUL (Walt Disney Studios) – Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross, Jon Batiste
  • OUTSTANDING SCORE – SCI-FI/FANTASY
    TENET (Warner Bros. / HBO Max) – Ludwig Göransson
  • OUTSTANDING SCORE – HORROR FILM
    THE INVISIBLE MAN (Universal Pictures) – Benjamin Wallfisch
  • OUTSTANDING SCORE – DOCUMENTARY
    DAVID ATTENBOROUGH: A LIFE ON OUR PLANET (Netflix) – Steven Price
  • OUTSTANDING SCORE – INDEPENDENT FILM (FOREIGN LANGUAGE)
    BLIZZARD OF SOULS (DVĒSEĻU PUTENIS) (Access – A / Pandastorm) – Lolita Ritmanis 
  • OUTSTANDING SOUNDTRACK ALBUM
    PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (Capitol Records)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The shortlist, with the ones I have seen in bold:

• “Ammonite”
  • “Blizzard of Souls”
  • “Da 5 Bloods”
  • “The Invisible Man”
  • “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
  • “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”
  • “The Little Things”
  • “Mank”
  • “The Midnight Sky”
  • “Minari”
  • “Mulan”
  • “News of the World”
  • “Soul”
  • “Tenet”
  • “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

Notably, all but two of the Hollywood Media in Music Award winners are here on the shortlist, the exceptions being the documentary winner and the "soundtrack album" winner, which, now that I think about it, I'm guessing was a collection of pop songs rather than a musical score, per se.

Vote!

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

I somehow missed the fact that there is a Society of Lyricists and Composers, and that they gave their award in this category to Soul. (They also gave an award to Blizzard of Souls for best original score for an *independent* film, but that film isn't nominated for the Oscar.)