Oscars 2021: Best Original Song

Who WILL win?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oscar Music Eligibility Lists Revealed: ‘Soul’ In, ‘Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom’ Out
Voters from the Academy’s approximately 375-member music branch will choose 15 songs and 15 scores for the shortlists (to be announced Feb. 9) that will be the basis for final voting for the five nominees in each category. The Academy qualified 105 songs and 136 scores.
Variety, February 1

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I don't know if there is any wisdom to be gleaned from the Hollywood Music in Media Awards, but, just in case:

• OUTSTANDING SONG – FEATURE FILM
    “Io Si (Seen)” from THE LIFE AHEAD (LA VITA DAVANTI A SE) – Written by Diane Warren, Laura Pausini, Niccolò Agliardi. Performed by Laura Pausini (Netflix)
  • OUTSTANDING SONG – INDEPENDENT FILM
    “Everybody Cries” from THE OUTPOST – Written by Rod Lurie, Larry Groupé, Rita Wilson. Performed by Rita Wilson (Screen Media Films)
  • OUTSTANDING SONG – ANIMATED FILM
    “Just Sing” from TROLLS WORLD TOUR – Written by Max Martin, Justin Timberlake, Ludwig Göransson, Sarah Aarons (Universal Studios)
  • OUTSTANDING SONG – DOCUMENTARY
    “Never Break” from GIVING VOICE – Written by John Legend, Nasri Atweh, Benjamin Hudson McIldowie, Greg Wells, John Stephens. Performed by John Legend. (Netflix)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The shortlist, with the ones I have seen in bold:

• “Turntables” from “All In: The Fight for Democracy”
  • “See What You’ve Done” from “Belly of the Beast”
  • “Wuhan Flu” from “Borat Subsequent Moviefilm: Delivery of Prodigious Bribe to American Regime for Make Benefit Once Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan”
  • “Husavik” from “Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga”
  • “Never Break” from “Giving Voice”
  • “Make It Work” from “Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey”
  • “Fight For You” from “Judas and the Black Messiah”
  • “Io Sì (Seen)” from “The Life Ahead (La Vita Davanti a Se)”
  • “Rain Song” from “Minari”
  • “Show Me Your Soul” from “Mr. Soul!”
  • “Loyal Brave True” from “Mulan”
  • “Free” from “The One and Only Ivan”
  • “Speak Now” from “One Night in Miami...”
  • “Green” from “Sound of Metal”
  • “Hear My Voice” from “The Trial of the Chicago 7”

Notably, only two of the Hollywood Music in Media Award winners are on the shortlist here, said films being the songs from The Life Ahead and Giving Voice.

Vote!

• 1 month later...

I somehow missed the fact that there is a Society of Lyricists and Composers, and that they gave their award in this category to Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga.

I'm usually "meh" about Oscar songs, but I feel strongly that this performance should have created a special exception and caused "Husavik" to win, not just for Molly Sanden throwing heart and soul into the song, but especially for the chorus of Icelandic sweater-wearing children. Also, fireworks:

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)